New Traffic Rules in France 30th Sept.

casey

Hi all,

don`t know if anyone has read about the new speed limit

+ other restrictions for vehicles over 3.5t.

This is only in the poitou charentes region affecting the RN 10.

The new rules come into affect from tomorrow 30th sept.

you can read about it here; http://www.guide2poitoucharentes.com/news/544/Poitou-Charentes-Travel-New-Restrictions-on-RN10

casey.

casey - 2011-09-29 8:59 PM

Hi all,

don`t know if anyone has read about the new speed limit

+ other restrictions for vehicles over 3.5t.

This is only in the poitou charentes region affecting the RN 10.

The new rules come into affect from tomorrow 30th sept.

you can read about it here; http://www.guide2poitoucharentes.com/news/544/Poitou-Charentes-Travel-New-Restrictions-on-RN10

casey.

Do you have a link to the actual legislation?

From what I've (briefly) read this seems to relate to poids lourds (heavy goods vehicles) so may not apply to motorhomes.

Andy

As I am off to France in a fortnight, I had a look. This is the actual article and it does say ALL vehicles over 3.5t.

Poitou-Charentes Travel: New Restrictions on RN1029 September 2011

Description:

Heavy goods vehicles will be forced to slow down on the RN10 through Poitou-Charentes from tomorrow (Friday 30 September), as new restrictions come into effect.

All vehicles weighing over 3.5 tonnes will be restricted to a lower speed limit of 80km/h (50mph), and they will also be banned from overtaking. The new restrictions apply from 6am tomorrow morning in both the north and southbound directions, for the full 195km stretch between Poitiers and the south of Charente Maritime.

The new measures have been brought in to try and reduce the number of accidents on this busy stretch of carriageway.

Oh dear!

Sophie - 2011-09-30 3:15 PM

1st Para "Heavy Goods Vehicles"....

2nd Para "all vehicles"

Does 2 refer to one???

Needs clarification *-) (?)

I would think so Sophie, and don't overtake also. Wouldn't like to be the first to find out tho'

Some of the forum members live in that region, maybe they could clarify for us.

Dave

Tiny Tim - 2011-09-30 1:52 PM

As I am off to France in a fortnight, I had a look. This is the actual article and it does say ALL vehicles over 3.5t.

Poitou-Charentes Travel: New Restrictions on RN1029 September 2011

Description:

Heavy goods vehicles will be forced to slow down on the RN10 through Poitou-Charentes from tomorrow (Friday 30 September), as new restrictions come into effect.

All vehicles weighing over 3.5 tonnes will be restricted to a lower speed limit of 80km/h (50mph), and they will also be banned from overtaking. The new restrictions apply from 6am tomorrow morning in both the north and southbound directions, for the full 195km stretch between Poitiers and the south of Charente Maritime.

The new measures have been brought in to try and reduce the number of accidents on this busy stretch of carriageway.

Oh dear!

Yes, I read the article, and several others in French, on the same subject.

Unfortunately, journalists reports of legislation often do not accurately reflect the finer points of the actual legislation.

I've so far failed to find an on-line source for the new regulations, anyone else found it?

Andy

Andy_C - 2011-09-30 6:21 PM

Tiny Tim - 2011-09-30 3:40 PM

Interesting point, but my 4 tonne and a bit Sarasota is taxed as a Private Heavy Goods and so I am caught eitherway!

Tim

I don't think the UK VED class has much bearing on the applicable French speed limit.

Andy

You are probably right, but like you I would love to see the legislation.

Tim

Hi all,

sorry, i don`t have a link to the legislation, have a family member

who lives over there who told me about it. They will have a look

to see if they can find any, but it will be in french !!

Hope this doesn`t come across as scaremongering but forewarned etc

family say the cops are hot on this road.

casey.

Having read this:

http://www.sudouest.fr/2011/08/31/poitou-charentes-les-poids-lourds-bientot-limites-a-80-km-h-sur-la-rn-10-487122-813.php

I am convinced it's Goods Vehicles and not ALL vehicles which are affected by new legislation; particularly as the first para refers to "camions" (lorries) & subsequent comments refer to PL (Poids Lourds) which by definition is a Goods vehicle more than 3.5t (see http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poids_lourd)

My view anyway

Andy_C - 2011-09-30 6:21 PM

Tiny Tim - 2011-09-30 3:40 PM

Interesting point, but my 4 tonne and a bit Sarasota is taxed as a Private Heavy Goods and so I am caught eitherway!

Tim

I don't think the UK VED class has much bearing on the applicable French speed limit.

Andy

Andy, although it is a fine distinction between a 3.5 tonne and a larger motorhome, they do have separate speed limits and toll charges so they must have some system of picking out us heavyweights.

Archived