AutoTrail. Is their Halo slipping.

rolandrat

I have read the article in the latest magazine about an owners experience of his AutoTrail 630 and the problems he has had. The mention of severe damp because of a badly fitting window rings a bell because I had a similar problem and I know a friend of mine had a similar problem as well. Within 24hrs of owning mine I noticed rain water had come through the over cab bed window saturating the wall and mattress. I immediately went back to the dealer who noticed that the window wasn't fitting properly, it was put right whilst I waited but wasn't offered a new mattress. I always have regular habitation checks and was surprised to be told that the same window was causing damp to collect once again so it had to be taken out and resealed. When I part exchanged it some time later I was told by the dealer that the damp reading wasn't acceptable and would have to be stripped down and made good. Fortunately it was still under warranty so there was no charge.

I didn't have a problem with a spongy floor but then again I know that it could be a problem in the earlier models like the 630 era and it affected others as well. I was at the Peterborough show and looked at an AutoTrail and the first thing I noticed was the spongy floor, I called the dealer accross to look at it but he didn't seem surprised. At the end of the day it's how the dealer responds to putting the faults right that matters and it seems that the owner is quite happy with his 630.

My new Apache has some minor faults which should have been picked up on when it was going through its final inspection at AutoTrail or the PDI at the dealers, I'm now waiting for the dealer to respond, just now I'm going through the excuse stage and waiting for a call to say that the parts have arrived. The motorhome has been purchased from a dealer that I have never used before but my previous Tracker was bought from Richard Baldwins and the aftersales service was simply the best and will be a hard act to follow.

They are now fitting new metal framed windows. I have noticed that on some older ones the window frames seemed to distort. The main problem we had with our new AutoTrail was the entertainment system. We were not impressed that on a system costing nearly £1,000 there was no teletex facility, no program listing facility and it did not even put the programs in order which means clicking through a lot of channels to change program. Our first unit was replaced in the factory as it kept cutting out. When the new one did the same we eventually worked out that a too strong signal was swamping it. Turning the gain down on the arial in strong signal areas seems to have cured the problem. I see on the 1012 models they offer a satellite option.

Fortunately we mounted an Avtex in the back which has worked very well and at a fraction of price of the AutoTrail makes it look very silly. I must say AutoTrail have gone out of their way to help and were very appreciative of the feed back we gave them.

We bought a new Cheyenne 696SE in 2006, it had quite a few problems, it must have been back to the dealers a dozen times while we had it. I am afraid Autotrail lost their halo years ago for me.... we were glad to get rid of it just before the warranty expired.

Water leaked in through the semi-integrated awning moulding turning the internal wall cladding in the roof lockers to mush ....missed by the dealer habitation check but that's another story! We had severe crazing of the gel coat on the roof, the floor flexed by 1cm when anyone stood on the electric step, the badly fitting habitation door leaked, the habitation door lock disintegrated leaving us unable to secure the vehicle while away on holiday, not to mention the water leaks from pipework under the sink & the poor .quality radio/dvd player which was eventually replaced.

When problems are found when you take delivery of a very expensive motorhome it's the dealer or manufactures response that can take the sting out of the situation if they offer to get it into the workshop asap. What I hate is being passed from pillar to post and being left in mid air by some one who quite frankly couldn't care less promising to ring back but never do, making excuses that they are waiting for parts when you know that the manufacturer has an excellent overnight order response system in operation. Then they wonder why their name gets dragged through the mud and customer relations break down. There's nothing worse than being told by someone that the dealer you have bought your motorhome from that they had a nightmare experience with them and would never deal with them again. (OUCH). I sometimes think that the MD isn't aware what his staff are doing to his companies reputation.

Unfortunatey we bought an Autotrail last November and had innumerable problems with it, the biggest problem of which was with the Webasto heating system and it went back to Webasto and the dealer several times plus it had many other problems which could have been sorted out quite easily, however I am still waiting for parts 3 months after I was able to sell it.

What I can't understand is why people still buy another Autotrail if they have had problems. Both myself and several friends have changed back to Continental vans - problem solved.

Some years ago the company I worked for took delivery of a new HGV with a Webasto cab heater fitted it never performed right from day one, eventually it was removed and replaced, it was a load of C--P. Why Autotrail fitted them I'll never know because everyone I talk to haven't a good word for them and I know of two people who parted with their Autotrails not longer after buying them. If anyone is thinking of buying one with a Webasto heating system fitted look underneath at the ugly ducting. Autotrail have now dropped the models from the 2012 programme.

Lost its halo in 2003 as far as we are cocerned, quality did not match reputation. Purchased new Scout in 2003 - vehicle was returned to factory each during warranty as well as to the dealer. Final straw was that cracks appeared in regular pattern over the roof which a local caravan repairer said was being caused by items protruding into the glassfibre roof from below and therefore could not be perminantly repaired without removing the roof. Autotrail denied that this could be happening so I accepted their offer to do an external repair and immediatel part exchange for a new Niesmann & Bischoff Arto. I can definitely confirm that the reputation of N&B is justified.

Guest pelmetman

I think I need to see the quack again8-) as one day I read something derogatory about Auto trail by a poster, then the next day the same poster is saying the opposite("Auto Trail moving forward thread")8-)................??

Am I suffering from illusions of delusions:D  

pelmetman - 2011-09-05 7:29 PMI think I need to see the quack again8-) as one day I read something derogatory about Auto trail by a poster, then the next day the same poster is saying the opposite("Auto Trail moving forward thread")8-)................??

