Motorhome Breakdown & recovery

daisymaisy

Hi

Many years a caravanner - but new to Motorhomes. Having browsed AA & RAC websites do not seem able to locate precise details on permissable vehicle details (ie max weight/length etc) & their emailed responses to my request for info were a bit vague to say the least. Would appreciate any guidance/advice & also if there are other providers (apart from AA & RAC) members would recommend

We have Peugeot Assist, who use the AA

Our Insurance is with Comfort who (if you take the option) use the RAC.

Caravan Club Insurance use Green Flag.

If you have a new Motorhome there shoiuld be breakdown cover provided by the Manufacturer for the 1st year & I found the cheapest option was to extend this prior to it expiring.

BUT be careful & check fully, with both the AA & RAC, if you take a Personal membership the Weight & Length restrictions are lower than those applicable to Manufacturer & Insurance providers limits.

I don't know what limits Green Flag impose.

flicka - 2011-09-22 9:13 PM

BUT be careful & check fully, with both the AA & RAC, if you take a Personal membership the Weight & Length restrictions are lower than those applicable to Manufacturer & Insurance providers limits.

Yeah,that's what we found(..hence me starting the other thread),as I wrongly assumed that our "Personal" AA membership(..with all it's bells'n'whistles)would cover us..it didn't!?

Whereas,the AA cover through our Safeguard motor insurance does... :-S

When we bought our Peugeot motorhome in November 2008 I noticed that the Peugeot Assist EXCLUDED ANYTHING TO DO WITH TYRES. I don't know if this is still the case but I foresaw a potential costly situation if we had problems with tyre damage and couldn't extract the spare wheel from under the van ourselves.

As regards breakdown cover : CC Green Flag has no restrictions on size or weight of motorhomes and is very comprehensive.

You can also cover any other vehicles at your home address, including those owned by other family members. Both ourselves and our daughter have found Green Flag to be very helpful and efficient - they also provide a pre-paid reply survey for feedback after an "incident" or breakdown.

mel wood - 2011-09-23 11:44 AM

When we bought our Peugeot motorhome in November 2008 I noticed that the Peugeot Assist EXCLUDED ANYTHING TO DO WITH TYRES. I don't know if this is still the case but I foresaw a potential costly situation if we had problems with tyre damage and couldn't extract the spare wheel from under the van ourselves.

As regards breakdown cover : CC Green Flag has no restrictions on size or weight of motorhomes and is very comprehensive.

You can also cover any other vehicles at your home address, including those owned by other family members. Both ourselves and our daughter have found Green Flag to be very helpful and efficient - they also provide a pre-paid reply survey for feedback after an "incident" or breakdown.

But of course is only good in the UK.

Bas

Our Insurance is with Comfort who (if you take the option) use the RAC.

Caravan Club Insurance use Green Flag.

If you have a new Motorhome there shoiuld be breakdown cover provided by the Manufacturer for the 1st year & I found the cheapest option was to extend this prior to it expiring.

I don't know what limits Green Flag impose.

We use Green Flag and they have no restrictions provided you join through the Caravan Club. My understanding is that for some reason this is not the case if you take out membership direct with them.

The RAC weight/dimension restrictions for their standard Ts&Cs are clearly published as per the attachment below.

Anyone wishing to use the RAC and avoid these restricitions would be well advised to look at the C&CC "Arrival" scheme which gives RAC cover without theese restrictions (though, of course, there is still "small print" that should be digested).

RAC.JPG.6645bb4a6a2b88c955ca208ae5246664.JPG

daisymaisy - 2011-09 -24 7:57 PM

Many thanks for advice - hopefully I can add/incorporate to my existing car breakdown policy - RAC (for an extra premium)

daisymaisy

As has been pointed out by various folks if you want RAC cover with no restrictions regarding length and weight you need to go through the CCC Arrivals scheme.

Likewise similar cover is available from Grren Flag via CC Mayday.

Perhaps this is a silly question, however do the breakdown add ons to the insurance cover for accident damage as well.

When we had a caravan we used Green Flag Mayday as they covered all eventualities. Abroad we used Red Pennant, thus does the motorhome breakdown additions to the policy cover the same, aside of the travel insurance (personal stuff)

Thank you :-D

David Dwight - 2011-09-22 5:47 PM

We use Safeguard for insurance and breakdown. Safeguard use the AA, we have used them in the past and everything was very good.

David

So do we and this covers us in Europe too. (and competitively priced)

However, we also have Green Flag through Caravan Club with personal cover (around £100 pa) which covers both of us in any vehicle so we get cover for the tow car, bike and any car in the family providing we are in it for everything including wheel changes, breakdowns, relay and accident recovery with no weight or size restrictions

Mike

daisymaisy - 2011-09-28 5:31 PM

ref RAC max length - Vehicles = 18' (far too short for most motorhomes!)

But not if you join thru' the C&CC's 'Arrival' scheme.

The weight and length restrictions are waived AND you get a discount :-D

The restriction is then re-worded to something like 'any proprietary make'.

HTH,

Keith.

Hawcara - 2011-09-26 8:11 PM

Perhaps this is a silly question, however do the breakdown add ons to the insurance cover for accident damage as well.

When we had a caravan we used Green Flag Mayday as they covered all eventualities. Abroad we used Red Pennant, thus does the motorhome breakdown additions to the policy cover the same, aside of the travel insurance (personal stuff)

Thank you :-D

Hi

Yes it does with Safeguard-everything is covered even wheel changes, running out of fuel, or even if it is vandalised and unable to travel etc both UK + Europe-and you don't have to notify them in advance that you are going abroad

Don't know about the 'add ons' part of other insurance companies

Mike

We are also with RAC through the C&CC Arrival scheme. We looked into it several years ago and like you found problems with length/weight etc limits with standard AA and RAC. The Arrival scheme has no such limits.

We have been members of the RAC for our cars and we get Roadside, Recovery, At Home and Accident Care for approx £100. This covers both my husband and I in any vehicle we are travelling either as a passenger or driver. We then pay the £39 annual membership fee to C&CC and this gives us RAC Arrival for free. I couldn't get this package with any other provider for this price.

Hope this helps.

Mrs Sea - 2011-09-28 10:00 PM

. We then pay the £39 annual membership fee to C&CC and this gives us RAC Arrival for free.

Hope this helps.

The annual CCC membership fee DOES NOT provide free RAC Arrival cover.

As a CCC member you MAY CHOOSE TO PAY for Arrival breakdown cover : ie; you have to be a CCC member to be able to get RAC ARRIVAL cover.

I quite agree with you on the pricing Mel.

BUT at the moment there is an offer of 25% discount on the RAC membership (instead of the usual 15%) and a £20 C&CC gift voucher so well worth joining the C&CC to get the discounts.

Have a look at the RAC website for more details and to get an instant quote.

Keith.

Archived