MMM Motorhome Parking Guide - corrections & additions

terryW

It is not my intention to knock this well meaning publication but in just my limited knowledge there are a number of errors that a simple phone call could have checked and prevented. However, the following may assists others:

• CHARMOUTH - car park in lower sea lane had a 3 ton weight limit August bank holiday weekend, not sure if it applies all year or not.
  • Winchester - Fee is £3.00 for 24hrs but motorhome cannot be occupied overnight
  • Powys - Add both Newtown car parks to list (possible all Powys car parks). Extra long bays at Welshpool have been removed.
  • Ludlow - Parking is still free but bus is no longer free (70p last time I used it)
I understand that overnight parking at Winchester may be under discussion and i have tried to lobby the Council by Email and if anyone else wants to add their voice then try......

Parking@WINCHESTER.GOV.UK

terryW - 2011-09-03 9:02 PMIt is not my intention to knock this well meaning publication but in just my limited knowledge there are a number of errors that a simple phone call could have checked and prevented. However, the following may assists others:

• CHARMOUTH - car park in lower sea lane had a 3 ton weight limit August bank holiday weekend, not sure if it applies all year or not.
  • Winchester - Fee is £3.00 for 24hrs but motorhome cannot be occupied overnight
  • Powys - Add both Newtown car parks to list (possible all Powys car parks). Extra long bays at Welshpool have been removed.
  • Ludlow - Parking is still free but bus is no longer free (70p last time I used it)
I understand that overnight parking at Winchester may be under discussion and i have tried to lobby the Council by Email and if anyone else wants to add their voice then try......

Parking@WINCHESTER.GOV.UK

The MMM Parking Guide relies on information provided by readers and, if there are changes to the original information, relies on information about those changes being passed back to MMM. As far as I'm aware MMM makes no pro-active effort to confirm the accuracy of what readers say - if the readers provide wrong information to begin with or don't feed-back details of changes, then the Guide will become increasingly inaccurate. Hence, if you, personally, want the Guide to reflect the information you've just helpfully provided, then copy that information to the MMM editor for inclusionin the Guide. That way it will be available to all MMM readers, not just to a few forum members.As you say, the Ludlow Park & Ride scheme was changed fairly recently and the present conditions are more complex than before. Wrinklies with bus-passes (like me) can still use the service for free but only within specified time periods.

Guest Tracker
Derek Uzzell - 2011-09-04 8:14 AM

As far as I'm aware MMM makes no pro-active effort to confirm the accuracy of what readers say - if the readers provide wrong information to begin with or don't feed-back details of changes, then the Guide will become increasingly inaccurate..

Firstly I wist to express my gratitude to those members who have taken the time and trouble to supply information to MMM in good faith and I for one always assumed that MMM checked the accuracy prior to reprinting the guide each year?

Now that we know this is not correct we may as well bin the guide as an unreliable guide is potentially worse than no guide at all for anyone relying on it?

I don't quite know how members are supposed to know that it up to them/us to keep any info supplied to MMM updated when quite possibly they only visit the locations listed at very infrequent intervals?

When you get a new book of Aires or Sites - free or paid for - you naturally expect it to be updated from the previous edition - why else get an updated version?

Surely any reprinted book that has not been updated or checked for accuracy should clearly state this on the cover rather than potentially mislead people?

If this costs time and money then maybe a charge for the guide would be in order as I for one would prefer to pay for an accurate guide than get an unreliable one free of charge?

Guest Chloe MMM

Hi everyone,

Derek was correct in saying that MMM relies on reader input for the Motorhome Parking & Base Vehicle Servicing guide. We do call as many companies/councils as possible just we can't possibly get answers from everyone.

A huge thank you to all the readers who did send us corrections - if you haven't yet contacted us with any guide amendments, just email rachels@warnersgroup.co.uk

In the October issue we've actually got a guide update, where you'll find amendments to this year's guide. We'll also be putting a fully updated version online as soon as we can - keep an eye out for it on the motorhome channel of OAL.

Guest Tracker

Hi Chloe,

Thanks for the update.

Would it be possible to mark all the updated and verified entries as correct as at whatever date they were verified or corrected please so that we will know which entries are more likely to be sound and which might have changed prior to relying on them?

Thanks.

I agree with Tracker, just a simple "last updated" date would help then if the entry is getting on a bit, and is local to us, it will alert us to either confirm the entry or submit updates. I'm afraid that if it's not kept reasonably accurate then it will loose credibility and that would be a shame.

For my part we planned a family meeting at Charmouth on the basis of the information in the guide only to find a weight restriction prevented us from parking.

Certainly in the future I will try to do my part and provide updates when possible.

On that point can I add that the two car parks in Newtown, Powys are linked by a very pleasant wheelchair friendly path alongside the river Severn and for the more mobile, direct access to the Montgomery canal.

Archived