Am I suffering from illusions of delusions:D  
The trouble with Auto Trail owners is they want their vans to be well made but the truth is they are not, Auto Trail stick a lot of bells and whistles on a not very well constucted M/H and people buy them never understood why. Tin hat on now for in comming :-D Dave,

It's called criticism Pelmetman, fair criticism, certainly not disrespectful as derogatory means. I dont think there is a manufacturer out there who gets it right every time and people should be able to accept it. Sometimes things can go wrong on a production line or a design might have a problem just like the juddergate problem but we move on. They are eventually resolved. I dont see anything wrong with giving credit where it is due and AutoTrail must have decided to change to metal windows for a reason.

Guest pelmetman
rolandrat - 2011-09-05 8:01 PMIt's called criticism Pelmetman, fair criticism, certainly not disrespectful as derogatory means. I dont think there is a manufacturer out there who gets it right every time and people should be able to accept it. Sometimes things can go wrong on a production line or a design might have a problem just like the juddergate problem but we move on. They are eventually resolved. I dont see anything wrong with giving credit where it is due and AutoTrail must have decided to change to metal windows for a reason.

Just confused then Roland:D.......Yesterday you start a thread about an article in MMM criticizing Auto Trail, then today you start another saying how wonderful they are:-S 

Guest pelmetman
For a bit of balance Roland I have copied your your post on the other thread to here:D.......................? are you getting a back hander(lol)
The good thing about AutoTrail is if you have a problem there is someone on the end of a phone to give you advice, it might not always be what you expect to hear but it will be resolved eventually. Their workshop is geared up for major work so they expect you to go to the dealer for minor and small repairs. When it first opened you could get an appointment very quickly but since then it seems to have become very busy. The parts department have a very good customer order set up where you can place an order over the phone which will be posted directly to your home address, you don't have to go via a dealer.

What was printed in 3mmm's was an owner passing on in his own words about his Autotrail 630 and there are owners out there who have had similar problems. I for one had a bad experience with a leaking window, three times it was picked up on so what ever was causing it wasn't through misuse just badly fitted or warped. We can go on being critical about various aspects of motorhomes but at the end of the day they are very very expensive to buy and I see nothing wrong with highlighting areas to look out for when you are thinking of spending your hard earned cash, it could be any make of motorhome that we are being critical of. Someone is going to buy my old motorhome and they will be unaware of the previous damp problem but hopefully it has now been cured.

Guest pelmetman

I have a 3ltr Autotrail that is 100% trouble free and runs like a dream, it handles well on the road with virtually no roll at all and is so smooth and quiet. The power that the engine develops with effortless low down torque makes all the difference when climbing hills as well. Now I've been spoilt forever and nothing else will ever live up to the same expectations as this.

Beware the search feature Roland:D

Is this glowing reference about your latest van??? 

The 3ltrTracker I owned was as I said, confirmed by pelmetman. Apart from the damp problem which I thought had been rectified each time it had its habitation check. The only reason for the change to the Apache 634 is because our previous one to the Tracker was a Cheyenne 634 on a Merc chassis and the layout is much better than the compact Tracker. Critics in the entertainment world get paid for their work, we just have personal opinions whether right or wrong. If a manufacturer didn't get any feedback about his products I think he would be very worried, their research and development departments would probably close down. Just an after thought about the previous window system that was fitted, Autotrails used to have aluminium sidewalls which were very smooth and no doubt the plastic window frames sealed very well then they introduced the composite sidewall which probably wasn't compatable and could have been causing the odd failure so now metal framed windows are being used and hopefully the problem has been solved.

I now have another gripe to sort out, I've noticed that the stitching on the habitation seating is coming apart on both sides, this is after only one trip out. The supplying manufacturers name is on the back so I will be giving them a ring shortly. Autotrail are in no way to blame for this, I'm aware that nearly everything they use to build their motorhomes is bought in from various suppliers. Maybe it could have been picked up on final inspection maybe not.

Everything was wrong with my heating. Firstly We could not drain the system when it got cold, took it to the dealer and they could not drain the system either so in the end it went back to Webasto in Mansfield who did manage to drain it. Then after that we could not keep the water in the system as it kept self dumping. We spent all winter carrying a 5 gallon drum of water with us. When we got that sorted the blown air system would not blow any hot air into the lounge area but the bathroom was lovely and warm. Right from the beginning you could not have hot water and heating at the same time unless you run it continually.

Thankfully we managed to sell it after 6 months.

Apart from the entertainment system we have so far had very little wrong with our Auto Trail but I must say their attitude to customers is very good. They are always prepared to listen to you and where required give good advice from people who know what they are talking about. When the dealers could not fix the problem with our entertainment system they were happy to have us take the motorhome back into the factory to have the problem fixed there and also fixed three minor problems that required some adjustment and the replacement of a fan light blind that they quicky diagnosed as having a bent roller spindle. The dealer had had a go at that one and I'd had it to bits twice!

Had this been an imported van this would not have been possible and from what I hear some other UK manufacturers are less than keen to have units returned to their factories.

The fact that I know that should it ever be required they can carry out major repairs and can supply spare parts quickly is also a comfort.

The fact is that all motorhomes are made in relatively low volume across a wide range of models, are complicated vehicles and it is unrealistic to expect the sort of reliability one could expect from say a car.

I was at an AutoTrail Factory Rally two years ago when people were buying the Excel range that had the webasto system fitted, the guy next to me had a new 670 and he was far from happy. He had just driven up from Hampshire after getting his motorhome back from the dealer and the webasto still wasn't working so I got on my back and went underneath it to see a complete mess. One of the main trunking duct pipes was completely disconnected and was full of road grit, the whole system was a complete mess. As it was the annual factory rally a fitting crew go around doing minor adjustments but they told him to take his to the factory the following Monday. How he went on I dont know. He was far from happy. What the reason was to fit Webasto when the Truma is a tried and trusted heater we might never know.

Archived