Wheel clamp

hallii

Is there a decent wheel clamp that is oxy acetylene resistant that will fit a motorhome?

NB Oxy acetylene is now the usual method of removing most security clamps/devices and most "scrap men" that plague our road on a daily basis have access to it. I have watched them eye up my pride and joy as they drive past in their uninsured vans that are registered to a false address.

I need to make it obvious that it will be a bit more difficult to steal.

H

Stainless Steel might take longer to cut with Oxy. They will still get through it but they will have a few bad burns attempting it as it is messy stuff and will just melt and fly about a bit. It will possibly burst the tyre as well.

It is possible to get motion detectors that clip to the wing mirrors to protect the sides of the van. I was going to fit these myself but could not find the website where I first saw them.

Hi Hallii,

We use a Bulldog Centaur Adjustable CA2000C clamp when we park on our front drive as we live on a main road and like you want it to be obvious to any 'passing trade'.

We bought ours over 3 years ago so can't offer any help on where to buy from, but I'm sure Google (or similar) will help.

Keith.

PS There is a full listing of tyre sizes that it will fit as a download on the link I've added.

Thank you for your input guys.

Sadly it appears that not one of the wheel clamps on sale is gas axe resistant. Some have made half hearted attempts by filling the arms with concrete, others make claims but when emailed don't reply.

The JSB Hubclamp which only fits caravans is designed to be gas axe resistant but even they didn't reply to my enquiry.

So, any one out there fancy making one? Laser cut stainless steel with stainless and hardened steel sandwich for the arms, cylinder lock and built like a tank.

There could be some money to be made, pity I am retired or I would have a go.

For those who are not familiar with the effiency of a gas axe see here -

Makes the average wheel clamp look a bit vunerable?

H

If you sleep near where your motorhome is parked do what we have done and install a security light that will also sound an alarm in your bedroom when it is activated by an intruder. I forget where we got ours but it was from one of the sheds and was not expensive. The alarm simply plugs into any mains socket in your house. We have ours on timer so that it is not continuously going off all day. Best money we have spent for a long time!

Guest pelmetman
I was going to suggest an infra red beam thingy across the entrance to your drive, the farmers use them a lot around here, it sets of an alarm in the house when someone crosses the beam:D

Colin Leake - 2011-09-30 12:01 PM

If you sleep near where your motorhome is parked do what we have done and install a security light that will also sound an alarm in your bedroom when it is activated by an intruder. I forget where we got ours but it was from one of the sheds and was not expensive. The alarm simply plugs into any mains socket in your house. We have ours on timer so that it is not continuously going off all day. Best money we have spent for a long time!

I have one as well. It also has a 3 pin plug so that you can fit a bedside light which will also illuminate when the alarm is triggered. It is an addition to make the miscreants think you are at home and have woken up. We use it to cover the cars when we are away in the van. Also, when we are away, apart from the usual timers on lights in the house, I fitted an extra one which lights up a small table lamp at 2 am and 4 am (just to be on the safe side) . :D I do not know why I bother as there is virtually no crime round here but its sods law that I am wary of.

I have though about those devices, but, what about when Mr Fox comes calling (as he does every night, sometimes with a couple of others in tow) or the cats, or just ordinary callers (the lad that delivers the newspaper well before I rise).

I would be a nervous wreck inside a week!

H

747 - 2011-09-30 2:12 PM

Colin Leake - 2011-09-30 12:01 PM

I have one as well. It also has a 3 pin plug so that you can fit a bedside light which will also illuminate when the alarm is triggered. It is an addition to make the miscreants think you are at home and have woken up. We use it to cover the cars when we are away in the van. Also, when we are away, apart from the usual timers on lights in the house, I fitted an extra one which lights up a small table lamp at 2 am and 4 am (just to be on the safe side) . :D I do not know why I bother as there is virtually no crime round here but its sods law that I am wary of.

Doesn't the 'Milenco' heavy duty wheelclamp have the vulnerable 'arms' filled with concrete ?

I would have thought filling the arms with packed sodium chlorate and sugar would be a better solution >:-) on second thoughts the explosion might not be covered by your insurance. Ray

Rayjsj - 2011-10-01 10:01 AM

Doesn't the 'Milenco' heavy duty wheelclamp have the vulnerable 'arms' filled with concrete ?

I would have thought filling the arms with packed sodium chlorate and sugar would be a better solution >:-) on second thoughts the explosion might not be covered by your insurance. Ray

You are right Ray, the "Milenco" has concrete in the arms to try and stop attack from, I think, angle grinders. The concrete might work a bit for oxy cutting, but as I remember we used to burn holes through 12" reinforced concrete with oxy without any trouble! Stainless, copper, ceramics and some others are the way to go, hopefully the manufacturers are reading this as I write!

I was thinking more along the lines of filling the arms with Carbon Tetra Chloride, it breaks down nicely into Phosgene at cutting temperatures!

H

You could think of using a Disklok on the steering wheel. Nothing is infallible but they are generally held to be much more difficult to remove than most wheel clamps. If you do go that way make sure you get one that will fit the larger steering wheel in your motorhome rather than one designed for a car.

hallii - 2011-10-01 2:44 PM

Rayjsj - 2011-10-01 10:01 AM

You are right Ray, the "Milenco" has concrete in the arms to try and stop attack from, I think, angle grinders. The concrete might work a bit for oxy cutting, but as I remember we used to burn holes through 12" reinforced concrete with oxy without any trouble! Stainless, copper, ceramics and some others are the way to go, hopefully the manufacturers are reading this as I write!

I was thinking more along the lines of filling the arms with Carbon Tetra Chloride, it breaks down nicely into Phosgene at cutting temperatures!

H

You are right, carbon tet, is the way to go (you'd have to stop it evaporating though), that way the van doesn't get Spattered with ' Toe-rag' . And of course with my version there was always the danger that the small IED might set off the Acetylene and or the oxygen cylinders, then there would just be a large crater where the Motorhome used to sit.

Plus there would be one less 'Breadwinner' at the local traveller site. Shame ! ;-) Ray

Colin Leake - 2011-10-01 3:40 PM

You could think of using a Disklok on the steering wheel. Nothing is infallible but they are generally held to be much more difficult to remove than most wheel clamps. If you do go that way make sure you get one that will fit the larger steering wheel in your motorhome rather than one designed for a car.

The disclok is a well made piece of kit and I have used one in the past. The trouble is the toerags tend to cut the wheel clamps off (if fitted) and then simply use a winch to drag the vehicle up onto a recovery truck and away.

They don't bother with the handbrake or if it's in gear the winch will drag it up on the flat back anyway. They can then spend as long as they want removing any extra security and by-passing the imobiliser etc. at their private place free from police interference.

A motorhome on a breakdown truck is not likely to attract much attention.

It is also the way some caravans and expensive cars are taken.

They don't stay long in this country, and many are stolen to order.

H

Archived