Trailer box - manufacturer ?

flicka

Help needed please - to find a manufacturer who can produce a GRP or Aluminium Box to fit a Trailer.

My wife has an new Electric Wheelchair, which although it will split into components takes up a lot of room in the Motorhome.

We are looking at the Easy Lifter's "Hydra Trail" trailer to transport in on.

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm

I've spoken to Easy Lifter they say they can fit a wider platform to accomodate the wheelchair, but they don't do any container / box.

We don't want a "tarpaulin" type cover as the Wheelchair Insurance requires that it is locked inside overnight.

I thought it would be a simple excersice to find a "Box" manufacturer, but many are not interested, (so much for business being poor >:-( )

The Hydra Trail is attractive to us, as it minimises storage space required when not in use & I envisage it can be left attached to the M/H on pitches.

Too late to edit my O/T

What I am trying to achieve can be seen on the website for "Space Extender "Carry"" a variant of the "Space Extender "Living" shown in October MMM page 208.

http://www.spaceextender.com/Englisch/Bilder/bilder.html

& scroll down for the Carry variant.

But have to say I am not impressed by the Space Extender coupling arrangement. :-S

Congratulations Jon, you managed to find a website even slower than this one :-) . I'd suggest you try small fabrication companies as I'd build an aluminium angle framework and infill the sides with sheet material, you can get sheets of grp that you just cut to size then you could rivet and bond with Sikaflex (other adhesives are available) . If you have no joy with this give me a call.

D.

Have a look at CVR's website. They'll make you grp laminated panels in any size and of any configuration you want. Sikaflex them together and bob in a door or two from Transport Windows and you're away. You can see a bit more detail from my website - there are also links from there to other companies you may find helpful.

Or get Dave to do it.

Flicka(Jon?)..Have you got anyone local who carries out any "coachwork" or horsebox construction?..as I would've thought they'd have the necessary skills and materials etc...

Having said that,rather than adapting an "easylifter",could you not just look at getting a small box trailer(..or having one made)?...

..or is storing it when not in use,an issue..?

pepe63 - 2011-09-23 10:37 AM

Flicka(Jon?)..Have you got anyone local who carries out any "coachwork" or horsebox construction?..as I would've thought they'd have the necessary skills and materials etc...

Having said that,rather than adapting an "easylifter",could you not just look at getting a small box trailer(..or having one made)?...

..or is storing it when not in use,an issue..?

Hi Pepe

I've tried a few local Sheet metal bashers & a GRP fabricator + a couple of "normal" Trailer manufacturers, all showed No interest whatsoever in a one off job. I could understand it with the GRP fabricator as the mould costs would be disprportionate to total cost, but I was thinking it would be a reasonably easy job for a tin basher.

Regarding a standard "Box / Van Trailer", there are 4 or 5 on the market which would be suitable, but I prefer the idea of a non-articulating trailer which gives minimal length behind the M/H and can concentrate on width rather than length.

Hi Crinklystarfish

Thanks for your link, currently looking at the CVR website.

Your comment (on your website) regarding Google sketchup - looks interesting - must have a go with that.

nb going to the "web links" on your website takes me through to "Google bookmarks".is that right ? I expected some hyperlinked sites.!!!!

Ours is a Box Trailer, manufactured by Indespension, but bought from Heathrow Airport surplus to requirements. It is GRP with metal angles, double door at the rear and lockable. It is about 2m long (without A Frame) 1.90m high and 1.20m wide. It was plated at 750kgs but we have had it downplated to 495kgs so that we don't have to register it in France. Have a look at the Indespension website.

Hi Flicka,

How about a conventional trailer with a locking cover?

I've just looked on Halfords website and they list lockable covers for a lot of their trailers. Have a look at this [urpl=http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_268459_langId_-1_categoryId_165734]Link[/url] for example.

HTH,

Keith.

If you are considering a box trailer why not take a look at Anssems (Dutch made)?

They do quite a selection including fully enclosed with a drop-down tailgate and lid.

I can confirm they are well constructed in double skin aluminium with an Al-ko chassis and are fully watertight.

Lid also takes luggage, roof bars, bike rack etc.

http://www.anssems.eu/en/bedrijfsinfo.html

flicka - 2011-09-23 12:12 PMHi CrinklystarfishThanks for your link, currently looking at the CVR website.Your comment (on your website) regarding Google sketchup - looks interesting - must have a go with that.nb going to the "web links" on your website takes me through to "Google bookmarks".is that right ? I expected some hyperlinked sites.!!!!

No probs, glad to pass CVR on, they also sell all the extrusions you need to fasten panels together. Many are of the 'revolutionary' alu-tec design where there's no need for screws thorugh the bodywork. Anyway, if you have a faff about with their pdf download you'll work stuff out. 

Sketchup is pretty handy and easy to work out. There's a ton of tutorial stuff on YouTube too. The links from my site are maintained in a Google List for ease of admin. You should see a list of companies etc in the list and can hyperlink to them from there. I'll check it's working later.

Anyway, good luck with it. I reckon that if you went the CVR route, once you had the panels in your possesion, you could put it together in a weekend.

Or what about a suitable roof box? You could easily beef them up (base and lock wise) to meet the requirements for safety/security. These are just some examples:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/340L-Roofbox-/330615995404?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item4cfa3fbc0c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROOF-BOX-AND-ROOF-RAILS-/170699153365?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item27be765fd5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-HALFORDS-ROOFBOX-/200653866048?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item2eb7e70440

Without knowing the dimensions of the box you need I can't find anything of the right size so if you can provide them I'll do a bit of Googling for you if you want.

Stop-press ... this one looks interesting ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roof-Box-/330615994911?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item4cfa3fba1f

Guest pelmetman
Just jumping on your bandwagon John:D............If anybody wants a 2 year old "Blueline" 1500kg box trailer, I have one available for half the new price;-)............One careful Pelmetman owner:D 

Sort of going down the same route, but for different reasons.

I thought of making an add-on top from ply (with internal struting and fixings to the trailer). A sort of up turned square boat hull !

Then using a deep trailer cover to make it more waterproof. The cost of the cover is more than the ply n stuff !

Rgds

Archived