Bailey Ugly

Colin Leake

Guest pelmetman
I don't doubt its a well made robust van, as the advert with a Mondeo parked on the roof proved:D..........They may have got over the frame leaking with this new system, now they just have to stop the leaks from skylights, solar panels, satellites etc etc:D 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just been watching this Tesco home delivery van delivering shopping in our road. Now I know where Bailey got their design inspiration for the back end of their new motorhome!

The main sales point seems to be their new construction method which may or may not prove to be all they claim. One has hope they are right for their sake it is as they seem to have as it were bet the farm on it.

Be that as it may it solves a problem that in most motorhomes simply does not exist. Water ingress normally occurs around badly fitted windows, grills, roof vents and arials etc.

I see that AutoTrail have now gone to a ten year warranty with their well proven traditional method of construction in which they must be very confident based on an anaylis of past claims. I rather suspect that changing to the new metal framed windows this year has much to do with that decision because the previous rather dodgy windows they used were known to be a source of water ingress problems.

colin - 2011-09-23 7:32 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2011-09-23 9:22 AM

I find the idea comical that a motorhome, irrespective of its design, size and shape, can ever be considered a thing of beauty, ...

Do you include campervans in that statement? I have a tale to tell about that!

Yes - all of them.

Although beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder and form should follow function, there are rules of composition that govern human aesthetics. A rhinoceros looks purposeful, but I doubt if anyone would claim that it's beautiful (though I expect rhinoceroses would if they could talk).

There’s something uncomfortable about the section of an X/250 Ducato’s front from the bottom of the windscreen going vertically downwards. The very high-set headlamps and the sticky-out flat-topped bumper just don’t marry together. Even the revised frontal treatment Rapido uses on some X/250-based models (see MMM October 2011, page 155) doesn’t disguise completely the headlamps’ peculiar placement. It’s not that high-set headlamps are stylistically ‘ugly’ per se – they work fine on the Renault Trafic – just that the X/250’s lights are too high to properly integrate aesthetically with the bumper and windscreen.

I think all the current crop of motorhomes are unattractive frontally. Ever since the mid-2000s, whether it’s unmodified chassis like Ducato, Sprinter or Transit, or even A-class motorhomes, frontal treatments have become uglier. Look through MMM’s advertisements and compare the front of, say, a 2005 Auto-Trail Ducato-based model with a 2007 equivalent. Surely everyone would agree that the former would get more votes in a beauty contest?

Well I wasn't thinking just about modern vans,but, just today amongst many compliments (yes many!) made about our van, one woman in particular said "oh it's gorgous, it's bueatiful" , now I would call it smart but there you go. Which reminds me I must call up Alistair and see if I can be put on commission :D

I was thinking more about splitty's and bay windows, the other week gf was taking a photo of a yellow and white bay on the campsite as it looked so nice.

Sorry Colin - but in my wiew the VW splitty's can't be classed as good locking. Iconic maybe but never a good looker. (I like some curves ;-) )

I do think that Fiat, Peugeot & Citroen designers could do with taking a lesson from the Rapido Van & the Burstner A Class modified front ends. A big improvement IMHO.

Guest pelmetman
I think vehicle styling now days is very much more aggressive8-)........It's not surprising I suppose as life in general seems more aggressive, and with TV programs like the "Apprentice" which seem to promote that kind of attitude*-)
But getting back to Campers, I reckon Autotrail currently have the best looking rear ends:D
Maybe we should have a poll on "Rear of the Year" for campers(lol)  

flicka - 2011-09-24 9:06 PM

Sorry Colin - but in my wiew the VW splitty's can't be classed as good locking. Iconic maybe but never a good looker. (I like some curves ;-) )

I do think that Fiat, Peugeot & Citroen designers could do with taking a lesson from the Rapido Van & the Burstner A Class modified front ends. A big improvement IMHO.

Dethleffs has also re-interpreted the Ducato's frontal appearance for some 2012 models, though I'm not sure it's such a great improvement. See

http://www.caraworld.de/Dethleffs-Esprit-T-7150-*Modell-2012*-Wohnmobil-neu-2012-59423-Unna-10034c.html

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2011-09-25 6:45 PM
flicka - 2011-09-24 9:06 PMSorry Colin - but in my wiew the VW splitty's can't be classed as good locking. Iconic maybe but never a good looker. (I like some curves ;-) )I do think that Fiat, Peugeot & Citroen designers could do with taking a lesson from the Rapido Van & the Burstner A Class modified front ends. A big improvement IMHO.
Dethleffs has also re-interpreted the Ducato's frontal appearance for some 2012 models, though I'm not sure it's such a great improvement. See http://www.caraworld.de/Dethleffs-Esprit-T-7150-*Modell-2012*-Wohnmobil-neu-2012-59423-Unna-10034c.html
Blimey....... a camper with a built in towel rail8-)..........on the front?

Derek Uzzell - 2011-09-25 6:45 PM

flicka - 2011-09-24 9:06 PM

Dethleffs has also re-interpreted the Ducato's frontal appearance for some 2012 models, though I'm not sure it's such a great improvement. See

http://www.caraworld.de/Dethleffs-Esprit-T-7150-*Modell-2012*-Wohnmobil-neu-2012-59423-Unna-10034c.html

OH No Derek,

I was only listing those I considered an IMPROVEMENT (lol)

Your link & also the Dethleffs A Class front changes, don't do it for me.

