Ducato wipers/motor

Wallynnette

Ducato wipers/motor  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just returned from a fantastic tour of Devon/Cornwall and Scilly Isles, on the odd day we needed to use the wipers and as usual no probs. The day we came home we hit bits of light rain and drizzle and the wipers were hesitant in moving, they would move about 1" then 20 secs or so after they would sweep. When they did get going they'd be ok for half a dozen sweeps then they would be jerky, we stopped at Bristol services as we couldn't carry on whilst it was drizzleing, called the breakdown people, he had a look but couldn't get them to work at all, so we carried on to our last site (no rain). Had a look on a Fiat forum and it looks like it could be a (another) known problem. Wipers now do not work (fuse ok), does anyone know if this IS a known problem, was, or is it a recall. Its a 2007 so no doubt it will be a 2006 in real terms. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to know if the powers that be would do it or will it be something that I have to do myself, we can't use it until its sorted, thanks. :'(

Hello,

When the wiper motors fail on x250 they can do it in a number of ways; Either all but one speed will stop working or they will become erratic as described above. We have replaced wiper mechanisms on 3 vehicles; all were 2007 and had covered over 100,000 miles at the time. I do not believe that water ingress had anything to do with it, and the motor bodies are water-proof anyway.

After looking at the parts disc it was noticed that for a lot less than buying the whole mechanism with motor you could buy a motor on its own. (The motor unit contains all of the control gear to interpret what the driver has asked it to do using the stalk).

The motor arrived but instead of 3 threaded holes for the mounting screws to fit into, I found three non threaded holes which were too large a diameter to thread at all! The holes were clearance size for the screws! The motor was sent back and another ordered which was exactly the same. We ordered a complete mechanism and another for stock. It is not an easy job to replace the mechanism and took us a couple of hours the first time.

There have been no failures on later vehicles nor have any that we replaced been any trouble since.

Nick

Phoned Fiat up this morning and told them the problem, once I gave them the reg and vin numbers they said it had already been done not long before we got it. When I was looking at it there didn't appear to be a cover on it, just a patch of rubbery/spongey material slapped up on the body work above it, this surely can't be it, if it is, its a lousy unprofessional job. As far as the water ingress into the engine bay its plainly obvious as the scuttle is in two halves and not sealed in the centre join, and any water not directed down the side drains simply falls straight into the engine bay. I'm looking for a piece of 'H' section rubber so both sides can slot into, bit of sealant and that should sort it.

Archived