From petrol to LPG???

lezzlesvirr

HI Guys

We will be picking our RV up in a few weeks time and in order to try to minimise our outgoings we have been told that if we convert from petrol to LPG this will save us pounds, not initially as it is about 2.5K to convert I understand. Has anyone got any advice as to: should we do convert, is it cost effective, is it worth it, will it alter the performance of the engine (I am a female asking these questions understand :-D), can anyone give me the negatives and positives in terms of converting our RV. We will be full timing when we eventually get going. I do so hope the weather this winter won't be anywhere near as bad as last year. :'(

Many thanks guys for your input into our dilemma... of which there will be many many more I'm sure.

Lesley

Guest JudgeMental

There are not many with RV's on this forum...You might have more luck posting on Mororhome facts and mororhome fun? there is a RV forum I believe but I dont know the name...

Many with RV's have a gas conversion, it makes sense.....But I would shop around as your quote seems a bit expensive.

a friend of ours buys and sells r.vs,he always converts to gas as mpg on petrol 14mpg,on gas because of the price per ltr.about 26mpg. youre quote (i am told)is expensive.cannot contact my friend at the moment as he is in spain again.but will ask when he returns(thursday) about cost and repost his input.

Hi,

Performance on modern engine is same for LPG as Petrol, however fuel consumption is between 10% to 15% worse on LPG this is more than made up by the lower cost per litre (just filled op at Morrisons 63.9p per litre!!!!

It realy is a lifetime cost issue ---- cost of conversion and lower cost of fuel V the conversion cost in terms of how many litres of fuel it would buy? and how many miles per year you cover and how many years you will keep the RV ie £2500 will buy say 1800 litres of fuel or at "normal" prices LPG is approx 65p litre less than petrol so it will take 3846 litres to pay back the conversion cost

If you work the above with your average fuel consumption plus 15% you will see if its worth it

However I will say that the initial cost is soon forgotten and filling up at 69.9p litre is realy great and the look on other (petrol/derv) drivers faces when you fill up is a joy

Regards Ray

PS just finished 2nd bottle so hope the above makes sense

R,

Litre for Litre LPG contains about a third less energy than petrol, this is partly made up for by the fact that an LPG engine is more efficient than a petrol one. but it does make a difference to the power of your engine, however because of the engines size I doubt you will notice any difference, I never have.

Differences in MPG differ greatly, some claim only 5% others say 25%, ours is around 20% worse than petrol, but we have an older conversion, the more modern multipoint injection will be better.

I personally think that the payback mileage is around 20,000-25,000 miles, so you need to consider how long you expect it to keep it. Some say it increases the resale value, which is possible, but for me not having a conversion wouldn't be a deal breaker as ours didn't when we bought it.

Couple of tips, get at least 200litres of tank capacity, to give you a decent range, and get fillers both sides, Autogas pumps are not sited with large vehicles in mind, sometimes you can only access one side of the pump. And sometimes the canopy is too low, so you can't get in at all 8o|

Recommend the rvoc.co.uk and also the arvclub.co.uk and if your looking for sites that take RV's then moandicks big pitch guide is very good. http://www.the-big-pitch-guide.com/

Ian

Archived