chausson welcome 85 v rapido 972m

essjay

Hi all at out and about, has anyone got opinions on either the chausson welcome 85 low profile v the rapido 972m a class. Lynette and I are really in a turmoil as to which to go for and being our first motorhome really do need some help in deciding. We are leaning towards the chausson but really can't make up our minds. Any sound advice and opinions are greatly appreciated. We've seen the chausson and really like it but won't see the rapido untill later on. Thanks

Guest JudgeMental

They both have similar layouts? depending on year? which offers lots of interior space (but little storage) It all depends on individual requirements to be honest. I would not have a coachbuilt without a garage for all the camping gear, supplies and expensive e bikes..but that is us?

A class vans scare me a bit as they are big. have expensive headlamps and windscreens, which can be difficult to find and very expensive. You need to say what year vans you are looking at. If older I would get a Damp survey and mechanical inspection carried out for peace of mind. Also I cant see either (particularly the A class) as having a practical payload at 3500kg

You say that you haven't seen the rapido yet?

There is a world of difference in livability between a similar size A class and a low profile van, don't forget the oily bits, with the Rapido you have a Mercedes base, the chausson is not so well endowed.  While I have only owned a Chausson Flash series I would not repeat the experience.

I'm certain that when you see the Rapido your decision will be easy, don't be put off by tales of the size, the size on the road (length for length) is the same, its just that with the larger windscreen you have better visibility.

I'll go now while the owners of Low profiles sharpen their arrows!!!!!:-)

A newer cheaper model such as a Chausson is going to have the same price as a much older expensive one.

Only you can decide which you prefer and therefore which gives you the best value. Entirely a matter of personal preference, but as you are comparing two such dissimilar models I would suggest you look at some others in your price range before making a decision.

Just to say we've a Chausson 83('08),similar layout to the 85(possibly identical?),only plonked on a Renault..

A very well made van though(...considering they're thought of by some as "budget" vans..)

We do find the loo's slightly short on..ahem.. "knee room" though :$ ..and the payload was quite low in standard 3.5 form,the previous owner of ours' had upped it to 3.85t(...a free,paper work exercise,as it is already 3.8t,that has beenn"downrated")

Although as has been said it's usual to either "want" an A class or a low profile??...so you really do need to see them both....

Guest JudgeMental
essjay - 2011-09-18 8:28 AM

hey judge, do you mean that whatever i buy is going to rot and if so how long after and how do i protect it, and as it's going to be our first motorhome what would you suggest or is it just personal preference. thanks judge

whatever you are thinking of buying could do with a professional Damp check? probably the main area of concern with ALL Campers and potentially the most expensive to rectify!

There are mobile engineers that will do this and I doubt it is that expensive as it is a quick non intrusive job.....When buying used that and mechanical condition your main concerns I would think. For about £120 (last time I had one) there are countrywide engineers that will visit seller and give you a mechanical report. The motorhome side of things you can check for yourself?

My last van (2007) looked fine to me? no smell of damp etc...but when teted it needed 3 months work carried out (under warranty) *-)

essjay - 2011-09-17 8:32 PM Thanks for the replies all. The chausson is a 2007 model with rear french bed with 9000 miles on the clock, and the rapido is 2003 model again with the rear french bed layout with 23000 miles on the clock

The mileages you quote would be considered minimal for the commercial base vehicle, they're good for 250000 miles so not even run in yet, you really need to judge by condition, what are you getting for the money, compare new for new prices, you never get something for nothing, as I said while not having owned a 'Welcome' series I was pleased to get rid of my Chausson 'Flash' after 9 months due to its deterioration in that time, for light weight read fragile!

I agree. Chausson are Trigano group, so have greater buying power than most others. Vans are good value for what you get, but are generally regarded as mid-market, and have had a reputation for not maintaining their appearance as well as higher quality vans. But, you start with a newer van.

Rapido are highly regarded in France, and rate higher market status, though not right at the top of the quality league. The external bodywork should be very good, and will, overall, last in longer in better condition than the coachbuilt Chausson, though it starts 4 years down the road. Hence approximate parity in price.

Interior condition of both will indicate how carefully they have been used. Be critical. Watch for DIY bodges.

Damp should be the major check to have carried out on either, anything out of the ordinary, and just walk away. Make sure you get a copy of the record, don't rely on verbal.

Check number of previous owners of both, if unusual, may indicate a fault with the design, or a rogue van. Make sure either has a full service history, and that all services have been carried out by "proper" service centres at the correct intervals. Most vans have a minimum service requirement of one service per year, irrespective of mileage. This is not always prominent in the base vehicle handbook, and is sometimes overlooked. Check MoT status, and when due.

Check ages of tyres on Rapido (including spare), as they will soon need replacement if not already replaced.

I would recomment that you ask to see the roof so that you could see whether it was 'whole' or whether any equipment i.e. solar panels, satellite dome/dish or even a top box had been removed and if it has, make sure it has been sealed correctly.

We very nearly bought a Frankia that had been bodged by the previous owner with Ice Cream cartons and mastic. When it rained it leaked like a seive. Needless to say we didn't buy it, but if it hadn't rained we would not think about looking at the roof. We do now :-S

Thankyou all for replying, and advice and opinions, we,ve now viewed the rapido and although it has been used regularly it hasn't been washed for about a year but the seller has assured me that it comes up like new and better than his A class pilote that he has bought to replace the rapido. There's no smell of any damp and when it's parked up the windows and heikas are left slightly open. The rear bumper has a little bit of damage on it and has been bodged but saying that he does have a new bumper ready to be fitted. The seller also says that it pulls very well and cruises nicely at 70 to 80mph easily. Just hope it hasn't been thrashed. Thanks all.

Lynette and Steve

So,this is through a private seller then...

..personally I'd be slighty concerned as to how much actual routine maintainance/TLC it's had,if he couldn't even be bothered to wash it or fit his new bumper...?!?... :-S

..and as for being "assured" by a seller that it'll clean up okay or that it cruise at a given speed etc,that is no substitute for actually witnessing it yourself... ;-)

Get him to clean it up and to fit the the bumper and make him putting it through a habitaion service/damp check,part of the deal..and thoroughly check that EVERYTHING works(..on 12v,hookup and gas)

(..You wouldn't buy a car without an MOT,just because the seller said it's be okay... :-S )

So just be a bit careful...

Fully agree with the above. The words "seller assures" ring a few bells. It's a big investment so trust nobody. If he can't clean it up for sale or put the ready to use bumper on then he hasn't looked after it and it might indicate further unseen problems. Caveat emptor - plenty of other vans out there, so don't be afraid of walking away.

Guest JudgeMental
Oh dear...just listen to both common sense annswers above and add mine. If he cant be ass'd to present vehicle for sale in a clean and orderly fashion, what else has he not been bothered to do I wonder! *-)

thanks all again for the replies, and we are going to go for an A class because of the luxury feel to them and the build quality . The seller with the Raido 972m is not a dealer, but parks it on the street opposite his house.Is that the reason he pays over £500 for his insurance do you think, I will contact the seller again and ask them to clean it then have another viewing and maybe a test drive . We have been looking since about June so as you can tell we aren't going to be rushed but really did like the Rapido. Thanks again all . Steve and Lynette

Archived