Looking for a hightop - Advice needed

Mort77uk

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and would like some advice please. I am looking to buy a secondhand 'hightop' motorhome with automatic transmission- budget of 14k max. From what I have looked at so far, my ideal van would be a post-1999 Autosleeper Rambler - a nice small van but big enough to have a proper built-in toilet. They don't have a shower or heating but I'm not particularly bothered about that. However I've not seen one with auto transmission - do they exist? Are there any other similar small-ish vans that come with auto transmission? Also, is my budget of 14k realistic for a recent-ish low mileage van in good condition? I assume I wouldn't be buying from a dealer for that sort of money! By the way, I've ruled out the Mazda Bongo. Thanks in advance ;-)

Hi Mort, I quite like the Auto Sleeper Duetto, Ford transit automatic rear wheel drive nice layout, small but nice little bathroom, shower and cassette loo etc, along the rear near side, with a neat kitchen along the rear off side. The only thing I have against it is low entry doors ( head banging) as it is an added on high top and not built as a hightop. I would have one tomorrow but the wife, who is the boss, says it is too narrow, so may feel claustrophobic living in it on rainy day. But I think it is just right "go every where size". Something to think about. Best of luck! See you in a field some where some day, a layout you can live with is number one when choosing, what you buy is what you are stuck with, you can't change the layout.....cheers, David Powell. (Ranger)

I agree with Ranger , Duetto is a nice van.Owned one since 2001 and quite happy with it.High top panel van with full height doors at the back. One reservation , oven next to useless but ways around that. Don't know if your budget would stretch to the latest transit! A panel van can go anywhere white van man can.

Thanks for the replies. I've spotted a couple of Duettos on Ebay which I will keep an eye on. We had a look around a couple of dealers at the weekend - the Duetto is about the right size - but I can't believe the prices - £19k for a van over 10 years old with high miles- ouch!!

Do be careful with the E-Bay ones. A forum user recently advertised her motorhome in MMM and found it also advertised on EBay using the same photos and description. You may find you have to send the purchase price to Nigeria!

For European-built panel van conversions, I believe automatic gearboxes would only have been available on vehicles based on Ford, Mercedes or VW chassis - so you'll need to forget Auto-Sleepers Harmony, Rambler or Symbol models. Ford-wise, the A-S Duetto would have been produced in the greatest numbers, but the design commands a high second-hand asking price and, because of its desirability and rarity, an auto-box tends to inflate this still further. Based on MMM's high-top second-hand price guide (Feb 2006 issue), for £14K you are probably looking at 1994-1995 Duettos at the latest. Alternative A-S Fords were the (smaller) Flair and Omega. Devon Conversions also built on the Transit van and, if you are lucky enough to track down an auto variant, the price is likely to be lower than that of an equivalent A-S. La Strada and Murvi both built (and build) on Mercedes chassis, but I think prices will be well beyond your budget. The VW T4 was used as a base by (amongst others) Autohomes, Auto-Sleepers, Bilbo's, EMC, Holdsworth and Leisuredrive. (Also by Westfalia in LHD.) No idea how many had an autobox though. Realistically, your £14k budget is unlikely to buy you a recent-ish low mileage 'van in good condition that's been built by a 'Top Name'. However you might be able to find what you want if you look for a vehicle that has been manufactured by a small converter or has been competently home-built. Don't forget too that a smallish panel-van conversion's convenient size allows it to be used by owners as a sole vehicle and in such cases there will be a consequential increase in the annual mileage covered.

Archived