Wanted a decent motorhome tool kit

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

I'm on the look out for a decent small toolkit for the camper, one that doesn't take up a lot of space, and has proper tools;-)......not ones that bend or break, when you use them for the first time in anger*-)

Any suggestions?:D

I take a selection of tools from my garage and put them in a plastic box. Just a basic kit for electrics and mechanicals plus spare fuses, bulbs, meter etc. After all I'm hardly going to do an engine re-build on my travels.

Car boot sales are a good source of decent secondhand tools as long as you avoid the cheap and nasty!

Cheap tools are a waste of space as whilst they are fine for light work if you do need to do anything fiddly or with difficult access good tools help.

I work on the basis that it is better to have a basic set of tools and never need them than to have none and need them a long way from home.

My van tool kit began life in the late 60's when vans were far from reliable and it sort of evolved over 30 or so years according to the needs and whims of various Bedford CAs CFs and early Talbots!

In those days the habitation kit was so simple it rarely gave trouble and if it did it was usually easy to fix whereas the mechanicals could be very temperamental at times.

The situation seems to have reversed itself these days and I have far more faith in the van engine and mechanicals than I do in the complex gubbins of the habitation side but it has taken a long time to build enough faith to start leaving some of the tools at home - even though many have not seen the light of day for years now! Touch wood!

We carry four tool sets! One good quality set of 3/8 drive 8mm to 21mm sockets and various adaptors, one small cheap set of 1/4 drive sockets 4mm to 14mm, one roll of quality ring/oe spanners 5mm to 21mm, and one compact box of various pliers, cutters, screwdrivers, adjustables, grippers allen keys, torx adapters, and various odds and ends. I also have a 12v electric drill with drill and driver bits (the drill is old and was once a rechargeable but the batteries and charger failed long ago so I fitted a long lead with a 12v cigar lighter plug and it works fine!)

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2011-09-13 9:06 AM  We carry four tool sets! One good quality set of 3/8 drive 8mm to 21mm sockets and various adaptors, one small cheap set of 1/4 drive sockets 4mm to 14mm, one roll of quality ring/oe spanners 5mm to 21mm, and one compact box of various pliers, cutters, screwdrivers, adjustables, grippers allen keys, torx adapters, and various odds and ends. I also have a 12v electric drill with drill and driver bits (the drill is old and was once a rechargeable but the batteries and charger failed long ago so I fitted a long lead with a 12v cigar lighter plug and it works fine!)
Blimey Rich 4 sets8-).............. I'm already overweight, with that lot I'd have to leave Sue at home(lol)

peter - 2011-09-12 9:19 PM

I take a selection of tools from my garage and put them in a plastic box. Just a basic kit for electrics and mechanicals plus spare fuses, bulbs, meter etc. After all I'm hardly going to do an engine re-build on my travels.

I have a similar set of tools for all those minor irritations that can occur but I would also advise that you carry a torque wrench with correct socket and extensions for if you have a wheel changed for any reason. The wheel has to be re-torqued after about 50 miles and checked again after about 100 miles to prevent the wheel nuts/studs from working loose. :-D B-)

Guest pelmetman
bigal - 2011-09-13 10:22 AM  The wheel has to be re-torqued after about 50 miles and checked again after about 100 miles to prevent the wheel nuts/studs from working loose. :-D B-)

Don't remind me about Wheel nuts Bigal:-(.............I still have nightmares from last Christmas*-)

Now you've set off my compulsive disorder, I'll have to check them again this afternoon:$

I am with Jeremy on this one - I do pay for full recovery so will not be getting involved in roadside repairs.

On our old Hymer we had a 1 ton payload so I just lifted my metric toolbox before we left. Used it to good effect when a throttle linkage broke and when we had a choked fuel filter. (not on the same trip!)

Now its just enough to change a tap washer or hold a bit of loose trim in place until we get home.

Sorry, 3 toolkits and a torque wrench are not holiday kit for me since I stopped going under to fix bits. Call in at any tyre depot and ask for a check on wheel nuts if you are worried.

The whole lot only ads up to about 6 kilos - 8 if I include the torque wrench - and stows in various places that would otherwise contain nowt - so I see no need to do anything different!

Ever tried asking a Spanish tyre fitter to check your nuts - that's assuming you can find a tyre depot in Spain - or any other place in mainland Europe?

Each to his own, but I would rather spend an hour or two fixing things that I can fix than days finding an English speaking Mr Fixit who can firstly understand the problem and secondly fix it within a sensible time scale at a sensible cost!

I'm with Peter here.

A basis kit of srewdrivers pliers couple of spanners tape fuses etc should be enough. A multimeter is always useful.

and if you need a thingy-m-jig, you can always find a shop .

the tool kit should develop over the years that you use your van

When I downsized my van this spring, I went through the tool box and downsized that as well. Instead of a canlilever jobby, now use my old Post-Office tool wallet.

All the best

HWO

Ok then guys, what is the most useful tool you have taken/used while away, and what is the most unusual sounding item in your tool box?

I suppose my most used are no surprise being a 10mm spanner, 13mm spanner, and pozi screwdriver. An odd item is a wooden golf T which has been used to plug the end of a brake pipe while changing a wheel cylinder which had siezed.

I always have a cocktail stick in the glove box which is for resetting the sat nav should it lock up.

A multimeter is an absolute must have as checking voltages and continuity can save hours!

Emery boards are good for cleaning inside dirty fuse holders!

A small plastic suction grip vice is a handy third hand when fixing fiddly bits or glueing - super glue and araldite are both usually in stock!

Pipe cleaners have a multitude of uses - including temporary fastings - as does copper wire!

Most used tools - probably thin nosed pliers and mole grips and 0,1 & 2 pozidrive screwdrivers!

Torx bits can also be very handy!

Big Momma - 2011-09-14 1:22 PM

Tracker - 2011-09-13 8:58 PM

Ever tried asking a Spanish tyre fitter to check your nuts -

Didn't know that you were that way inclined Rich :D

I am only inclined when parked on a hill Eric!

Archived