Wappy idea....or is it?

SAS

Hi all, been having an interesting discussion with brother-in-law and wife. They are coming up to retirement and are planning to buy a new m/h (he seems intent on buying `something on a Merc`) and then to take a year traveling around the coastal roads of England & Wales .... then selling m/h after completing the adventure. They say they will let their house to help finance the trip.

Neither of them are familiar with the lifestyle or ever even had a holiday in a m/h. Have tried explaining the downsides to them: what happens if you are took ill, m/h suffers mechanical failure, the cold miserable winter weather, get homesick, fed up with each other in confined space ......? Their reply was " Well we`ll be in the brown stuff then." They have no family who they could go to as they havn`t got any kids. Any further opinions...?

Guest pelmetman

Tell them don't buy new.........Buy one for sale "due to ill health"......It's not about the money its about doing "IT"............before its to bloody late8-)

F***k the salesmen you can have the lifestyle for less than a cost of a new car*-)

i agree with pelmetman.do not buy new a lot of motorhomes out there at reasonable cost.ill health in gb any hospital/doctors will do.just make sure you have the right layout to suit you i.e.lounging areas etc.just go for it i did after 2 heart attacks!

No, it is a brilliant idea. Already told not to buy new. Exceptional vans are for sale second or third hand for a fraction of the cost of a new one. They need to go to as many showrooms as possible to find out the ideal layout for 'them'. Also - what additions they want, and they will want things when spending a year in the van. Lots of things spring to mind, Gas, electricity (or adequate 12v) TV, camp sites or CS/CL's etc. My own view is that they should have some experience first even if that means they have to hire a van. They may of course be able to borrow an Autosleeper Talisman 2.8Hdi for a couple of weekends. Insurance can cover mechanical breakdown and within the UK they have the NHS. The other thing to consider is that if the house is empty then they only pay half council tax. They will not use the utilities so much and therefore make savings in that respect. Food is food wherever you are so they just have fuel and sites to consider. It may be they do not have to let out their house. (most people don't like to but have to on occasions.)

Go for it they can get fed up with each other at home in the cold miserable winter weather so what?

Arthur Brown

'HE' starts off with the right idea - get the base right and you have fewer problems no matter what the layout.

But good advice from those who say try it first. Just hire a van, any van. Then they will get to know what they want and more important, what they don't want.

Tell them to think ahead - too many people buy a van that 'ticks all the boxes' then find they can't take the grandkids because of lack of seat belts or the cheapo chassis won't allow them to tow a car/boat/trailer.

Tell them to read the forums, visit the shows, talk to owners and read MMM and the other one to get as much information as possible before they buy.

If they have camped / self catered / or chartered a boat they will have some idea of the lifestyle.

It does not suit everyone so some caution is called for.

Again,agree with a great deal of what has been posted already..

..although personally,I don't think I'd be limiting myself to just looking at one base vehicle....as this will seriously cut down on the available choice...

As long as it's sorted and not a nail(..and can reverse okay ;-) ),I would've thought that most base vehicles will propel their chosen "home" around pretty much as good as the next....after all,it's the "layout" that they'll be living in...

Guest Tracker

A used van from a group like Marquis with branches all over the country and with a full 12 month warranty would be my chosen method, plus if the chosen van does not suit an exchange can more easily be arranged.

A winterised and properly heated and insulated van is important too - and there is nothing wrong with the previous model Boxer / Ducato for reliability.

I prefer the Boxer out of choice because I have found most Peugeot dealers very helpful when you get a problem away from home - plus there are lots of them compared to Merc?

I constantly read on various threads this "dont buy new" advice .........why noy buy new ?, if you can afford it then buying something brand new out of the box is a very nice experience. If the couple in question have the available funds then dont put them off buying a new un or there will be one less van available in another year or so for those of you that require a used un for whatever reason.

Yes I know all about depreciation blah blah but I for one like to buy something that no one else has slept in or showered in or had there dogs in.

