Which Type of Waterproof Jacket?

BGD

Having had Regatta, Craghopper, Goretex etc jackets this is my view:

3 in 1 jackets - forget them, they are expensive and can be a pain in the bum to zip the fleece in/out of, much easier (and cheaper) to have a normal type fleece which you can wear underneath (make sure the outer jacket has a little extra room in it to accommodate it). The fleece is the bit that usually wears out first, so in the end you have just an outer jacket anyway and then buying a replacement fleece to zip in it can be expensive.

We bought 2 Isotex jackets from a motorhome show last year to use in our canoes and on our cycles - they are windproof and waterproof and breathable so we don't got hot and sweaty in them. They cost the princely sum of £5 each - in bright blue (good as very visible) - last few in stock and are a longer length than your average jacket with the rear having a bit of a 'tail' to them. Usually we get Regatta or such like, again from motorhome shows, for around £10-£15, usually the previous season's 'style', but so what.

We've had cheaper types of jackets but they tend to make you sweat, you make a 'crispy' noise when you walk around and they are heavier, and often are not wind proof, or that waterproof. You really do need to try on jackets to see if they suit/fit properly, so if you do intend buying off the web, make sure you've done some actual 'physical' trying on somewhere to know which one you want first. Make sure you can pull them in with a waist cord and that they have cuff that can be tightened to stop draughts, also that the neck isn't too 'slack' as there's nothing worse than a gale blowing down your back ... or chest!!!! :$ Ideally a roll-up hood is best with an adjuster on it so you can get it to sit just right over your face and don't end up going around looking like a monk and that it can be tightened to prevent it being blown off in windy weather! Useful to have several internal pockets too (not usually available on 3 in 1 jackets) to safely keep your stuff out of the rain).

Many many thanks for all replies.

After long consideration and loads of internet research and review-reading, I've finally opted for a longer length Goretex "shell" jacket: A Berghaus Long Cornice Jacket:

http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/catalog/view/berghaus-long-cornice-jacket-mens

(This was the best price I could get - one other company, "Go Outdoors" do a "we'll beat anyone else by 10% offer, and indeed they agreed that they would do so when I referred them to the above advert, but they could only supply the jacket in vomit-green colour, so I declined.)

It seems to promise the best solution to my likely demands of such a garment here in Spain and when trundling around other parts of Central Europe in the MH; and also should pack smallish for carrying in luggage when doing similar tours around mainland Europe on our Motorbike too.

You've done well Bruce -- what a good price -- my Berghaus goretex anorak is about 7 years old (and still keeping me warm/dry in all conditions -- cycling/sailing walking/scrambling (its tough too!) in the U.K. -- but it cost about the same as yours -- if I remember correctly.

For really demanding conditions --e.g. staying in one position in a downpour all day when birdwatching or fishing I might perhaps consider the 'state-of- the -art' products of Paramo - the mountain equipment shops in the Dales were full of them when I was there a few weeks ago -- but they are 'arm & a leg' expensive, and as Nick (Euroserve) says, probably too technical for your (or my) needs.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Colin.

Archived