3.85t MH-breakdown & Recovery..?

pepe63xnotuse

Ooops! ...We've only just realised that our supposedly "all singing 'n' dancing" AA Roadside Assistance/Relay/Homestart/Family Membership etc etc,that we've got,doesn't cover our Mh,as it's over 3.5t! ..not even for the roadside breakdown side of things!?).

We have got breakdown cover with our motor insurance but that doesn't have any form of recovery/relay

and as that's up for renewal anyway, I'm on the look out for someone who does accept vehicles over 3.5t(Uk only would do for now..),so that I could drop the breakdown cover from the motor insurance while I was at it...

Who do others use?

Thanks

People generally seem to like to get cover for their motorhome with their motorhome insurance (and many insurers will provide cover above 3.5t).

My circumstances (insurer(s) and number of vehicles), however, have generally led me to take out cover independently.

My current van is 3.5t, but the previous was 3.85t, and was specifically covered (weight and dimensions) under the RAC Arrival policy taken out through the C&CC (of which you need to be a member - and the limits are only waived under this scheme, not under the standard RAC recovery). It is sold at a discount against standard RAC pricing (but anyone who pays standard pricing for ordinary cover is being a bit naive IMO)

My policy is driver-based, for both myself and my wife, and thus covers either of us in any vehicle (and we run 3 between us).

It can be taken out for UK-only, or extended to cover Europe, again with standard limits waived (though the latter needs care, as regardless of when you request any upgrade to European cover, they will charge a year's subscription, but only offer cover to the anniversary of any existing UK cover you are upgrading! This may or may not be an issue, depending on the number of overseas trips, and your anniversary date.)

There are still some limits as to the vehicle covered, but most motorcaravans will be OK.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/breakdownrecovery/

Thanks for that..I'll take a look.. ;-)

It does seem strange though,that the breakdown assistance cover which comes with our motor insurance,is supplied by the AA...yet with the 150 odd quids worth of membership(..which the other half has some how "accumulated",by adding bits on 8-) ) we;re not?....

I've since found breakdown cover available through the CC,which also includes recovery...

..and as I'm looking at dropping "breakdown" from my motor insurance,I'm now getting very competative quotes...

(..Front runners at present are Comfort Insurance,used along with the CC linked,well spec'd Greenflag breakdown cover,which would save us over £80 and gain us "Recovery"! )

Although I'll keep looking and check out your link...as there's no rush yet.. ;-)

Thanks again

We have RAC Arrival via the Camping and Caravanning Club because there are - as far as I know - no weight and length limits and they will also rescue you from an off road or camp site location as long as they can safely get their vehicles to you without risk of getting stuck themselves!

And another vote for Arrival thru' C&CC. We haven't had to use them for the MH yet (touchwood) but have had excellent service with cars.

As said before you get a discount on normal rates and the weight and length restrictions are lifted to cover 'any proprietary MH'.

My view of breakdown recovery sold with insurance policies is that it is just another money making scam along with the likes of redundancy cover and such! I like to shop round and buy insurance without the added hassle of what's included or added on and whether it's free or costing you money.

Keith.

Just thought of something else to consider when you get breakdown cover for your vehicle, when you go over the magic 3500kg figure, your European breakdown recovery can be affected and not cover you for as much as a vehicle below that.

When we had our Rimor Sailer 645TC, we were contemplating having it up-rated from 3500kg to 3850kg (paper exercise), but found that it changed our position with regard to breakdown in mainland Europe (with Safeguard insurance). Although it would still have been covered fully to recover etc, it meant our existing cover would not pay for a hire vehicle or hotel expenses (included as standard for vehicles under 3500kg) as it then went into the 'commercial recovery' category which excluded these things, so make sure you check the differences/restrictions between policies carefully.

Thanks everyone,for the input! ;-)

The Greenflag Mayday breakdown cover(through the CC) is still looking good at the moment...No weight/size restrictions(..they didn't mention if that was me or the vehicle though!? (lol) ),Local recovery(to a garage for repair),Nationwide recovery(home!) and "Dual" recovery(..** onwards to a site and then home after)..All for £62 (..unless I've missed something?.... :$ )

** I'll need to check that applies MHs though and not just cars and caravans....:-S

I've never really been confident with the breakdown cover that came with the motor insurance...as they,Safeguard,did not(and would not!)issue me with any documentation clarifying exactly what breakdown cover we had!?..all we ever got was "..it's through the AA but you'll only need to ring our Helpline,when you need it..." *-)

Anyway,thanks again all....

Edited for spelling(well,some anyway) - Dual..not DUEL...*-)

(.. I'm not gettin' up at dawn for anyone..pistols or no pistols! (lol) )

Just posting this as way of an apology to Safeguard..

..we were indeed covered with relay/recovery etc etc,on our motor insurance and they HAD sent us clafication of what breakdown cover we had..it was in amongst all the do's n don'ts/terms n conditions stuff..(..it's just that I hadn't "got around" to reading it all... :$ )

..and as they've now lowered their quote by over 50 quid,it looks as though we'll be staying with them...

Well done Safeguard... ;-)

I use Britannia Rescue. I get it cheaper through the CSMA. My van is under 3.5 tons but the terms of the policy say:

Motorhomes – must not be more than 8 metres in length or a weight when fully loaded not exceeding 7.5 tonnes and must be a recognised make and model which has been coach-built for that precise purpose. We will only cover vehicles over these limits if we have specifically agreed this with you, before your cover began.

If appropriate you must always carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel or a manufacturer supplied or approved emergency tyre inflation kit or equipment and keys for any tyre security devices.

I have called them out at home and the service was outstanding. They regularly get good press for being the most consistently good performer [often No 1].

You will need to tell them it is a motorhome!

Archived