Retro fit external locker door..advice/opinions..?

pepe63xnotuse

Hi all..

I've been toying with the idea of fitting an external door,which would access the space in the under seat compartment on our Chausson Allegro 83..

Currently the space is taken up with a large draw..and if I'm honest,it's something that has "bugged" me ever since we bought the van,as it makes so much more sense for it to be external storage(..as I believe it is on the similar but Fiat based,85)...

Now obviously in an ideal situation this locker door would be identical "in style" to the existing gas locker and rear locker door(..white aluminium,radius framed),however having scoured the internet(O'Learys/Magnum/Cak tanks etc),I haven't come across doors "exactly" the same..similar,yes..but not the same...(..I havn't bothered with contacting any "main dealers" due to the probable costs and time delays involved! *-) )

So what I'm thinking now is,rather than have something which is "nearly" the same(..but still quite obviously "odd"..),maybe I should look at the type that,although nowhere near the original,may actually suit the panel it will be fitted into(..seeing as it would be below a "square" offside window and quite close to the two large retangular fridge vents...

Something along these lines....

http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/details/17573.html

http://www.caravanpartsaccessories.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-800-new-locker-door-with-lcok-keys-p-430.html

..I suppose what I'm asking is,to the eyes of possible "future buyers"..which would look the best?...

Here's a side-on photo of our van,so you can see what I'm prattlin' on about... ;-)

Thanks for any thoughts/views...

663834596_P8190005(640x480).jpg.a186e6a501288aa65590b7156c1b802d.jpg

An acquaintance has something called a Beeny Box, which was very nicely made. This firm cuts out a section of your side panel and then uses it as the front of a slide-out box.

Now I understand that you don't want a box but the same principle may well apply. They may be able to cut out a section of wall, edge it with waterproof seals and hinge it so it forms a door. Apart from the edging of the door, the side panel remains the same as it was originally.

Hi Pepe63

Having looked at your motorhome picture and the two links, I think the first one will be the better buy as it is all white, including the locks and athesetically it will blend in better. I also noticed it was the dearest, sorry !

Will be interesting to see what the others think. :-D

Thanks for the replies... ;-)

Beenyboxes were something I looked at with our previous van..however,in this case the space I want to access/use,is actually inside the van,beneath the offside settee(...with the locker door being forward of the hab' door and in a way, "mirroring" the lower fridge vent..).

I agree that the Thetford(..the more expensive ones),would probably be a better option(..as there's not much point in trying to save just a few quid..as it's only going to fitted once...).

However,having said that,I'm still a little dubious about introducing a different "type" of "white plastic" to the side of the vehicle,especially as we know they tend to fade/discolour(..and it will therefore be doing it at a different rate to any existing fixtures).

I definately think I'd need to actually see these locker door and possibly "offer them up" to the van wall,to see how they'd look... ;-)

Thanks again...

Edit: sorry,missed your post aultymer...yes,I take your point(...my original "trade" was as a commercial vehicle body & coach builder..) but I suppose my "concern" is,no matter how well it's fitted..will it always look..well..just odd..?? :-S

(...Maybe the fact that I've been thinking about this for a couple of years..and STILL haven't been fully convinced enough to do it..is answering my own question? ;-) )

I didn't suggest that you actually have a Beeny Box but that you consider using their expertise to cut an aperture in your wall and using that piece, make a door, as they do when they construct a Beeny Box.

This way you use the same material as the rest of the wall and even decals remain in place, albeit with a rim around the edge of the door.

There is then no danger of different shading etc.

If it can be done it would be a certain way of ensuring a perfect match between the new door and the rest of the wall.

Hi Pepe

IMO you need to have a look at the Locker Door Frame to see if it matches your existing ones.

Not sure which maker Chausson use,but those I have seen at O'Leary's & Magnum do match the likes of Autotrail (part of the Trigano - same as |Chausson), Swift, Autocruise, Autosleeper and many others.

