Pet Passports - an important check for well travelled pets!

Mel B

Anyone who takes a pet away under the Pet Passport scheme should check that there is space in your pet's Pet Passports for the 'clinical examination' certification to be completed every time you return.

Romy, our cross staffie/greyhound, has been to mainland Europe and back 10 times now and there are 'lines' in the Ticks (VI) and Echinococcus (VII) treatment sections for 15 trips, but whoever designed the stupid passport make a right mess of it as it doesn't have enough lines in the 'Clinical Examination' section (IX) for that number of trips, just for 5!!! 8-)

The vets to date have got round this by instead utilising the next section 'Legalisation' (X) which is surplus to requirements normally and have entered their 'clinical examination' certification there instead, however, there are only 5 lines to this section too, so after 10 trips we're having to buy another passport for her. *-)

So if you have a well travelled dog or cat, check the 'clinical examination' section (IX) and see if you've still got space for the vet to complete it, if not, check if the 'Legalisation' section (X) has space in it for it to be used instead. For anyone who thinks that this isn't important, think again - every time we have returned to the UK this sections has been checked by the Pet Passport office at either the ferry or Eurotunnel terminals. :-|

Also, as some may already be aware, the Pet Passport scheme is going to be changed from January 2012, it isn't clear yet exactly what this will mean for those of us travelling to mainland Europe with our pets but my vet is checking it out for us as we've got a 'holiday' booked from February to March so I'll report back when I've got more info. :-D

Hi Mel. We have been in the same situation with our collie. We went to see our vet earlier this year for a new passport because both these sections were full. He said that the legalisation and examintion section do not need to be used for cross channel trips although the french vets always seem to complete it. It is normally used for crossings in aircraft or long haul journeys. I did not ask what a long haul journey is. Unfortunately our dog died before our holiday although I was going to buy a new passport because it worried me. Our puppy went on her new passport. The vet at Etaples near Le touquet did not complete either section. I again asked the question and she confirmed it was not necessary. We went straight through dog check in at eurotunnel with no questions asked ( i was nervous about it though). Still make your own checks to satisfy yourself,but i beleive that it does not need to be completed. We will be getting a new2nd puppy shortly to replace our much missed collie so will have to look at new regulations to see how to prepare her for her passport. Thanks for your postings on Tesco points our 1st eurotunnel crossing worked well with tesco points. Stuart

We have been travelling with our dog for the last 7 years and when we started taking him abroad we used to get the clinical check done but were told it was not necessary even on the italian ferries where they said it had to be done but nobody bothers. For the last 5 years we have not had it done and have not had a problem. Be very careful when getting a new passport that everything ties up, our French vet told us we would likely be stopped because the blood test was more than 5 years before any other entries in the new passport, however we weren't stopped and we checked with DEFRA who said there was no problem. We did have a problem once as date of chipping in the passport did not tie up with that held on the computer (computer operators fault) they held us for 5 hours whilst they contacted our vet.

Next year apparently the tick treatment is not required but not sure yet about the worming treatmnt and think this has to continue for a little while longer. Also you won't have to wait 6 months after the blood test before they can come back into the UK.

Guest pelmetman

hi Petra

Yes it looks like from January 2012 tick treatment will no longer be required.  Although we will continue to make sure that Troy has the necessary treatment done for our own peace of mind.  This should make the trip to the vets a bit cheaper.

As far as I understand they will still need the worming done but this is under review as well so it is wise to keep checking the Defra site.

Sue

Mel we have done 5 trips with Teddy and only twice has the Vet stamped the Clinical examination page!! as I understand it if going by ferry this section might be needed but nothing has ever been said about tthis section being completed when going by Tunnel.

It will be interesting to find just what is going to happen in January when the new law for the passport scheme is being changed, we were told by a customs worker when in the Vets in July that the visit to the Vet wouldnt be needed :-S . Now when I asked my Vet when Teddy had his booster last month he told me that they have been told NOT to give any advice we have to check with Defra for the new regulations.

