Rear bumper bar

ips

To protect the plastic moulding and to add some bling I am considering getting my S/S fabricator to knock up a S/S tubular bumper bar. Fixing is easy and it should look very cool. The question is, obviously it wont be CE marked therefore will I have to inform my insurer and could it make any diffrenece to the premium. ?

Guest JudgeMental
If you have a serious shunt could it not do more damage to van...as it would transfer impact directly to chassis...(presuming bar fixed to chassis) Yes I would think your insurance company would be very interested IF you have an accident and need to claim *-)

I'm not absolutely sure but I don't even think that MH towbars are covered by ant CE/type approved type malarky yet....

This is lifted from their website:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does EC Type approval apply to motorhomes?

Currently, EC Type approval is not in force on motorhome or RV towbars. However, we work to all EC 94/20 standards and our towbars leave the workshop with a weight stamp.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've had a Towtal bumper and towbar fitted to our van and although I did ring the insurance(Safeguard)to be honest,they didn't sound all that interested.(..I'm not even sure if they made a note of it..?)

Having said that, I'd certainly recommend informing them though(..and maybe even checking with them first).

I had considered such a thing myself at one point purely as protection for the flimsy abs stuff. Such SS work seems very popular amongst the VW T4 onwards and pick-up community so it's not like it's unprecedented. Given the climate though, I would personally ask this question directly of my insurers. You will almost certainly excite some pencil neck somewhere with such a daring addition!

Just as side issue...if it's going to be contructed beefy enough to take a *reasonable* nudge,just get them to caculate the weight of the materials they'll use...

(...as what ever it is, 20-30-40kg? ,*may* have an impact on your axle loading..)

Having said that,with folk having their cats' nicked from under their vans,I wonder how "tempting" a big chunk of stainless would be to the scumbag element..?

ips - 2011-09-30 9:29 AM

To protect the plastic moulding ...

You've already done your own risk assessment :D

You have percieved of a danger that you might reverse into something, or something might run into back of you. You are contemplating increasing the strengh of the rear of you mh to withstand such an occurance. This may change the risk to insurreres of payments to 3rd parties, so just tell them.

Hi ips

I seriously doubt if your insurance company will bat an eyelid ... but do tell them of your intentions before you go ahead and get them to confirm it is on their record just to be safe, even if this means you having to write in to them and getting an acknowledgement letter back.

As you've got the same van as me, payload and overloading the rear axle shouldn't be a problem. I also assume you might be tempted to fit a towball too, seeing as the chassis has already been extended nearly to the back of the 'van and the electrics are already installed, so I'd be very interested to hear how you get on.

:-D

We have a rear bar and it saved us from having an unusable vehicle when a very old frenchman rear ended us it broad daylight.  Previous owners put it on, it's not tubular but this shape ]. it just got rather twisted and the rear light array moulding had to be replaced, lights were OK.

I have heard of a motorhomer being refused cover because he fitted a bull bar. (couple of years ago on another forum)

The argument appeared to be based on the reduction of crumple zone effectivness and damage to the chassis rather than just plastic and tin in the event of a minor bump.

IIRC there are regs somewhere (construction and use?) which specify minimum radii for bits on the front of vehicles to reduce damage to the inevitable kid who tries to header the front.

Wouldn't consider it myself but then I have enough to worry about with an 'A' frame!

Yes, I believe there is a big issue with bull bars on the front of vehicles, for the reason you state as with one fitted hitting a pedestrian, even at a low speed, would cause considerable injury, but that's a completely different thing to a rear bar for which I'm not aware of any restriction at all at present.

I suppose that If insurance companies were to object to 'bling' bars on the back then we would have to remove tow bars as well - that would stop those pesky 'A' framers!

Begs the question though - if you are fitting a 'protective' bar, why not make it a towbar?

Then you may get some use from it even if no-one runs into your back.

Guest pelmetman
If your worried about reversing into something then reversing sensors are the cheaper lightweight alternative...............If your worried about someone running into you then perhaps a "T bar":D

Begs the question though - if you are fitting a 'protective' bar, why not make it a towbar?

Then you may get some use from it even if no-one runs into your back.

Good point however I dont intend to tow anything, and getting my fabricator to make one up will be way cheaper (couple of drinks should do it) :-D

We have one that was fitted by a previous owner, I think he might of intended towing as there are holes where a towball could be fitted, ours is very sturdy and has the fiama bike rack fitted on to it the whole thing has sturdy brackets fixed to the frame underneath, our first raction when seeing it at Timberland where we bought the van, was to tell them they could take it off :-S O.H was worried about weight! but anyway they hadnt taken it off when we collected van so we left it on! it has protected the van from scrapes a couple of times!! so its just as well we left it. We did have a Belguim camper on his hands and knees examining it when on the Mosel , he was impressed with it and said it had been well made :-) only thing is it does add to the weight and I am told to compensate when packing my clothes!!! >:-)

My one wont be that heavy, and my fabricator is a top welder so will defo be a good job.

Nice to hear that someone with similar has found it bebeficial. All I need now is to measure it properly and get it made.

• 2 weeks later...
ips - 2011-10-13 3:50 PM

My one wont be that heavy, and my fabricator is a top welder so will defo be a good job.

Nice to hear that someone with similar has found it bebeficial. All I need now is to measure it properly and get it made.

Have you had it done yet? :-S

Archived