A friend has asked for advice

LordThornber

Well this should be fun.

Friends of ours have asked if they can take a look in our van, have a chat with them about motorhoming and the best of the lot, who is the best dealer to buy a van from?

We've invited them round but I suspect it's going to take qute a while and more than one natter to cover that lot 8-)

The list is endless isn't it? I've been mulling things over and I'm conscious of not wanting to over or under egg the pudding.

Martyn

Guest JudgeMental

It is as simple as you want to make it..decide on layout, do some foot sloging (be prepared to travel) See a selection of private vans then when you think you have the one, get it damp checked and a mechaniucal inspection. if owner does not want it inspected walk away!

Winter is coming...many with vans that have not sold will be dreading the wait until next spring. An Ideal time me thinks.....

some one on here is giving up motorhoming and has a 2006 van for sale?

Hello Martyn,

I probably shouldn't say this on this (Warners) forum, but this month's edition of 'Practical motorhome' has "Owner Satisfaction Awards" listing dealers, in two categories, new 'van sales and 'pre-owned' 'vans, based on polls carried out by the magazine over the past year. They also show how various dealers have improved or dropped in ratings over polls taken in former years.

this may possibly help your friend -- my local dealer -- for whom I have nothing but praise -- doesn't get a top award, as it happens -- only a silver-- so the whole thing is likely to be pretty subjective, IMO.

Eddie has got to be joking -- surely no rookie would go anywhere near a private sale -- you 'experts' may well believe that dealers are not to be trusted -- based on long experience no doubt- but most of us have to trust that we will learn something useful from the purveyors of these lustworthy machines, be they new or used. We certainly found that to be so with Webbs of Warminster, coupled with a visit to our local motorhome show (at Shepton Mallet) whilst we were still complete novices. We had, however hired a 'van (in New Zealand) and toured with it for five weeks, so had a pretty good idea of what might suit us.

All of these routes toward motorhome nirvana could be safely recommended to your friends I feel.

Happy motorhoming'

Cheers,

Colin.

P.S. Your friends have a 'head start' with your A/S 'van to' crawl over' (!)

Guest JudgeMental

So you mistrust fellow owners selling a van on BUT trust dealers...Ha ha ha

No not joking, most motorhome salesman I have come across in the UK have lamentable knowledge of what they ar selling.....They could be selling you a fridge or a car anything..... It might be different in other parts of the country but in the SW :-S Any major shows we visited, I knew more about the vans we were interested in then them....

As long as you do your home work, and have profession advice regards areas of major concerns, like damp and the mechanical side of vehicle, HPI etc...why pay a dealer premium?

Do fellow decent motorhome owners a favour and yourself one at the same time IMO *-)

One assumes you know your friends quite well and so have a good idea of their likes and dislikes. You also know what hobbies and holidays they have taken and whether that would marry with aa MH, or not. Possibly part of their questioning is due to their watching you with your MH and are attracted to what you are doing. Many of us have slightly envious thoughts about what others are doing, but may not necessarily actually do it ourselves. It is the thought that counts, at least for a moment or two.

By all means chat away, and show them your MH, if they have not already seen it. But if they have never done any camping type of vacation before I would suggest you suggest they hire a van for a week just to get an idea of what is involved. They then get all the gear supplied and if they like it, then they can go to the next step of possibly getting their own. I am sure the last thing you would wish to do is ‘recommend’ something that will cost a lot of money and ends up in tears. Bang goes a good friendship as they say.

You and I will have to agree to differ on this one Judge -- I have no knowledge of e-bay and find enough difficulty using Amazon!

It is not that I distrust fellow motorhome owners -- it is just that for a complete motorhome virgin, as I was until recently, without acess to any professional advice (I thought that a good dealer was a professional - particularly if he is a registered service outlet?)the use of private sales just seems to me to be too full of pitfalls and without enough safeguards. I was a CAB advisor/paid advice worker for twenty years and, when faced with any consumer problem the 1st. question was always: "Was it a private sale,or through a dealer?" If private, then" Buyer beware! you have no legal rights under the Consumer Rights Act(s)."

I have not been an advisor for two years (too busy motorhoming (!) but I don't believe that users of e-bay have the same consumer protection as on-line sales with companies, e,g, Amazon (?)

In any case, which private seller have you met who would give you a one-year warranty on an 8-year-old 'van, and subsequently honour it, as mine did? He also MOT'd it, did a full habitation service, tidied up some external rusting (which has not returned in the20 months that I've had the 'van), repaired

damage to one of the captain's chairs (caused by a customer) and knocked £750 off the listed price as I had no trade-in!

It's a no-brainer for me! When I entered this field on a whim I had absolutely no knowledge. Now that I am catching up fast -- thanks to forum members like you Eddie --I will be a lot more likely to explore the private sale route -- but with extreme caution because of the lack of legal protection.

I hope that explains my position.

I mistrust dealers too -- but at least at the last resort I can sue them -- with some prospect of redress.

Cheers,

Colin.

A bit of meat on the bones 8-)

They're good friends, good enough for us to say plonk the van onsite for them for a couple of days to let them play, insurance willing of course.

They're not campers - a deffo negative I think.

2 children 16 & 14, odd ages I think for this caper, one might want to latch on, one not - a personal view.

They're adventurous in their hols, a wet week in the UK or a week in Greece suits them.

They'd have parking issues.

They'd have time to use the van, no weekend work.

It would be a 3rd vehicle, gulp says me.

That'll do for now 8-)

Martyn

LordThornber - 2011-09-12 9:34 AM

who is the best dealer to buy a van from? Martyn

I had a similar question from friends a couple of years ago. My advice was:

Decide on a budget.

Make a list of ‘must haves’ and a list of ‘like to haves’.

Visit a couple of motorhome shows.

Visit any local dealers.

Test drive PVC and coachbuilt ‘vans.

Make sure it will fit on the drive.

Be aware of the large size of some caochbuilt ‘vans.

Ask to see how the bed is made up whist you are both inside the ‘van.

Sit on the loo - is it actualy useable?

Buy a couple of editions of MMM (they borrowed mine)

Buy from a dealer – the only reason being that if there are problems then at least you have a guarantee.

Buy as close to home as your final choice allows.

The only dealer I was able to recommend, from personal experience was West Country Motorhomes. Other dealers we have dealt with were OK but not good enough to actually recommend.

Cattwg :-D

Guest JudgeMental

I would forget about a panel van if 4 travelling ..It will drive you all nuts (I have some experience with this :-S)

Buy as small a van that will sleep four at a push. This will allow you to use Aires etc..and when you arrive somewhere kids can sleep in a tent. Plus be easier to park and drive. in a year or 2 they will be doing there own thing anyway and you could be stuck with a bigger van then you need or want (this is what happened to us)

Same caveats apply whether buying privately or from a dealer, and that is to be careful? foolish to put trust in an absolute stranger. I would still get independent checks anyway...

Archived