Are they doing away with the passport? I dont know how they will do the checks then, or I wonder if you will just have to show that they have had their shots up to date when our passports are checked.!!

For anyone who intends to return to the UK before 1 Jan when I understand the new regs will come into force; if your pet's rabies vacination is due be sure to get it done in plenty of time.  My dog's was due 5 Sept and I had duly made the appointment.  Unfortunately she became poorly a day or two beforehand so I chose not to have the vacination.  Should we have been intending to travel and return before the new regs, we would not have been able to take her with us.  So my advice would be to get the vacination done in good time.  BTW, she is better now and the problem turned out to be nothing serious.

This is some of the current info on the Defra website, its still not clear though:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/

Our vet is more worried about the lack of mandatory tick treatment than anything else as this is so easy to pass on in pets, so it is a bit concerning is that this part of the treatment is probably being dropped, especially since it was a tick which caused the nasty tick fever (piroplasmosis) which is what our poor littly Lily had:

http://www.animalcouriers.com/downloads/tick-fever-in-dogs-Dr-Diana-James.pdf

I'm not sure how you will be able to prove that you have given your pet the appropriate treatment (and therefore waited the mandatory 24-48 hours I assume) if a vet isn't visited before your return to do it and complete the passport, therefore I can't see this being dropped, or the ferry/eurotunnel check of the passport either, so I don't think in reality for those of us who already have pets with a passport, much will change. The only real benefit will be to those who are getting their pet a passport from January onwards as this will be simplified and cheaper.

As for the 'clinical examination', all I can say is what we've experienced when coming back to the UK ... if it proves to NOT be required then hopefully we can still use Romy's original passport for a few more times.

Our vet hasn't told us to 'go forth and multipy' and is still trying to get to the bottom of what's required, but it is still being 'decided' - apparently, if vets are able to show that genuine and real problems will occur due to the relaxing of the tick treatment, it may still be mandatory.

As my hubby just said ... it's a real can of 'worms' ..... pun intended!!! :D

Madmaggott - 2011-09-16 5:17 PM

For anyone who intends to return to the UK before 1 Jan when I understand the new regs will come into force; if your pet's rabies vacination is due be sure to get it done in plenty of time.  My dog's was due 5 Sept and I had duly made the appointment.  Unfortunately she became poorly a day or two beforehand so I chose not to have the vacination.  Should we have been intending to travel and return before the new regs, we would not have been able to take her with us.  So my advice would be to get the vacination done in good time.  BTW, she is better now and the problem turned out to be nothing serious.

Sorry about your poorly, pooch, good to hear she's okay. It is a very good thing to remind people to get the vaccination done with a good margin before it is actually due - if you miss the vaccination date by just one day, you have to start all over again .....

Our vet is more worried about the lack of mandatory tick treatment than anything else as this is so easy to pass on in pets, so it is a bit concerning is that this part of the treatment is probably being dropped, especially since it was a tick which caused the nasty tick fever (piroplasmosis) which is what our poor littly Lily had:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes that isnt just about removing the ticks its more about stoping them getting and bitting your pet in the first place because of the nasties these things can pass on.

Having said that we tried Advocate just two weeks ago ( a free sample from the Vet) we have always used Frontline and that is only effective against ticks for four weeks! but both my dogs were knocked out with it, they were very lethargic all night and Teddy who has a very sensetive stomach suffered blood in his stools the next day Tilly the 14 month was alright after she had had a nights sleep, so I have been put off using it again, it also is the only thing the Vet said that has been effective in treating for Lung Worm so it must be potent stuff. :-S

Both mine had to have ticks removed just this year while in Germany, I used Surgical spirit and the small plastic tool to get them out!! had I known about piroplasmosis Mel I think I would have been worried sick!! Im always a bit warry of putting too much chemical in such small dogs, Teddy is 5.25kg Tilly is 4.25 ! Im going to have to do my homework before next Feb; when the treatments start again.

