The Story So Far

Bolly1965

I bought Valerie in July 2001, a 1999 Ford Transit based Herald Valencia, and had a couple of trips out and enjoyed them immensely. I have made a few repairs and improvement (thanks to loads of advice from here!) and wanted to let you know what I have done and what I'm considering doing. So here goes.

1. Major clean using Fenwick's Motorhome Cleaner and Boby Dazzler - forgot how afraid of heights I was until i tried to clean the roof. Anyone know if it's safe to walk on the roof?

2. Cleaning the bumper using a wide variety of products including: WD40, Sugar Soap, Auto Glym Bumper Care and Mer Bumper Care

3. Changed the Ford 6-disc CD player for a unit with DVD/MP3 and Sat Nav

4. Adjusted the shelf in the kitchen area to accept a small microwave

5. Got rid of the smell from the water water tank using Washing Soda, Bio Washing Liquid and Orange Cordial (not all together!)

6. Bought a Waste Hog and and 50 litre waterhog - cobbled together a pump which connects to the 12V supply through the window and with a pipe to feed into the on-board tank - QESTION - there seems to be a lot of water comes back out of th filler neck. I cannot seem to get a hose far enough down the filler neck to stop this ( it goes through an S configuration before it reaches the tank. I have thought of using one of those filler caps but how do i know when the tank is full unless something comes back out?

7. Reaired a faulty blind mechanism using double sided tape!

8. Bought non-slip rubber matting from B&M (69p) and some very cheap small plasti baskets - lined the overhead lockers and can just fit 2 baskets per locker.

9. Replaced the horrible amber indicator lenses with white ones (with amber bulbs) - looks far better in my opinion.

10. One of the strip lights was not working - seems it was a broken wire but what a pig to get at. The lights (6 of them) are fixed on top of the overhead lockers (giving a lovely ambient lighting at night) with little clearance above. Initially I tried to unscrew the trim in front of the lights but found it was glued on too. Finally found a 90 degree ratchet screwdriver set a Machine Mart (25mm which didn't reach the screws) then managed to get a 50mm long bit, which was too long. A lot of messing around I managed to get the screws out - solder on new wires and (after a lot of expletives) refitted the light.

11. Replaced the Status booter, which was not working and fitted a flat panel quick release bracket.

12. eplaced one of the rooflight flyscreen and blind (why are these bits of plastic so expensive??)

12a. Bought a suitcase satellite kit - can't figure it out!

So - now on to things I am considering doing:

a) Have the seating and cab seats reupholstered in a beige/brown more modern fabric - there is a caravan upholsterer near me but I dread getting a quote. anyone any ideas of cost?

b) Replace the curtains with some made of a plain dark brown fabric (could be home made depending on cost)

c) Replacing steel wheels with new alloys - I have priced us some designed for a commercial vehicle and it doesn't seem to expensive - but wonder if it's worth it as I may upgrade the van in a year or two - and will alloys increase the value?

d) find a way of replacing the puny waste tank with something larger - at least twice the size. I will await making a decision until I see how we go on with the wastehog

e) Adding a second leisure battery (as the first is under the bonnet itl ooks like they will be some distance apart. not sure how I'm going to go about this)

f) buy a TOAD - something like a Mircrocar or Aixom (may just try a couple of bikes I could do with the £250 from You've Been Framed!

g) Create a new grill - I really hate the 'smiley' grill and may fashion something out of a second hand front panel - just to be on the safe side

h) Vinyl cut Valerie in a similar font to the Valencia sticker to go over the bonnet - quite subtle - I have a machine that will cut vinyl so can sort that any evening/

Any other suggestions??

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6210/6112471349_e85e2f8e05.jpg

Bolly1965 - 2011-09-04 6:02 PM

I bought Valerie in July 2001...

And you've managed all that in 10 years, wow :D :D :D How long to complete your wish list :D

Now to be serious, I personally wouldn't bother with Alloys. I don't think aftermarket ever look as good as OEM and you will have to convince your insurer that they are of the correct load carrying capacity for your MH. Also 2nd hand buyers may well prefer the original steel wheels, after all you can easily touch them up with a can of 'steel wheels'.

Have a look at CAK Tanks for replacement waste tanks, they stock a massive range and have many made to measure ready to fit different chassis.

And again my personal view, do you need a TOAD? We bought a Ka and never got round to ever towing it before scrapping it for the Govt's two grand. We drive everywhere we want to go or cycle for pleasure.

All my personal views as I'm sure others will disagree.

Keith.

Archived