As for the original question I am with others who have stated that the most important thing above all is the layout, and ensuring that it is right for you. However this will be very hard if you have no experience of caravans or MH's. Next thing I think would be the logistics like were your post is going too. Sounds jolly good fun though and I am sure that any problems encountered will be overcome.

ips - 2011-09-06 10:42 AM

I constantly read on various threads this "dont buy new" advice .........why noy buy new ?, if you can afford it then buying something brand new out of the box is a very nice experience. If the couple in question have the available funds then dont put them off buying a new un or there will be one less van available in another year or so for those of you that require a used un for whatever reason.

Yes I know all about depreciation blah blah but I for one like to buy something that no one else has slept in or showered in or had there dogs in.

As for the original question I am with others who have stated that the most important thing above all is the layout, and ensuring that it is right for you. However this will be very hard if you have no experience of caravans or MH's. Next thing I think would be the logistics like were your post is going too. Sounds jolly good fun though and I am sure that any problems encountered will be overcome.

Great point about the 'never been whatevered in' but i have also read a great many threads about motor caravanning NOT being for them; often after considerable expenditure.

Lets say the couple in question have £80k burning a hole in their pocket.

They spend, as some have suggested, £65k+ on something (undoubtedly lovely) and after a short time decide that it is not for them. They will lose about £15k by disposing of it quickly and that will leave them with £65k for a big car and caravan combination which might not suit them either and that experiment will cost them a good £10k when they dispose of that. Now £50k is not much to go shopping for a cottage in Spain with but perhaps they have other funds available so off they go and spend £10k taking all of their stuff to Spain and bringing it all back again when they realise that the sun does not shine every day.

I could go on; and many others have, but the point is that eventually the only benefit of so many misguided adventures is that when they have to go into retirement homes they have reduced their stash to below the threshold where they would have to pay their own way!

Sound advice would be to buy second or third hand. If you spend £25 to 30K wisely you will get most of it back if it is a mistake. You will still have choices, and at the end of the day that is not to be squandered.

Nick

Yes but one is assuming that money is an issue, if its not then losing 15k after a six months is irelevent to them. Another thing is this, if someone buys a new MH and keeps it for 5 years or more then they will lose very little if its still in good nick. We looked at a lot of vans in june 2009 when we bought our current van and there was a lot of absolute dogs out there for very little under the cost of a new MH hence we bought new. We were I suppose very lucky as we had hard cash to spend after having sold our boat so it didnt seem to hurt that much the money was only in the bank account for a matter of days.

In conclusion, personally I would much rather spend 5-10k more for a new un for the very reasons outlined earlier.

Tell them to get a van with a large payload and good storage if they plan to be in it long term as if they don't and are continually falling over stuff in the van it will drive them mad, a good winterised van is a must also make sure they in fact have the correct driving licence to drive a large vehicle if it is over 3.5 tonnes too.An address for full timing is also very important for Insurance if they don't get full timing Insurance. I have a Tag Axle Hymer B694 fixed rear bed over a large Garage with double floor and loads of storage ,ideal for full timing 2003 reg and we are going to downsize soon and I am looking for around £30,000 for it ,just to give you an example of what is about,

This is getting out of hand.

If ANYONE has £15k to waste in a short term experiment I would either question their sanity or doubt the validity of asking these questions on a forum in the first place!

If you have money to burn; it's not exactly worth raising the point is it?

Buy the biggest gin palace you can find in stock and see how it works out. You might wish that it had a hot tub after a few weeks but what the heck?

For absolutely everyone else: If you have not done this before you would be better advised to rent one or buy something less expensive.

Nick

Guest Tracker

As was stated originally they intend renting out their home to help pay for the venture.

That suggests that money, or the need to be careful with it, is an issue?

Personally I am quite happy with a used van and I would find that far more palatable than having some unknown oiks living in my home unsupervised for a year?

It's all a question of priorities and perceptions innit?

Guest JudgeMental

Why only England? Surely the weather alone is enough of an incentive to be more adventurous *-)

Others may also add the culture, food and the drink! probably the poorest in Europe? Whilst Moi could not possibly comment.... :-S

Firstly they need to look at the insurance on their house. If it is left empty for that length of time I doubt the policy will cover them. They may either need to have a modified policy or do as we do and have the Gardner (just what we call our daughter) come round and inspect the house (after she has cut the lawn) on a regular basis.