They also have the same surface texture as the Thetford Loo Locker frame.

Hi flicka..

Yeah,the locker doors fitted on our Chausson,aren't the usual "DIYer friendly" design(..with the 30-40mm surrounding lip,with umpteen screw points..).Instead they're a smooth,radiused aluminium extrusion..

...I'll try and stick a photie on...

There you go(..although it's not very clear..)

(..Although,as my posts have probably hinted at earlier..I think I'm probably of the opinion.."if in doubt..don't".. :-S )

555329559_P8190005(426x335)(350x275).jpg.1d1ad293360214f5ddbf36d1db20841e.jpg

As possibly a dumb answer how about using a gas locker door the same as you have? That would obviously be factory made and match what you have. Remove the gas sticker of course and the piece of side wall cut out can be inserted into the door so it all blends in. I accept I may be missing someting obvious here.

No..not a daft question at all..

...Unfortunately neither of the two existing locker doors,would be the right size..as they're both too tall..

(..so a simple "..can I have another one o' them please..?" request ,isn't an option ;-)

..that's not to say that Chausson don't use a suitably sized door on another model in their range..it's just I haven't,as of yet,bothered setting off down the torturous routes,involving "main dealers" etc... :-D

(So..it's looking as though the general view is that unless it is an identical item to the existing lockers doors,then it should be left well alone.. :$ )

Isn't there an 'odd' locker on the 'van anyway in the form of the ubiquitous Theford cassette door? If so, using a Thetford frame will at least keep that theme running. If you can't keep that theme then I'd personally leave it well alone. An odd frame will clearly always bug you and it would put me off if I were considering purchase.

Examples of stuff on ebay:

No 1

No 2

No 3

Just put in the search 'Locker Door', select 'Vehicle Parts & Accessories', then 'Motorhome Parts & Accessories' and you'll see a good selection, hopefully something will suffice for your needs!

The only question I have before you do the deed though is, apart from it 'annoying' you, what would you actually use it for seeing as you have a large locker in the rear for your bits and pieces .... :-S

Hi pepe63,

Trigano Services in France are the appointed company for supplying Chauson parts ( being part of the Trigano group) but it appears to be trade only . They have various locker door sizes available.

http://trigano-service.com/CLIENT/?menu=1&mode=3&id=3228

Tel: (France) +33 1 44 52 16 20

How you go about ordering I have no idea but suspect at least now you can identify a locker frame to match the others and get a part number. What I have not established is who makes the locker frame.

Thanks again everyone,for all your input and thoughts....

Yes,it's a pity that I'm not looking at fitting it on the N/S because as you say Crinkle',it could then just match up with the Thetford loo door...

Mel..yes you're right,we have got pretty good storage under the bed(access door at the rear)..but to be honest,I'd prefer it if the storage could be "better defined".(..if that makes sense? :-S )...to this end,if fitted,I'd use this second external locker for "outdoor/utility" type stuff (..ramps,leads,anti slip mats,wooded boards etc etc)...and in doing so leaving the main storage area,unclutered(and clean).

Thanks for that link Brambles ..Yep!..those are 'em ;-)

However, I do think you've all convinced me of something that I probably knew all along(..but just needed the hear it from someone else :$ )..and that is,IF one is going to be fitted,then it should be as "original equipment" (as from Brambles link) .

(Just approaching this storage "issue" from a different angle for a moment..I did even consider fitting an "underslung" gas tank,so as to free up the gas locker...but the costs involved didn't really add up for us).

Thanks again everyone... :-D

May I suggest that unless you are planning on keeping the MH until it dies the death then installing anything that is not actually a factory fitment will reduce its value very significantly. What may seem a good idea today may turn out to be a big money loser tomorrow.

I accept we all would like to make our outfits more user friendly, but draw a line if there is any doubt that what you plan may affect the resale value significantly. Somethimes it is better to live with what is just a relatively minor irritation.

Archived