The £2000 door handle!!!

Airstream

Hi all,

Part two of the broken door handle saga

Interior door operating handle on my Ace Airstream failed a few weeks ago

The aly casting snapped at the lever point which I have since confirmed through MHF and OAL is a common failure on this model of Hartal door fitted to Autotrail,Rapido and latterly Swift as a warranty replacement for all the delaminating Hartal doors fitted by them circa 2007-9

Autotrail/Rapido and Swift have been rectifying this problem under warranty but due to the number of failures and as my door is only 17 months old I contacted Swift requesting that they send me a replacement handle and I would fit it myself under warranty as the part is “not fit for purpose”

The answer from Swift was to say the motor home was now out of warranty and that the door handle was not available as a spare part but they would supply a NEW DOOR at a cost of £ 1400.54p delivered to my dealer so with fitting and VAT say £2000 !!!!!!!

£2000 to fix a broken door handle!!!!! I replied that such a suggestion was ludicrous and that as Swift claim to provide spare parts for 8 years that they should contact Hartal and supply a handle as to spend £2000 on a door that was only 17 months old was outrageous

Swift replied offering to supply a new door at £800 plus fitting and VAT say £1500

I had by then info from both forums not only confirming the high failure rate of these door handles but that AutoTrail had the part in stock

I contacted AutoTrail who confirmed they stocked the door handle (as a complete unit with back plate, locking lever and operating handle ) and emailed a photo to confirm we were talking the same part, the part number AFT08WIN0005 and the cost £96.75 inc P+P and VAT

I then emailed Swift with this information as it would be of benefit to them as well as myself also again stating that if they provided the replacement to me (sale of goods act etc) I would fit it myself to save both party’s time and money

Swift reply stated AutoTrail do not supply this part but they would supply the new door at “only” £700 so say £1400 with fitting and VAT as the door handle was not available

I emailed copies of AutoTrails information re the part, the part number and costs to Swift on the 8th September and have had no reply

I had great respect for Swifts customer care until this issue as they have eventually resolved most of the continual failures and problems we have had with the motorhome since buying it new

Perhaps they figure that given the shameful history of component failure, poor workmanship and construction that we would never buy another Swift product and to sort out the door handle has no benefit to them

History of problems in no particular order

Rotting floor, wheel arches dropping off, cracked roof where awning fixings over tightened, basin fixings failing, 6 x control panels, 3 battery chargers, 5 fuse boxes, 3 x faulty hab doors, decorative foil peeling from boards, trim edges detaching, 230 volt sockets working intermittently, bubbling trims on cooker. rear skirtings losing colour, shower trim detaching, no support under front edge of shower tray, door handles on adjacent doors 30mm out of line, 3 x gas regulators, missing fixings to furniture, etc etc and aprox 6 months out of action/at dealers for warranty work

I will update if Swift respond

Regards to All

Ray

Guest JudgeMental
Blimey..you have been through it. Similar stories all over the place regards Swift...would not touch with a barge pole. Astonished that you still have "great respect" for their customer care! 8-)

Just buy a new handle from Autotrail and tell Swift to get stuffed. Who needs the hasle. That's exactly my point with buying British made vans. They've still got a long way to go before they even get close to the quality of German and French vans.

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2011-09-14 8:41 PMJust buy a new handle from Autotrail and tell Swift to get stuffed. Who needs the hasle. That's exactly my point with buying British made vans. They've still got a long way to go before they even get close to the quality of German and French vans.
Just a minute Peter8-)...........We have so far this year replaced our door handle and the water pump on a British van:D.............But there again, you probably have a point as they only lasted 21 years*-)..............................:D 

Ray,

That sounds about right for Swift. We had a Milano which was the forerunner of the Airstream. There wee several problems that Swift took ages to agree to and then even longer to fix. One instance a shower tray took 6 months to source and then a further 3 weeks by the dealer to fit.

We now have an Autotrail, we have had a couple of problems, one minor on which I e-mailed Autotail about and retun of post I received the part under warrenty. The major issue was a fridge, the dealer could not find out what was wrong, Thetford couldnt care less. A technician from Autotrail took the fidge vents off and within a couple of seconds said we needed a new Fridge. This was fitted 2 days later at the Factory plus another couple of minor niggles within a couple of hours. We were then asked if there was anything else that they could or needed doing whilst we were there, nothing was too much trouble.

The ethos of Autotail is (Without you the Customer we would not have a bussiness).

As has been said just get a handle from Autotrail.

Good luck.

David

I would be inclined to get the new handle from Autotrail and send a photo copy of the invoice to Swift politely asking them to reimburse you and letting them know how much you have saved them.

If they fail to respond you might try sending a second copy with a 'pro forma' county court small claims summons and a covering letter politely advisning them if they would prefer to settle now or see you in court risking court fees and expenses as well as the part cost.

It might - or might not - and they won't know which - only be a bluff but it has been known to work wonders in focusing the attention of some obstructive companies!

I have always had UK made vans and I have no complaints whatsoever about quality or durabilty. However my current van is a pre Swift Autocruise and whilst I suspect that if we change it will be to Autotrail it sure as heck will NOT be a Swift / Autocruise - and probably not Auto Sleepers either as they too seem to have gone downhill from the fabulous customer care provided by the Trevellyan family for so many years. There are others of course and Bentley looks promising at the moment?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2011-09-14 9:32 PM  There are others of course and Bentley looks promising at the moment?

Ditto what you say about Bentley Rich;-)..........From what I've seen and read they would be top of my must see list if I were buying a new van:D.................

Mind you I reckon that was true of most British manufactures before the accountants had taken over*-)

Guest JudgeMental

Below is an example of a template letter which lays out your rights under the sales of goods act 1979.

