Wild Camping and Criminality?

lezzlesvirr

Hi again folks

In order to try to keep finances down as much as poss, my partner wants to spend half of the time wild camping and the other half on sites with hook ups etc. We intend to go full timing within the next few weeks.. however, given I currently work in the criminal justice system, I was wondering if anyone has had any negative experiences when wild camping in terms of criminality. I have heard of one or two couples who have had people try to get into their motorhomes whilst they have been asleep!!!!!!!! Because I work in the criminal justice system, has that made me paranoid d'ya think (?)

Many thanks, much appreciated you lovely people

It possibly has!

As one who takes life completely casually its all a matter of assessing the surroundings you're in and proceeding accordingly.

Parking beside a busy road is an obvious attraction to any would be mischief maker, where as parking where you cannot be seen is an advantage. Friday and Saturday nights after the pubs close is maybe a good time to choose a site.

Its a matter of personal choice and what part of the country (any country) you're in. You should know that thieves are looking for petty gains. There are many ways of deterring a would be robber, make sure your Motorhome looks as if its internally guarded.

If you park on private land maybe the owner is annoyed and rattles your door to discourage you. A nice smart polished vehicle is more likely to be a target than an untidy one. Do you have a satellite TV? And what other goodies do you have?

Do you carry a spade? Well you should for burying the unmentionables, and do you have a dog? Even more important to carry a spade.

You suggest full timing, that implies you carry all your worldly goods with you, leave 80% in store somewhere, you will feel more secure.

The percentage of unlawful entries are minimal, it could happen to anyone, today!

art

There are plenty of second hand accounts of criminality on the various forums and a very few first hand accounts. It's almost impossible to get a feel of the actual risk you are running. I do know that the figures show attacks on lorry drivers parking overnight are increasing but you are not a lorry. Perhaps car crime is a better indicator.

There is also the issue of old wives tales. For example, Liverpool has a terrible reputation for crime and the figures tend to prove it has a crime problem. However, figures for Wirral which is part of Merseyside show crime is lower in every category except car crime compared to the average figures across the country. On car crime, the Wirral is average. We park our office cars overnight in Birkenhead without any incidents. I doubt visitors to Birkenhead would feel safe doing that!

I would think the feel of safety should be your driver. Visible deterrents are excellent; for example a large dog collar and lead left on the passenger seat would have people wondering whether there is a big dog inside. An alarm, covering lockers, and which can be set to perimeter only should give you warning of anyone trying to enter your van when you are in it. As you probably know, alarms are not worth much when your vehicle is empty because passers by often ignore them. In the wild, nobody would hear them. An internal safe for money and other valuable documents would seem a good idea. Or take copies of documents and leave originals with family or friends.

Motorhoming should be relaxing. If it's not, why do it. I don't wild camp because I am more worried about the risk of being done over than the reality of it happening. However, if I wild camped for a lengthy period without incident, I would probably worry less.

Sorry, I doubt there is an answer other than to look at yourselves and ask how you can balance the risk with the enjoyment and your financial means.

Guest JudgeMental

If you can park out of the way chances of nothing happening better? Can you do this for weeks or months on end,....who knows! Security on a site has to be a lot better.

have you sorted out your vehicles security?

art338 - 2011-09-10 12:37 AM

Do you carry a spade? Well you should for burying the unmentionables, and do you have a dog? Even more important to carry a spade.

I'm sorry, I think burying the dog is going just that little bit toooooooo far!!!!! 8-) ;-) (lol)

Seriously though, why not look into staying on CLs/CSs instead of 'proper' sites, they will often do a reduced weekly rate (28 days is the maximum you can stay without moving your wheels, but all you have to do is go somewhere else for one night, then you can go back and do another 28 days if you want) - we've spoken to a few motorhome full-times and long-term-timers (6 months) who do this to keep costs down and have nice quiet places to stop without worry. You may then find that your need to go 'wild' camping is much reduced. :-D

Hi,

Not sure if you intend to full time only in the UK – probably not once you realise it’s much warmer on the southern Continent in winter!

We have wild camped on several occasions in Scotland, remoter parts of England and in west and mid Wales with no problems. We regularly and frequently use aires in France and their equivalent in Italy and Germany.

People employ all sorts of methods to enhance their security/make themselves feel more secure, e.g. a chain across the cab doors at night, internal bolts on doors, beware of the dog stickers etc. Don’t forget that you have to be able to exit the vehicle quickly in an emergency.

It probably worth you googling ‘full timing’. This site is one that comes to mind but there must be others http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/408/27/

Whatever you decide I wish you well.

Cattwg :-D

pick your places to park up care fully avoid near pubs rough looking estates etc, avoid laybys on main roads go down a quiet county rd. place a large dog bowl of water and dog chain tied to step or door outside even if you do not have a dog a passing groups of opportunist thieves/ yobs will see the bowl and it may deter them.

Do you know, you guys are just amazing. Given I am a baby at this motorhoming business, I am truly grateful for all your responses hints and tips, all of which I shall seriously look into and put into practice.

Much appreciated. I can't wait for the next few weeks to pass and then we shall be on the road, yippeeeee.

Guest JudgeMental
lezzlesvirr - 2011-09-10 7:59 PM

Do you know, you guys are just amazing. Given I am a baby at this motorhoming business, I am truly grateful for all your responses hints and tips, all of which I shall seriously look into and put into practice.