I agree that the only 'New' thing about the Bailey Motorhomes appears to be the method of construction, a shame, as this was a good chance to do something really 'differant' .

They (the overcabs) look a bit 'Top heavy' and the low profiles not very low profile and a bit wide at the top. So, i don't think they are 'Ugly' just 'Not that special' apart from 'Alu-tech'. Ray

Guest pelmetman
crinklystarfish - 2011-09-23 9:38 AM

Aesthetics are often a personal thing and I find the look quite purposeful. I personally aren't that keen on the concept of fashion over function and am pleased that they have attempted to bring some genuine innovation to the market. If they are indeed as well built as the hype suggests then the company are to be applauded.

It's a pity that they seem to be instantly alienating some customers simply because 'boxy' isn't (currently) perceived as fashionable.

I guess that when rain is running down the inside walls of your shoddily built 'van at least you will have the comfort of knowing that most other fashionistas will think it looks pretty.

You have a point Crinkly with companies who are run by accountants;-)

I have a different approach to making, and follow the arts and craft principals of making:D form over function is wrong;-)........They should be equal like Yin Yang, as in art and craft the style does not impede the function, but are part of the same item sadly now days Joe Public only recognize these skills in retrospect................. Oh dear did I type that:$........ I'm p*ssed again:D 

I have no beef with a balance of form and function, I admit I wouldn't own some motorhomes because I personally consider them ugly.

I wrote fashion over function though; something very, very different. At some point I'll wager that a nod towards boxy and angular will be the vogue again.

It's as predictable as it is dull, and is a pursuit well suited to those incapable of independent thought.

Again, good for Bailey (even though 'proper' coachbuilders have been using similar external extrusion frames as part of the stressed structure for years).

One point has confuded me with the new Bailey's, is their quoted payload.

Reading the review on the other mag.

The Coachbuilt (Luton) - Approach SE760 @ 7.5m long & 3500kg quotes a payload of 668kg - quite substantial for such a large van.

But the Low Profile - Approach SE 740 again 7.5m long & 3500kg chassis, quotes a payload of 510kg.

I find this strange when all the heavy components are very similar capacities & the Luton has the extra weight associated with all the steelwork for rear passenger seats.

Always possible that the figures have got transposed, but if correct I think the Bailey Approach SE760 could be attractive to younger families, where the driver may be restricted to the 3500kg

• 2 weeks later...
Just home from the NEC show and have had a look at the new Bailey one things for sure it was not designed by a draughsman more like a 4 year old with a box of Lego we never managed to take a look inside as viewing was by appointment only , so I told the rep there are plenty of other dealers exhibiting without appointments and I would not waste my time waiting to see this motorhome.

(I find the idea comical that a motorhome, irrespective of its design, size and shape, can ever be considered a thing of beauty, though I must agree that the Approach 760's mixture of the hideous Ducato cab, with a huge sleeping carbuncle above it and a large 'shed' behind it, is hardly an elegant combination.)

Really Derek, How about this then? Far from ugly in my view. But then I'm biased as I have one. :D

993439384_LeVoyaeurMotorhome.jpg.e47b439aef3fd694ec0a411956181946.jpg

peter - 2011-10-11 9:37 PM

(I find the idea comical that a motorhome, irrespective of its design, size and shape, can ever be considered a thing of beauty, though I must agree that the Approach 760's mixture of the hideous Ducato cab, with a huge sleeping carbuncle above it and a large 'shed' behind it, is hardly an elegant combination.)

Really Derek, How about this then? Far from ugly in my view. But then I'm biased as I have one. :D

Looks-wise I've always had a softish spot for Le Voyageur, and the LVX range is IMO probably as appealing as one can expect for a big plastic lump (though I think the grey radiator grille certainly ain't attractive).

However - having produced a design that 's the right side of ugly (though hardly "beautiful"), along comes the 2011 Le Voyageur Platinum Series and the RMB collaboration...

http://www.levoyageur.fr/en/index.php

kelly58 - 2011-10-11 6:17 PM...one things for sure it was not designed by a draughsman more like a 4 year old with a box of Lego we never managed to take a look inside as viewing was by appointment only , so I told the rep there are plenty of other dealers exhibiting without appointments and I would not waste my time waiting to see this motorhome.

Or the rep's, presumably.

crinklystarfish - 2011-10-12 9:54 AM
kelly58 - 2011-10-11 6:17 PM...one things for sure it was not designed by a draughsman more like a 4 year old with a box of Lego we never managed to take a look inside as viewing was by appointment only , so I told the rep there are plenty of other dealers exhibiting without appointments and I would not waste my time waiting to see this motorhome.

Or the rep's, presumably.

The thing to remember is I paid to be there the Rep is paid to be there !!

Guest pelmetman

This thread sounds very much like we all base a book by its cover:-)

I don't doubt that for people who have suffered from leaking vans. be they campers or caravans then this system will appeal:-)

Personally if I had Peters money I would of bought his van, as I see a vehicle a bit like women;-)...........It starts with the curves(lol)

Archived