Its simple really, goods must be "as described - of a satisfactory quality - and fit for purpose" for a period of 6 years......believe me your door handles fail in every respect! Forget about the warranty period this is the law of the land *-)

send by registered post....Also contact "consumer direct" and they will open a file for you and talk you through the process.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/07/03/sale_of_goods_act_letter_downl.html

Your name

First line of address

Second line of address

Third line of address

Fourth line of address

Contact telephone number

Owner/Manager’s name

First line of company address

Second line of company address

Third line of company address

Fourth line of company address

Today’s date

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Faulty goods and the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)

On [date of purchase] I bought a [description of purchase] from you for [insert price] which has stopped working.

The problem is [enter description of fault].

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) states that when a consumer buys goods from a trader they must be: as described; of a satisfactory quality; and fit for any purpose made known at the time of sale to the seller.

This legislation also states that the seller, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out a problem if the goods do not meet these requirements.

The law also says I have six years from the date of purchase to claim damages for faulty goods.

My goods are not [delete as appropriate - as described/fit for purpose/of satisfactory quality] and I wish to claim a [delete as appropriate - repair/replacement/refund] of my goods under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended.

Please respond to my complaint within 7 days from receipt of this letter.

Yours faithfully,

[your name]

I echo the comments made about AutoTrail. When we bought or previous motorhome many of the continentals were ahead on quality and not far off on price. We bought a Rapido which served us very well for six years.

This time when we looked the quality of the continentals had slipped with corners clearly being cut to keep the prices down. Of British offerings Bently, Marquis, HI and AutoTrail impressed us. In the end we finished up with an AutoTrail as they were the onlynones with the layout we wanted. They also seem to have made a very determined effort quality wise. They have solved then door lock problem by fitting a new and much improved door. We also took into account the fact that they have their own factory repair facility which would get us back on then road if we should be unfortunate enough to have an accident. Not, the case with many of the continetal manufacturers.

We did have a problem with the new entertainment system which was promptly dealt with in the factory along with a few minor adjustments in the factory in a very impressive mannner.

I bought a Swift Bolero and had so many faults including a faulty door that I got shot of it after 3 yes 3 months. Would I ever buy or recommend any Swift product - Definately NO!!!.

Good luck on your on going saga. I think that I would buy the handle at your £96 and feel free and fully justified in mentioning your dealings to date with the company. If that results in few lost sales then it will more cost them a lot more than decent customer care would.

Unfortunately I would go along with the advise to purchase a lock and then fit it yourself and by all means have a go a sueing them as that will at least get a reaction.

I have been quite happy with my Swift Kontiki and over the years have rectified the number of minor faults that have occurred. However I now am in the process of rectifying water ingress to the floor at two different points. When I look at the cause of this problem it really annoys me at the quality of the product that was supposed to be a leader. The reasons for this problem occurring are

1 Poor design. It is pretty obvious that where the sides meet the floor then adequate sealing is required.

2 Shoddy workmanship. The fitters that assembly the MH are not taking their time to ensure the jointds are properly sealed.

3 Inspection and quality control. This has to be nonexistent

4 PDI by the supplying dealer. In the event of a problem the first port of call is with the suppling dealer. They therefore must be aware of recurring problems and could carry out remedial works before the MH leaves the dealership.

In my case the simple application of some sealer costing a few pence would have eliminated the problem at the outset. In my view until we can have a complete chain taking ownership of targeting possible obvious fault areas, then we as the customer are still going to be vey disappointed and end up paying through the nose.

Sorry from digressing from the OP

re satement about german door handles, well my outer door handle came apart on my hymer, and after falling over at the 450 pound +vat that hymer UK wanted, had a look around, and what did i find, same door handle was used by swifts, I found a dealer who had them for sale at 90 pounds all in, so much for german workmanship, mind you my bmw is better made (i hope)

michael

Amazes me Swift are still trading, your`story is little different from when we brought a new Kontiki some years ago.

Dealer spent most of his time stripping a new model to get spares where he could, then in long limbo if anything wanted from the factory.

Sold it back to another dealer, after being told by the original dealer , that he would never touch second hand Swifts with a bargepole. (Didn't seem to stop him selling us a new one though !)

Rgds

Tony,

You wonder why Swift are still in business - Well here are my thoughts

1- They look very pretty and modern in the brochures and in the showroom. My wife and I were seduced by the Bolero with its pretty silver sides and good looking interior. Our current motorhome A/S looked pretty staid in comparison, so against the advice of an honest Salesman (yes there are some) we bought ours instead of another make. BIG Mistake. As I have said above we gathered the bits together and got shot of it after 3-months.

2 - And the most important, I did not know about this or other forums until I had made made my decision to buy. I had always had caravans so motorhome forums were of no interest.

My fault, I wanted to buy British and trusted a name that I was familiar with from my caravanning days...

It would be interesting to know (though we will never find out) just what percentage of sales are to 1st time buyers and how much repeat business the company gets.

Mike

I have only had one Swift and that was one too many.

We had the misfortune to purchase one and after six months they sent a letter with a recall for leaking in the luton. they made arrangements to collect the van and returned it to their factory for repair, fine so far.

When they had completed the repair they informed us that we had to collect from their factory at our expense from SE London. When we enquired what form of warranty we had on their repair they said none only the remainder of existing warranty,

We informed the dealer who asked did we want the van on being told no they gave us a good part exchange deal which we took and they would get Swift to deliver it to them, so our ownership of the only Swift I would ever buy ended.

It was my own fault as I had said that I would never buy a Swift, and did not heed my own advice, you live and learn.

We had an Ace Airstrean 680FB for just under a year and was pleased to see the back of it , we now have an Autosleeper Nuevo II and are as pleased as punch with it as far as build quality goe's there is no comparison and would never own another Swift Built motorhome.

Archived