toilet/shower

tonyg3nwl

Hi, On holiday in the south of france back in June wehad been using the toilet as normal, and decided that at the next convienent stop (pun intended), we would do the empty operation.

Having climbed up into the high ground, needs must overtook me, so a quick pit stop on a layby, and visit to the little room resulted. I attempted to open the cassette, but it was stuck. Eventually I forced it open and the rapid depressurisation was dramatic.

I need not describe the effect but a change of clothing and shower was necessary before continuing.

I dont advise forcing the cassette open if you have your head in the clouds!!!

tonyg3nwl

Guest Tracker

Welcome to the school of new and worthwhile experiences Tony!

We too learnt that one the hard way, although not quite as dramatic as yours, and now if we so much as suspect a change of altitude I simply open the locker door, slide out the cassette, press the air/vacuum relaese button and shove the cassette back in ready to use safely and without the ornamental fountain!

I guess you will too from now on!

There used to be a pressure release valve- have they cut this out ? I have done the same trips and to avoid the problem I leave a chink open on the slide valve and never had a problem so far. No doubt you will be cautious from now on but prevention must be better than cure. Trust me i'm a G4.

One advantage of the SOG is that the cassette is permanently vented and thus no pressure build up.we had a reverse experience recently in the Mountains in Norway, we stopped and had coffee ,taking water from our 5 litre plastic water container, closing the lid on the container after use, when we stopped again at a lower level and tried to use the water container we found it had imploded due to higher air pressure at this lower level, no problem as ,as soon as it was opened it returned to normal shape.

tonyg3nwl - 2011-09-05 10:49 AM Hi, On holiday in the south of france back in June wehad been using the toilet as normal, and decided that at the next convienent stop (pun intended), we would do the empty operation. Having climbed up into the high ground, needs must overtook me, so a quick pit stop on a layby, and visit to the little room resulted. I attempted to open the cassette, but it was stuck. Eventually I forced it open and the rapid depressurisation was dramatic. I need not describe the effect but a change of clothing and shower was necessary before continuing. I dont advise forcing the cassette open if you have your head in the clouds!!! tonyg3nwl

And I thought that that only happened to me.......................B-)

Archived