A Frame fines

hymer1942

Guest 1footinthegrave
And so it rumbles on...................perhaps the Spanish police should be sent a link, or one could print out the entire thread and show them if stopped,simple 8-) :-S

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because Barrie's original posting focused specifically on Spain, no attention has been given to other non-UK 'European' countries where A-framers can (and almost certainly do) travel.

What's the chance of being prosecuted in France, Portugal, Italy, etc - that very likely have similar 'emergency-only' regulations? How about in Germany, where (based on forum comments) received wisdom seems to be that A-framing is 100% verboten?

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-17 8:41 AM

I came across the following webpage by chance:

http://motorhomefaqs.freeforum.me.uk/t1613-note-on-a-frames-and-dollies-issued-by-the-department-for-transport

It includes a multi-lingual copy of the A-frame-related note by Mr Alan Mendelson (Department for Transport) that might be handy for people A-framing abroad. ............................

Don't want to spoil anyone's fun, but trying to rely on the French translation to convey what Mendelson says is liable to cause at least some confusion. I haven't tried reading the lot, but on a quick skim noted that it consistently translates trailer as "bas-de-page" instead of "remorque". Well, I'll go to the foot of our page! :-) Don't have enough of the other languages to try the same approach, but it seems to have been fed into a fallible, though actually quite good, automated translator, and appears to have run up against limits of the translator's technical vocabulary. Well intentioned but, sadly, unlikely to be a lot of help to anyone in need!

Brian Kirby - 2011-11-17 4:46 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-17 8:41 AM

I came across the following webpage by chance:

http://motorhomefaqs.freeforum.me.uk/t1613-note-on-a-frames-and-dollies-issued-by-the-department-for-transport

It includes a multi-lingual copy of the A-frame-related note by Mr Alan Mendelson (Department for Transport) that might be handy for people A-framing abroad. ............................

Don't want to spoil anyone's fun, but trying to rely on the French translation to convey what Mendelson says is liable to cause at least some confusion. I haven't tried reading the lot, but on a quick skim noted that it consistently translates trailer as "bas-de-page" instead of "remorque". Well, I'll go to the foot of our page! :-) Don't have enough of the other languages to try the same approach, but it seems to have been fed into a fallible, though actually quite good, automated translator, and appears to have run up against limits of the translator's technical vocabulary. Well intentioned but, sadly, unlikely to be a lot of help to anyone in need!

Can't say I looked at the translations as I'd found another A-frame-related (expletive-riddled) piece that made me smile. (GOOGLE-ing on "passionford 6 points" will pick it up.) This is what we need on the O&AL forums - anything goes and b*gger the blushes!

Enjoyed that, Derek! :-) Makes you wonder whatever happened to this superb education system we are supposed to have, that will enable us to out-compete the Indians and the Chinese, as well as the whole of Europe! Is there hope? Although, oddly, I noticed most of the Anglo-Saxon was correctly spelt. :-D

tonyishuk - 2011-11-17 7:42 PM

Good read !

One thought though !

If I towed it for a "mate" (Either Dolly, A frame or Trailer) and get a pint of best as a reward, I assume I would have to have a tachograph in the cab ?

Whole new can of worms there !

Rgds

No law against recompense for expenses, just not making a profit or living IIRC.

...Whole new can of worms there !

Rgds

Although it's a very hypothetical scenario, it would seem that a motorcaravanner could SORN the 'toad' (I'm really getting into this A-framer lingo!) and let the car's insurance and MOT lapse but still tow the car legally behind his/her motorhome in the UK, as, when the toad is being towed it's no longer a 'car' but a 'trailer', and a trailer doesn't legally require tax, MOT or insurance.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-18 9:18 AM

...Whole new can of worms there !

Rgds

Although it's a very hypothetical scenario, it would seem that a motorcaravanner could SORN the 'toad' (I'm really getting into this A-framer lingo!) and let the car's insurance and MOT lapse but still tow the car legally behind his/her motorhome in the UK, as, when the toad is being towed it's no longer a 'car' but a 'trailer', and a trailer doesn't legally require tax, MOT or insurance.

Nice one, Derek but as soon as you unhitch you would be unable to use the 'toad' (see, we're all getting it now!) for the reason it was transported - 'toading' off on your own, minus van.

Still, interesting take on our quaint laws.

Archived