Window security

hallii

From a post on here and from having spoken with a couple of victims whilst abroad it seems that the local low lifes have worked out a way to open the usual plastic windows silently from outside.

They then have a clear run to help themselves to whatever they can find.

The one victim was sure he had locked his windows but assumed that he must have forgot one, this I now doubt.

I will not mention how it is done but will say think about plastic packaging strapping.

My solution is to drill a small (3-4mm) hole in the latch "tongue" and right through the static part and insert a suitable split pin.

They can still break in but it will make a bit more noise!

H

Guest JudgeMental

There was a thread on here back in July, worth a look using search facility.

as most sleep with alarm set for exterior doors, anyone opening a window (and fishing your goods out with a rod!) will not set of alarm.

a simple and cheap solution is a set of window alarms as recommended by FrancisGraham I think it was...

http://www.milenco.com/products/sleep-safe-alarms/

Drill a hole thro. each latch lever and put 2 split rings in and then mount brass slide bar locks on the sill area and lock down each lever. Put alarms on each window as well if you want a belt/braces approach. By the way it took me 5 secs per catch to open mine with a custom made tool. Details for cambrioleurs by PM.

Checked our window catches today, they cant be opened with plastic strapping. There is a button that has to be held in whilst the catch is turned to open, also strapping cannot be pushed between window and frame due to the rubber seal. I tried with various objects just to make sure.

David

Checked our window catches today, they cant be opened with plastic strapping. There is a button that has to be held in whilst the catch is turned to open, also strapping cannot be pushed between window and frame due to the rubber seal. I tried with various objects just to make sure.

David

David

OK David, lots of us (me included) don't have a push button on the latches, so with a bit of silicon oil on the plastic srap you can slide it past the rubber easily. Then it is easy to open the latches,

Anybody want to split a pack of six Milenco window alarms? I need 3 so £20 a pack of six = £10 for 3 plus postage from me to you.

Geoff

I have 2 deterrents in my van ... Lily and Romy ... nothing would get past them!!!

Anyway, nothing of value is ever left out for people to 'hoik' out, we always put things away out of sight in cupboards which cannot be opened without pushing the locking button and you'd need to have very long arms to do that! *-)

Guest JudgeMental

We have a safe bolted through van floor for valuables. BUT still tend to leave clothes strewn around front lounge area when going to bed,( particularly after a session and if Mrs Mental wants to have her wicked way with moi:-|)

That would be enough for someone to think, Ah Ha! there may be a wallet, purse or handbag under there!.... *-)

Archived