October break

cruiser

Hi Experts......just about to sit down and plan a low-cost week in the sun some time in October, flying from Ireland to Spain with a budget of around 1000 euro. Having said that, I was wondering if we could get more time in the sun if we took our camper instead? How would the costings work, for instance, to take a ferry from Cork to France or Spain, and then drive to the coast and camp up for a couple of weeks etc? Any thoughts, advice or warnings would be much appreciated.

Anyone done something similar? We're flexible with dates to a certain extent, and the budget could be bent a bit if tempted.....

Slaine for now!

Guest JudgeMental

It really all depends on the circumstances. Are you a family with children or a couple...Is it one week or 2 or more? as I dont think even 2 weeks is long enough to get somewhere with decent weather, and having a relaxing break, as half the time will be spent travelling? 8-)

Personally I think I would go for the flight..That is what we tend to do out of season.

Hows Cork City these days I was born there! lol

Guest Tracker

You might be lucky as the Atlantic Coast of France, Spain and Portugal can be lovely in October - but it can also be wet and windy - so if you want sunshine and warmth almost, but not quite, guaranteed you might find it better to head for the Med Coast of France or Spain?

The further South you go the better your chances and the further South you go the less appealing a long return drive becomes in the time available - unless you just happen to love driving!

Guest JudgeMental

I was going to say Vendee are as well (agreeing with the Tracker ...must be a first!)

if you enjoy cycling, walking etc.... and are just two adults, you can have a good time whatever the weather....

but you would have a more reliable holiday (weather wise) if you flew somewhere.

Spring bank holiday week we tend to go Brittany, Vendee, Loire etc...it has been very good last 4 years with the exception of last year, when the Vendee area had horrible weather.....not worth the drive!

Have to agree with Pjay - if you have 2 weeks a quick look at the forecast for La Rochelle (normally fine) is not especially good and Tenerife (endless sunshine and 30 deg+), I know where I'd go - pool, golf, wine, beer, strolling, sunbathing..............only a 4hr flight away.

However, if you have 6 weeks (or more)................another story.    

Archived