French Autoroute tolls on Sundays

monty

Recently returned from France and the last leg from Amiens to Calais was on a Sunday. I noticed that the Peage charge flashed up as Class 1 whereas I am usually a class 2.

Does anyone know if this was a mistake or is it that they only charge you class 1 rates on a Sunday?

If the latter then I will be changing my driving habits to make the most of the savings.

Apparently the south part of the A1 autoroute (which I suspect you were using) now has an on-Sundays (and on certain French 'bank hoidays') system that alters the peage rates (downwards or upwards) according to the time of day you travel. See

http://www.sanef.com/Autoroute-mode-d-emploi/Le-peage-en-toute-simplicite/Tarification

So, if you normally pay the Class 2 rate, if you travel on a Sunday on the part of the A1 to which the system applies, and from 1430 to 1630 or 2030 to 2330, you'll get a 25% reduction.

(See also the A14-related comment on the SANEF webpage.)

Derek,

Thanks for the reply - I will study the link that you posted to see if I can work it out.

I was on the A16 between Amiens & Calais, not the A1 and I started the journey at about 11am. The Sanef ticket states the "classe tarif" as 1 and the price from Amiens Sud to Boulogne as 10.28 +tax.

I have now noticed that the day before (Sat 03 Sept) I was charged Class 1 from Reims to St Quentin on the A26, but Class2 from Beaune Nord to Reims Nord. Typical - it was only the shorter trips that charged me as Class1!

The tckets do not mention any discount referred to on the SANEF website - so maybe it was just a mistake? ANy thoughts?

Archived