Secondly I rather suspect they have set their sites on a Merc assuming it to be be better than other alternatives. If either suffers from motion sickness they should think again as they roll about all over the place. A friend of ours who always has to have the best and biggest had one and described the ride in side winds or undulating roads as being in the white knuckle category.

Having said that you only live once so why not go for it. The idea of waking up dead one morning and wishing you had whilst alive is not attractive.

It seems they have a modest(ish) budget, so little point, IMO, paying a premium for a Mercedes base for just one year. Whether new or used is a personal preference: no point debating that. They will do as they wish.

They wish to tour UK coastal areas. They will find this takes them down many narrow roads. This will make a large, wide, van something of an encumbrance. If one of them is a life long coach, or HGV driver, this may not trouble them; if the largest thing they have previously owned/driven is a standard family car, it may. In either event, if they get a coachbuilt van, they may be surprised by how easily these can be damaged by roadside vegetation. So, for peace of mind while driving, I'd say stay as close as possible to 2.0 metres wide, and not significantly over 6.5 metres long.

This side of their plan suggests a van conversion, but I don't think van conversions are really suited for such extended use, or in general, for winter use.

If they truly intend to keep going throughout the winter, I'd definitely suggest planning that part of their trip for the milder parts of the country!

For reasonably reliable use in winter they should ensure that whatever they get has an in-board fresh water tank, and a heated waste tank. Forget insulated, heated, underslung fresh tanks, they are an energy hungry, unsatisfactory, cobbled-up compromise. They should also ensure that none of the water supply pipework is routed beneath the van floor and, if at all possible, that none of the waste pipework is either.

They will need good gas capacity, say 2 x 13kg cylinders min.

All this points to a German, or maybe French, made van. Of the Italians, possibly Liaka, Arca, or Mobilvetta, subject to the above provisos, but AFAIK, few of the other Italian makers pay that much attention to detail. The British makers tend to build a mid-season van, and then try to dress it up (in my view generally unconvincingly) for winter use. Many have gas lockers only suitable for the Calor type 7kg cylinders, underslung water tanks, plus underslung water and waste pipework.

Brian Kirby - 2011-09-06 6:26 PM

It seems they have a modest(ish) budget, .

If we read the original post the gentlemen in question intends to buy new in the knowlege that he will sell it in 12 months, if we assume that he is reletively inteligent then he accepts that money will be lost therefore his budget and his meens must be quite high.

I cannot possilbly be the only one on here who buys new.

Great idea.

Just go and do it. get on with it. Who gives a toss about layouts, payload, winterisation, base vehicle, etc etc etc.

If they don't like it after 3.5 days or hours, big deal. It's their money, choice and business.

Not everyone researches everything right down to the colour of the screws in the fridge door.

Buy new, why not. I do. Buy second hand if you want, others do. Funny enough.

I had a good friend who bought a brand new motorhome, it cost him about £33k, 6 months later flogged it for £25k. His response? We didn't like it. £8k gone in 6 months, not bothered.

Martyn

Guest JudgeMental

What I dont understand is people reach retirement and all of a sudden have an epiphany and decide motorhoming is for them! when they no absolutely nothing about it...Wheras the rest of us have been "at it" (camping etc..) for 20 - 40 years or thereabouts :-S

We are just out of August which was bad enough ( I was here for half of it :-S) And I cant imagine having an enjoyable trip over the last few days let alone through our Looooong winter... Do any of you saying "yeah great idea!" remember last winter I wonder...

If they can potentially afford to lose £15,000 then they could stay in hotels . B&Bs or rent comfortable accommodation in different areas of the country and explore by car...at least they would be comfortable.

But not for me I'm afraid the UK (have seen most of the interesting bits) holds little interest to be honest and I cant think of a bleaker excursion....

Two round the world air tickets I reckon :D

LordThornber - 2011-09-06 9:01 PM

Great idea.

Just go and do it. get on with it. Who gives a toss about layouts, payload, winterisation, base vehicle, etc etc etc.

Martyn

I agree with the "just do it" sentiment but as to "...who gives a toss"..well,I would hazard a guess that it would probably be the ones trying to live in it full time and finding that the layout means that they're tripping over each other,whilst shiverin' to death...(lol) ...and repeatedly getting pulled over by the old bill and getting done for being overloaded... (lol)

Archived