Wheel Trims/Tyre Valves

penny

I've used two different wheel trims over the years and have experienced sudden Tyre deflation on three occasions due to split tyre valves. Think this has been due to the Trim retaining 'hoop' rubbing against the tyre valve.

Are there any trims available that do not pose this risk?

Failures have only occurred on rear tyres (both sides). Running on Michelin Camping @ 85psi.

I haven't heard of anyone else suffering this, any guidance most welcome.

Penny, it has happened to me but fortunately I heard air escaping in its parking space at home so I jacked it up and removed the wheel. The valve had split due to the wheel trim rubbing up agaist it, because of this I checked them all and I considered myself lucky as they were all ready for splitting so one by one I took them to my local tyre depot to have new valves fitted. At least I was at home where I have the right tackle to deal with them.

Are you sure the wheel trims are the cause? There was a problem of valve failure with the use of rubber valves at the high tyre pressures used in motorhomes. The problem was solved by fitting metal valves. Do a search on here and/or other forum(s) for information.

penny - 2011-09-06 10:55 AM

I've used two different wheel trims over the years and have experienced sudden Tyre deflation on three occasions due to split tyre valves. Think this has been due to the Trim retaining 'hoop' rubbing against the tyre valve.

Are there any trims available that do not pose this risk?

Failures have only occurred on rear tyres (both sides). Running on Michelin Camping @ 85psi.

I haven't heard of anyone else suffering this, any guidance most welcome.

Just a question, but why are you using rubber valves with Michelin Camping tyres @ 85psi pressure? Most recommendations for those tyres/pressures would be for metal, clamp-in, high pressure valves. What make motorhome, and what make/year base vehicle, please?

Hi Brian, my motorhome at the time was an Autotrail 634 on a merc chassis that was fitted with standard Continental commercial tyres, I never ran at the high pressure that has been mentioned on here. My present AutoTrail is fitted with Continental camping tyres and has steel valves fitted. The Merc was an 03 registration and I presume the tyres and valves were standard fitments at the time. Previous to that I had a Hymer 550 on a Merc chassis that had standard continental tyres and valves fitted but that didn't suffer with cracked rubber valves.

rolandrat - 2011-09-06 4:07 PM

Hi Brian, my motorhome at the time was an Autotrail 634 on a merc chassis that was fitted with standard Continental commercial tyres, I never ran at the high pressure that has been mentioned on here. My present AutoTrail is fitted with Continental camping tyres and has steel valves fitted. The Merc was an 03 registration and I presume the tyres and valves were standard fitments at the time. Previous to that I had a Hymer 550 on a Merc chassis that had standard continental tyres and valves fitted but that didn't suffer with cracked rubber valves.

But, the OP says 85psi, which is 6.0bar, which exceeds, to the best of my knowledge (at least, it does according to Continental's Technical Databook), the maximum permissible pressure for high pressure snap-in valves. It is way above the safe operating pressure for normal rubber valves. From the same source, for 6.0 bar, only metal clamp-in valves should be used.

Our problem here is that we have no idea what van is involved, nor what size or rating (even age) of tyre is concerned, other than it is a "Michelin Camping" tyre. Note, just Camping, which suggests they tyres are several years old, and not Agilis Camping, which would at least limit their probable age.

So, oldish tyres, very high pressure, and apparently the wrong valves. On that basis, I'm not all that surprised the OP is having problems, and am a little concerned that the combination described may result in a very sudden deflation while driving. Hence my question, and request for more information.

Hi Brian,

thanks for your comments. I have an Autocruise Wentworth on a Peugeot 2.8 HDI Chassis, 2001 model.

Tyres supplied and fitted by ATS who have also replaced the valves on two occasions, third tyre damaged as failure occurred on the motorway.

Do you think ATS or ANO tyre fitter would replace valves with metal if that is the solution?

Further to my earlier response to your comments - I run Agilis on the front wheels @ 60psi. Current tyres and operating pressures as advised by Michelin Technical department. Tyres are 2006 vintage but must say first failures occurred when tyres 18 months or so old. I to trim the trims aand have done so since first failures to be on the safe side.

Any further assistance much appriciated including any advice on replacement trims.

Regards....Ron

• 2 weeks later...
Away at present, so must be brief. For the pressures you are using the valves are wrong. You should have metal clamp-in valves, which should be what was on the van when new. At the time the tyres were changed, it seems from what you say, ATS must have changed the valves. They should have fitted the same type as were originally fitted, but in fact, probably only needed to fit new cores. Best advice would be to visit a motorhome dealer, and look at the tyre valves fitted to new vans on Fiat/Peugeot chassis. I think you will find most are metal with no visible rubber present. Take a picture or two, then consult Michelin over the valves. I'm pretty sure your problem is with the valves, and is potentially dangerous. The dealer (probably!) won't know anything about valves, or about where to get them, but you should by then know what you want and what it looks like. Then, I suggest, back to ATS, and show them the pictures. They should know what is required for your pressures, it is their day job!

Brian Kirby - 2011-09-15 5:17 PM

...For the pressures you are using the valves are wrong. You should have metal clamp-in valves, which should be what was on the van when new...

I agree with Brian.

The maximum recommended inflation pressure for Michelin 'XC Camping' tyres is 5.5bar (near enough 80psi) and Michelin's technical handbook advises "USE METAL VALVES".

Using 80psi (or higher) with a standard 'car' valve is just asking for trouble. Unfortunately, a culture seems to have developed within the UK tyre-fitting trade where clamp-in valves (or high-pressure snap-in valves) are replaced with common-or-garden 'car' snap-in valves completely unsuitable for the high inflation pressures regularly used for motorhome tyres.

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for your help and comments. Firstly I made a mistake in quoting the rear tyre pressures, I do inflate to 80psi (5.5 bar) as recommended by Michelin. Unfortunately when talking to Michelin they did not mention high pressure valves (sic). Anyway have now located tyre fitter (Tyre Web) who had high pressure valves in stock and they are now fitted on front and rear tyres. Strangely Kwikfit supply and fit Camping tyres but do not stock HP valves, if you want them you have to supply them!!

So hopefully now sorted and valve failure just a bad dream.

Again very many thanks...............Ron

Archived