Routing help using a Garmin

Zyroman

Hi folks, I am off to a place called St-Jean- d' Angely near Saintes in France next Wednesday to watch the Motocross des Nations. Unfortunately the guy that was supposed to be coming with me has now pulled out ( blames his wife) that now leaves me with a very expensive solo trip in a twin axle camper which attracts class 4 rate on the autoroutes. I did get some advice from Brian Kirby earlier in the year and a quick search on the site he suggested indicates that I would be looking at € 175 each way which is now beyond my budget. My question is, with a Garmin satnav using the very latest mapping and set to avoid tolls but use the quickest routes will it put me on autoroutes between toll points or will it just use non toll autoroutes and dual carriageway etc etc? My Eurotunnel gets me into France around 10 PM and the plan was, if I can face it after driving down from Burnley to try and drive into the night a ways before parking up somewhere ( all sites will of course be closed by this point) and then resume the journey in the morning. I do not need to be at the site until Thursday evening so ANY advice would be helpful. oh, on another point, I was under the impression I needed a Bulb kit for France but a look on the CC site last night indicated not? Just a vest and a warning triangle.

Thanks in anticipation

Hi, See my response to your other post re routeing. Garmin map source shows me that there are good n roads all the way andyou should be able to avoid all tolls with a bit of decent map reading.

toll stretches between boulogne and abbeville, and again south of rouen both easily avoided on parallel N roads.

suggested Calais,Abbeville,Rouen,Evreux Dreux,Chartres,Tours,Poitiers,St Jean.

safe driving

Guest JudgeMental

This is plain daft..now 2 threads on same subject.

Have you Autoroute mapping? As if you have when I put in your destination via tolls it comes out at:

Miles: 453 Time:6.40

Then "Non tolls" the mileage is a little less but driving time approx 2 hours more. also the route is very similar to the toll route.

Miles: 432 Time: 8.57

Now this is where the fun starts! using Garmin Mapsource on my PC. On toll route similar in mileage and time..BUT once I set to avoid tolls route it is all around the houses!

Miles:516 Time: 9.17

That is why on other thread I advised you to plan your own route and put it in your Garmin...

Route: (Tony's OK as well)

I would pay the small toll on A16 (only toll) then A28 to Rouen

Then leave A28 and join A13 until A154/N12 south to Le Mans - Saumur - Niort - destination

This is the Autoroute non toll route? Just spend some time and enter this in your Garmin (carefully) and then you can relax on ...Have a good trip!.

Flippin eck JM, I didn't start the other thread ;) unfortunately I do not have map source so cannot plan and upload to my Garmin but the routing advice given is very helpful and I will use that for the trip. Roland, is it permited to over night at Cite Europe? I am guessing the French would never put up with those sneaky Cameras we have on our services and some supermarkets. I am coming back on the Tuesday so should miss the traffic and I will have a look at the roadworks on the M25. Many thanks to ALL !

Guest JudgeMental

Even without Mapsource, you can make your own route on the GPS device?? what Garmin have you?

OR use something like Mappy,com

http://en.mappy.com/

and write route on that stage by stage. then copy route to Garmin. Garmin Nuvi series work like this:

front page then - tools - custom routes - New - add new start point.= Then just piece your route together?

Archived