Low Profile or High Top?

Clementine

We are getting a Motorhome again, at last, we just have started to look. My husband who will do all the driving suddenly is in favour of getting a High Top (i.e. Devon Monte Carlo or Timberland or...). We will be making some longish trips, Norway and go home to Switzerland at least once a year.

I know I will be missing the space and the comfortable lounge of a low profile (we used to have a Rapido) but it will save a lot on diesel (he says!). Opinion please?

Can any awning be made into a Safari room or do you need a special awning to add the side and front bits?

How expensive and how complicated is it to install a Satellite Television?

Thank you for your help

Switching from a coachbuilt to a panel van conversion(PVC)gets discussed(..argued about!)on here quite regularly... (lol)

One thing that I have read on here though and that is the insulation on some PVCs is not as good as many coachbuilts..this may concern you if you plan on visiting the likes of Norway?...

(..although I can't actually recall even being that cold in our first van conversion..but that was only in the UK.)

I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon.... ;-)

Clementine - 2011-09-07 11:25 AM Can any awning be made into a Safari room or do you need a special awning to add the side and front bits?

If you are buying new buy the side bits at the same time, same manufacturer and model etc. My poor old awning will not take side panels so we turn the van round :-)

How expensive and how complicated is it to install a Satellite Television?

From C£40.00 (special offer at Lidl/Aldi, dish, freesat box 240V) DIY to well over £2000.00 if you want to watch telly on the move, Installed by an 'Expert' plus the cost of your T.V.

Hi Monika, and welcome.

We've survived quite comfortably in our Cavarno (short-wheelbase Transit) for up to 5 weeks. It does take a little organising (e.g. OH has first shower each morning, while I turn the bedroom back into a lounge), but we've had no problems. The small inconveniences are way offset by the fuel consumption (35mpg) and the ease of parking. We've never yet found an Aire, however crowded, that we couldn't fit our van into somehow!

Insulation is fine (as long as you use silver screens on cab), and the blown-air heating (diesel fired) is a dream. Take a look at

www.horizonsleisurevehicles.co.uk

(no connection, just very satisfied customer)

We used to have a coachbuilt when the kids travelled with us, and we may change to a low-pro if & when I start to find the bed business too much of a chore, but not for a while yet.

Whatever you choose, have a great time with it!

When we "downsized" from the previous Rapido A-class to our current 'van, the original target was a PVC, but ultimately I decided that it wouldn't work well for us, given the plethora of outdoor stuff we take away (and need storage for), and the requirement to still (though less regularly) cope with an additional family member.

As a result, the low profile and narrower "van" style coachbuilts came under close scrutiny, resulting ultimately in the purchase of a Hobby Van Exclusive L. (Other similar vehicles exist, we simply found this one best suited our requirements).

At 6.7 metres it has all the space we require for two people, lots of storage space (including a garage that I would have missed), permanent and very comfortable lengthways single beds, and is well insulated for our all-year round touring.

What is more, and very relevant to the original post, is that I have just returned from 2200 miles touring Germany and Denmark, and obtained over 600 miles per tankful, (over 34mpg) from the 140hp Transit. (neither thrashing nor driving for economy). This is similar to Tony's experience of a Transit PVC. I would suggest therefore, that mpg shouldn't necessarily inhibit your choice. There may, of course, be other reasons for looking at a PVC, and only you can decide what is best for yourself, but I'm very pleased with the direction we took.

Archived