MMM Club Events - 2012 - ideas please?

Louise Cox

For those that subscribe to MMM -

We are looking for some ideas/feedback on what we can do at our outdoor shows for 2012, what added extras or events would appeal.

This year we had a private MMM members' lounge at our Peterborough show, where MMM subscribers could get a free tea or coffee, relax with the papers, meet the MMM team and take advantage of some exclusive subscriber benefits in the spacious lounge.

At the Midsummer Great Escape show back in June we held our very first rally for MMM subscribers. We treated our subscribers to a fabulous free hog roast on the Thursday evening, an exclusive pre-booking discount and a special goody bag on arrival.

So for 2012 - should it be along the same lines or would relevant seminars and practical workshops be a good idea? Test drives on new motorhomes perhaps?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Louise Cox

MMM Membership Development Manager

Hi Louise,

I'm not a subscriber (I do buy MMM monthly), but I'm happy to suggest a few things even if I won't be allowed to join in :'(

(>) Instruction in manoeuvering a motorhome (e.g. reversing & parking, using levelling ramps)

(>) "Top Tips" notice board where members can jot down their offerings so everyone can benefit

(>) A fun quiz about motorhomes and / or motorhoming (either in the format of a quiz night with teams, or a paper one that could be done during the course of the show)

(>) Motorhome maintenance workshop (habitation and mechanics)

(>) A workshop on winterising your motorhome

(>) A "gymkhana" event or motorhome obstacle course (the sort where you have to take a tight bend, reverse in between cones, parallel park, etc. in the best time). Using your own motorhome, and with "soft" obstacles, of course! Penalty points for touching cones, not covering a part of the course, etc.

I suppose some of the activities could even be led or sponsored by relevant companies other than Warners.

I understand about giving subscribers an exclusive package, but some of these activities might act as a draw to non-subscribers too, and help to create a more attractive show all round. In case you didn't see my other post, I've pinched a few of the suggestions from the motorhome show about to take place in Holland.

As for the goodie bag, a simple but useful thing to include would be a master copy of a "before you drive off" checklist.

Hope that helps,

Steve

As well as meet the MMM team session(s), how about getting some manufacturer's design teams together for a Q&A session >:-)

How often do the product designers get to actually meet the users.

User feedback would benefit the manufacturer & ultimately the buyers.

Although there's a constant supply of "new" model launches, there appears to be little market research my manufacturers.

I second the comment about entertainment for children, our two have a love hate relationship with these events, they like being away and seeing friends, but are bored rigid by the shows.

We have been to several of the evening entertainments as well and these are very much tailored to the older generation, the main exception here being Jimmy Cricket, but I'm not sure who he appeals to.... I'm not saying we want to see eminem or Jaylo (spelling?), but a a bit of an update would be good.

In the past we have really enjoyed; Faith Brown, Roger Decorsey, Keith Harris, Cannon and Ball, and many others.

Some of the acts also go on a bit too long.

Activities such as Archery, zorbing, and the treasure hunt already mentioned might be good. Possibly bear in mind kids love to be on there bikes as well?

Pedal cycle proficiency course for the young ones with an agility course and competition. Sponcered by the Police perhaps?

Battery assisted pedal cycle demonstration and course for the not so young ones with an agility course and competition / prize (sponcered by the sellers at the show perhaps).

Motorcycle agility course for us nutters who are petrolheads!!

A Hog spit roast where we can see the hog on a spit roasting beforehand?

Entertainment from the nutters at East Lindsey Fire Brigade as they did so well a few shows back raising cash for charity.

How about a dedicated corner for those with mobility buggies where mains hookup to charge the buggies is provided? (To reduce the number of generators running all over the camping grounds)

Howzat?

C.

rolandrat - 2011-09-27 3:03 PM

A dedicated table top sale area where you can offer for sale any unwanted used motorhome/camping equipment or spare parts.

This would be a big benefit to all. Most of us have some equipment/accessories that are now surplus due to change of need / change of van etc., but Show rules always forbid "For Sale" signs.

It should be easy to relax the rules for items below a set figure.

Great for newbies equipping out their vans, great for Sellers (a bit of cash to splash on something else) & Green recycling.

hi louise

mmm should have had its own camp at lincoln and it should next year too mmm members should not have to be in the general camping area and walk miles

meeting the team would be nice and a free cup of tea would go down a treat

talks about travelling to different parts of the world by motorhome ie russia africa usa even to spain for the winter would be a help

hope this helps

kevin and kath hawkins

Guest pelmetman
Clive - 2011-09-27 2:47 PM  How about a dedicated corner for those with mobility buggies where mains hookup to charge the buggies is provided? (To reduce the number of generators running all over the camping grounds)
Good idea Clive:D

Archived