Broken Fiat Spare wheel carrier

Mrs Sea

Hi everyone

My husband tried to get the spare wheel out from under our Adria Twin. It was on a wind down cable mechanism suspended under the rear of the vehicle. After winding it down 3 inches, it seized and then something snapped inside the mechanism. With a struggle he eventually managed to get the spare wheel out to change the wheel. The van is 4 years old and the wheel had been removed a few times before without problem. It isn't possible to put the wheel back in - the cable is now removed. The replacement part is £250+ from Fiat..........!

Any ideas of an alternative method of attaching the spare to the chassis? We have seen a 'Spare Wheel Carrier' advertised in Camping and Caravanning magazine for £38.50 plus P&P £11.50. -

'No drilling required. Easy to fit. Fits all known chassis. Fully adjustable. Weighs 4kg. Slides out when needed. Zinc plate finish for protection.'

Has anyone any experience of this and is it any good or just cheap rubbish (the Fiat cable is just expensive rubbish!).

Am grateful for any ideas/suggestions. Many thanks.

Thanks to both of you. Hadn't considered it would be such a big problem. Have tried to read all the previous posts. I've been at it for hours!! So glad I asked before going to the dealers. I now feel much better informed. I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks too to all the folk who posted on the other threads.

Mrs Sea, it may be worth checking that Fiat have you on their database. My Adria Twin is the same age as yours and Fiat have written to me about the recall. As your carrier has broken, you should have no difficulty in arranging the new version to be fitted at no cost.

You could also contact a Fiat dealer of choice and give them your registration number. If you're on the Fiat system, the van should come up as being subject to this particular recall.

Shaun

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everyone. Having been tipped off through this forum I contacted our local Fiat dealer to say I understood there was a recall and quoted him the information. He knew nothing about it but rang me back to say I was correct and booked my van in for repair. That night I got home to find a letter from Fiat asking me to contact my local dealer for a safety recall.....

The broken wheel carrier is now fixed, at no cost, - shame they had to spoil it by giving the van a 'free health check' and finding I need over £800 worth of work done.............. (not actually the case - who's leg are they trying to pull). I suppose they are just trying to make some money out of me....

So thanks one and all. Seems like Fiat have actually got round to admitting fault here. Glad I didn't just go and get it fixed when it happened a few months ago or I'd have been sick as a dog now!

Archived