The French vet recommended the following as the best prevention for the ticks there:

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/dogs/flea-and-tick/Promeris-Duo-Small-Dog.html

It also appears that marmite and garlic have some preventative benefits but I don't think I'd then want the dogs licking me:

http://www.jawt.co.uk/forum/general-discussion/general-chat/promeris-flea-and-tick-treatment-106126

Mel B - 2011-09-17 6:51 PM

The French vet recommended the following as the best prevention for the ticks there:

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/dogs/flea-and-tick/Promeris-Duo-Small-Dog.html

It also appears that marmite and garlic have some preventative benefits but I don't think I'd then want the dogs licking me:

http://www.jawt.co.uk/forum/general-discussion/general-chat/promeris-flea-and-tick-treatment-106126

Has anybody used Promeris flea and tick treatment? Our akita has recently developed a skin condition, we took him to a new vets who prescribed steroids and anti biotics and also Promeris.

Promeris seemed to be similar to frontline in the sense of it being a spot on treatment, the main difference was the smell, it smells like a cheap pine air freshener.

After applying the promeris treatment the smell was almost unbearable. Later that day my dog seemed lethargic and was not at all his bouncy self and looked as if he was struggling to walk. As i was quite concerned i stayed up throughout the night to ensur that he was ok. at about four o'clock in the morning he stood up, walked towards the door and peed all over the floor, this was really out of character.

The vet was phoned immediately when they opened, and straight away he told me that it was the flea treatment and some dogs have bad reactions to the chemical to treat ticks. i was told that the effects would wear of within 48 hours, which they did.

I will not be using this treatment again as there seems to be many negative reports across the internet. Sorry for the long post. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont like the sound of that one do you? I certainly wouldnt use it.

Mel B - 2011-09-17 7:01 PM

I certainly wouldn't use Advocate as it is NOT even supposed to stop ticks - even their blurb doesn't say it does so I don't know why it's been suggested by your vet!

Try the garlic and marmite .... could be fun! :D

Yes it does Mel I was shown the box which had a picture and listed everything on the box, and it had more or less the ill effects of that other one.

maggyd - 2011-09-17 7:48 PM

Mel B - 2011-09-17 7:01 PM

I certainly wouldn't use Advocate as it is NOT even supposed to stop ticks - even their blurb doesn't say it does so I don't know why it's been suggested by your vet!

Try the garlic and marmite .... could be fun! :D

Yes it does Mel I was shown the box which had a picture and listed everything on the box, and it had more or less the ill effects of that other one.

http://www.365vet.co.uk/acatalog/Prescription_AC.html

have a look on here it is a prescription only drug.

http://www.discountpetcare.co.uk/products.aspx?id=15&product=advocate_spot_on_

also on here but the information says nothing about ticks!!!!!!

But there again I didnt ask for a tick treatment I just took it that as with Frontline it does All.

I think the reason they are stopping the tick treatment is that there are plenty of ticks in England and the spot on Frontline does not work for bigger dogs and it certainly does not work for our labrador. When we lived abroad the only sure way of dealing with ticks was to use Frontline spray at least once a month which we still do.

Anyone going abroad with their dog should certainly use Frontline before they go and not just when they are returning home. We definitely recommend using the spray rather than the spot on treatment.

Petra - 2011-09-19 3:15 PM

I think the reason they are stopping the tick treatment is that there are plenty of ticks in England and the spot on Frontline does not work for bigger dogs and it certainly does not work for our labrador. When we lived abroad the only sure way of dealing with ticks was to use Frontline spray at least once a month which we still do.

Anyone going abroad with their dog should certainly use Frontline before they go and not just when they are returning home. We definitely recommend using the spray rather than the spot on treatment.

Its not a good idea to go without Frontline or similar at any but the coldest months and even then with central heating you might still have problems, I start my dogs off in March and treat until Oct; but I know Im taking a chance but I dont like to overdose such small dogs as mine.

My Son has just in the last couple of weeks said that Frontline isnt working on his Parsons Jack Russell!! the spray might be more effective for him, I did used to use the spray on my first chihuahua 20 years ago as my Vet at that time said he wasnt in favour of anything that passed through the dogs internal organs!! its funny how things change.

Archived