Much appreciated. I can't wait for the next few weeks to pass and then we shall be on the road, yippeeeee.

what sort of camper have you?

in my opinion avoiding pubs is not necessary. most pubs/restaraunts offer free overnighting, especially if yo say you will have a drink or a meal. they will often provide a toilet where you can fill/empty/ablute, and of course you will have neighbours for security. if it is a rough pub (and you dont notice) then you are in no more danger than the flat or house rnext door or round the corner!

yes motorhomes do get broken into, so do cars, houses and anything else a thief comes across. dont worry, be careful and enjoy.

Hi, You could always decorate your van in "traveller style", and pretend to be one of them, It will almost certainly ensure that the strong arm of the law will be watching you closely to ensure you dont breach it, and that may be a sufficient protection to keep genuine baddies at a suitable distance.

:-)

tonyg3nwl

Talking about a good van painter... my partner is a painter and decorator, he has just gone through our house from top to bottom. we put it on the market and the first person thro the door bought it... so, we should have no problems painting our new second hand motorhome in traveller colours, that should keep the buggers away, eh! ;-)

Best wishes

Lesley and Alan

Hi Lesley & Alan,

let's get back to your original post and its title. There are those who might think that it is the act of 'wildcamping' (freecamping/freeloading - take your pick!) that is criminal, it is certainly contrary to by-laws and the law of tresspass in England, Wales and the island of Ireland. Scottish law (as in many matters) is different. There are two interesting comments on this issue in the current edition of 'Practical Motorhome' -- one in reply to a misguided letter-writer who accused the Irish people of being 'motorhome - unfriendly' when he tried to 'wildcamp there.

I totally agree with Mel that the CS/CL route is a much better option, but I see from another thread that your preferred 'van is a mighty great american R.V. -- unlikely to be able to traverse the little farm roads /country lanes where these quiet 'hide-outs are to be found -- surely the sensitivity of local residents and local councils to suspected traveller-style vehicles fetching up on farmland/woodland/car parks/lay-bys, etc. is going to result in a pretty swift visit from the 'old Bill' and a 'Move On' request/directive pretty sharpish? The type of use that the 'full-timers' put these enormous 'buses' to in Europe (e.g. Spain/Portugal) is not really suitable in the U.K. IMHO.

Sorry to be so negative, but I thought that some contra-indications ought to be aired! In answer to the original difference of opinion between the two of you, in this country it surely has to be sites - most of the time. My little (5.25 M in length) self-contained PCV can tuck itself into the corner of a idyllic rural car park (no height barrier!) in Suffolk or the free (donations accepted) 'crofters campsite' at Shieldaig in the wilds of North-West Scotland, both of which we have done recently, but your massive 'horse-box' is a very different Matter!

Don't let me put you off however,

Happy motorhoming -- hope it lives up to your dreams.

Cheers,

Colin.

• 3 weeks later...
Symbol Owner - 2011-09-27 3:56 PM

Correction! -- just returned to the idyllic Suffolk car park/field, to find that the Local Authority has re-instated the height barrier(!) the B*****ds!

Ah well, one less place to enjoy a quiet night on our own -- did some local 'Neighbourhood Watch' busybody snitch on us last time I wonder?

Colin.

I suppose in view of the amount of coverage "Travellers" are getting at the moment,it's hardly suprising really...

(..see!..you were told not to leave that old sofa and mattress there, last time you visited..!?... (lol) )

Travelling home from Scotland one October evening (around 10pm) we decided to rest overnight in a layby, outside Crook Co. Durham, that was shielded from the road by some tall bushes and was about 100 yards from a row of cottages. After about half an hour we had settled down when four cars loaded with drunken youths and girls turned up and proceeded to drive up to the front and rear of the motorhome in an intimidating fashion. I let my German Shepherd dog stick her head out of the window and bark which convinced them to leave. Thirty minutes later they were back and eggs were thrown at the front door and window by a staggering youth who retreated to a safe distance when my immobiliser (Sheba) showed herself again. At that point I decided to go somewhere safer and left to a chorus of catcalls and jeers from the great un-washed. Upon consideration, later, I took the view that it was un-wise to pay out a great wad of cash for a vehicle and then risk wild camping to save a few shillings. I have stopped on aires, stellplatze and even on a farm with the farmers permission, but wild camping is not for me. we now use the c/ls, c/ss and sites for peace of mind. :-S B-)

Un fortunately l;ike many things in our world it is the actions of a small minded minority that screw it uip for the majority. In Scotland a blind eye was taken for many yearsto wild camping of all sorts, however it has now become common for these so called acampers to leave areas of beauty in a mess. Tenters now buy the cheap throw up tents and just leave them to be collected by someone else. Bags of rubbish, that is when it is put in a bg, are dumped, so the land owners whether it be NTS or the Local Authority or a private owner are starting to get more inflexible. Even the Outer Isles where free camping on secluded beaches has been popular for years, are now starting to clamp down on it. Yes, they want tourist but they also do not wish to have the attraction for tourists destroyed.

I offer the attached article that appeared a year or so ago, however I accept a lot of it is 'tongue in cheek' But the basic premise that a remote wonderland one year will be a crowded tourist spot the next, maybe holds true.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/comment/Road-to-the-isles-is.5516373.jp

We all ,need to remember that virutally all land in the UK is owned by someone, even if it is so remote that there is nobody around., so really you should obtain permission from the owner before parking up. You may feel that is impractical in certain places but then again you are taking the chance. Some have mentioned the safety aspects and again unfortunately our brave new world has made that far more relevant than it should be. Possibly after spending umpteen thousands on a MH a few pounds for a site or CL is not too much to pay???

Archived