What is the likelihood of me being charged class four on the Autoroute?

Zyroman

Off to France next week in the Van for the first time, 5000kg three axle. Seems to be mixed messages as to what I might have to pay. Some say the booths have height sensors on that know if you are over three meters high which we are (3.2 with the Camos), some say they have something that measures the number of axles. I KNOW we are class four I just want to know how likely it is that we will be charged that every time, am I better going to manned booths ( if they have any?) or auto? I have another post up about using a Garmin to route me to avoid tolls as I am " financially embarrassed " becaue the guy I was supposed to go with has pulled out but I have not had a response to that post.

Guest JudgeMental

If you just set Garmin to "no tolls" it is a bit of a blunt instrument and not the best way to plan a trip!

You need to do more homework, if you have auto route or some of the on line mapping sites, they show toll and non toll motorways. Sometimes it is worth paying for certain sections to avoid long boring detours especially with a van your size......

Some will look at at your camper and wonder what you are worried about (me included) Over 3 metres and you are class 3 and with 3 axles class 4.......I doubt what booth you go to will make a shred of difference. You are class 4 If you get the odd result think yourself lucky.

Say where you are heading and where from, and I am sure someone will come up with a decent low cost route.

Hi, My suggestion for route could be Calais,Abbeville,Rouen,Evreux, Dreux, Chartres,Tours,Poitiers,St Jean dAngely.

All available via N roads so get the Michelin maps and do a bit of testing the navigator.

If you have garmin map source, you can plot it there and adjust to avoid tolls, (short stretch south of rouen.

safe driving

tonyg3nwl

If you are going through Rouen just keep your wits about you if you have never been down that route before because the road numbers change from the A28/E402 to N138 to A13/E05 and so on and you might wonder if you have gone wrong. Try to stay in the correct lanes as well or you could end up in the centre of Rouen, great city if you have time to do some sight seeing.

We went on a toll road by mistake last week, ignored the Tomtom 'toll free' route.

Our MH is 2.9m but our wifi antenna brings it up to over 3m. The automatic reader charged us Class 2.

Luckily it was only 90c and we bypassed most of Tours.

That was going northbound. The last time, going southbound, the toll free option took us on the Autoroute, which is why I ignored Tomtom's advice. It even appeared to have the 'peage' notice under 'Chartres' blanked out!!

Archived