Help Please - tip-up sink problem

everhopeful

I have an Elddis Autoquest with a tip-up toilet sink and it looks like the pipe inside the sink has come off the trap.

Water now fills the inside of the sink instead of going down the pipe, and it all comes out of the join between the two halves of the sink when it is tipped, going everywhere in the process!

When the sink is tipped something is rattling inside, but my problem is how do I get in there to fix it?

Does the sink come out? Does it come in half?

As I'm in the middle of a long spell away I'd really appreciate any advice on how to fix this.

Thanks

Tip up sinks can sometimes be removed by lowering the sink into its use position. If you hold the sink at each side you can then usually, by applying light pressure pull one side of the sink out of the retaining holes.

The sink will probably be held in by two moulded lugs, one on each side of the sink, these are held into what I would call retaining holes, perhaps slots. Pulling the sink out like this will appear brutal but thats how its done. Refitting is the reverse.

The sink will be then loose in your hands and you will be able to see the flexible drain hose. Whether you will be able to seperate the two halfs of the sink I don't know but if you try and it breaks or cracks you will need a decent mastic/glue to refix.

My sink broke because if we lowered it whilst the toilet seat was up the two clashed with the result that the sink cracked and broke. We were also away for a long break, excuse the pun, so we had to resort to buying a small plastic bowl that would fit in the sink, and we were able to use that until we got home. If you are in mainland Europe try the Chinese shops, they have loads of plastic bowls

Thanks for that. Marvin.

I've had a prise at the sides but from what you say I've not been brutal enough.

By undoing the screw in the trap centre I can now see that the pipe has indeed just come off the spigot on the trap. It's doubtful if I'll be able to push the pipe back on with fingers in the trap hole, but I'll give that a go first.

I like your idea of a bowl in the basin in the short term, and I may stop at that until I get home because if I wreck the sink prising at it I'll have nowhere to put a bowl!

Thanks again

Archived