Water on Aires

kelly58

We have just returned from another trip to France and using only Aires we have come across a new water valve on a couple of bournes (see photo's ) you have to connect using a double  adapter and because there is no tap  you have to make sure your hose is in the filler pipe before you connect otherwise you can get drenched as the water comes out at consideral force.

15623558_WaterNozzell.JPG.a82d8f99504b85d33cf59af71feca8fa.JPG

Adapter.JPG.ea0c8ff087296b89f97e719449f93f38.JPG

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks for that! I came across one of those adapters last week whilst clearing out garage for our house move.

Now where did I put it! *-)

Tony Jones - 2011-09-09 2:37 PM

Thanks for the tip Kelly. I pride myself on being equipped to take water from practically anything, so I'll pick one of these connectors up next time I see one!

Tony,

You can get a very nice Brass one form Screwfix for £1.99.

Or try any DIY or gardening store, they are a common size in metal or plastic across virtually all makes (Hozelock, Gardena, etc, etc).

Keith.

It is just a female Hozelock connector in steel. Have yet to connect without getting drenched. Spend all of a £1.00 today and bought a unit which has a ball valve and the male Hozelock connectors on each end. Of the 20 odd aires we were on this year this was only on one which was brand new so it looks like that is the way they are going with new Bornes.

From memory we saw at least 2, if not 3, of the new type of bournes. On the 2nd one a British chap didn't know what he needed and borrowed a connector from us.

We have also found that some of the new bournes do NOT allow you to empty your toilet waste 'free of charge' anymore, until you put some money in the cover to the waste point won't open ... surely this is just asking for trouble!!! 8-)

First water fill-up one we came upon like this was last year at Le Portel. We carry many different types of fittings but our one like shown for some reason would not work. Many French vanners were also having problems but one was filling with no problem and said fitting he was using, which looked just like ours, was from local Bricolage (opposite the Intremarche). He, of course let us use his, but we purchased our own and had no further problem. Can only think size of our original one was slightly different.

Re aires points that do not allow toilet emptying without payment then have come across these in the past in Germany and more recently on some French aires. The new aire point at Gravelines does allow toilet emptying, but does not provide water for rinsing without charge.

Both above seem part of a general trend in aires with more charging,together with more "new" technology, for example automatic barriers for entry/exit and use of bank cards for payments. These changes should allow the aires network to be consolidated and continue to grow which must be good for us all.

I think some of these Aires are in danger of pricing too highly.

We just spent several days at Leucate, where the Aire is charging 7.20€ per day, whereas for 9.80€ we stayed on the adjacent campsite, which gave us a large shady pitch with electricity, toilets, showers and some security, none of which were included on the Aire.

Certainly the Aire would be cheaper than the Camping in August, but the Camping seemed much better value in September.

Archived