water pump not stopping

mgain

help please, i have an elnagh motorhome, and the water pump is a fiamma SF126 type pump, when i tun the tap on i get water as normal, but when i turn the tap off the pump keeps going, and i have to turn it off on the control panel, i have had the pump off and checked there is no debris in there but it is still the same, anybody have any ideas please,i am in the south of france near agde at the moment, so i would like to repair rather than wait till i get home, many thanks

If this happens when any of several taps are opened, then it suggests to me that there is a problem with a pressure sensitive switch in the system. This maybe needs a little adjustment. These switches are sometimes integral with the pump, and sometimes come as a separate unit. Instruction book from the 'van builders or pump manufacture?

Neil B

We used to find this problem in yachty pressurised systems.

Sorry I have not come across that particular pump and am assuming it is controlled by a pressure switch.

BUT

Could be caused by the pump drawing air through:- a porous pipe, a pipe with a pin hole leak,a poor joint between pump and tank, an accumulator with a leak, a pump gasket with a leak, a faulty pressure switch (which can be built into the pump) or a pressure leak!! ( somewhere hidden)

Testing pipes and joints on the suction side of a pump is a bu88er (on the pressure side you can see the leak!) but if you are getting air in the pipes or out of the taps then look harder for a suction leak.

Oh, and check there is water in the tank!

Sorry, just read the bit about it NOT having a pressure switch! In that case it will have micro switches on every tap and one of those switches is on, either through the switch being corroded and needing replaced or a tap (was it a shower tap last week?) being left a little bit on.

I thought they all did this, ours always carries on for a good few seconds after we turn the tap off.

Never really thought about it and just thought it to be normal. *-)

Can be a nuisance in the night when you flush the loo as it always seems to go on longer then but probably just me waiting for it to stop.

Mandy

Though it may have been an option, I thought all SF126 pumps were pressure-switched via a diaphragm operated switch at the "water" end of the pump.

I certainly had similar problems with the same pump in a previous 'van, particularly after the system hadn't been used for some time.

If there is such a switch on the end of the pump, the pressure at which the switch operates (for either on or off) can be adjusted by means of a screw on the end of the switch. (I can't remember which direction increases/decreases, but I believe it is marked adjacent to the screw).

The secret is to turn the screw in the appropriate direction until the pump switches off (though if it is turned too far, it will subsequently not switch on again when the tap opens - the art is to find the "centre" adjustment point where it will both switch on and off as appropriate).

(Fiamma sold a head upgrade kit for the pump to upgade it to the later version, which rather implied to me at the time that the SF126 switching was not as good as it should be)

mgain - 2011-09-30 8:23 PM

as far as i can see there are no pressure switches in the system, it goes from the pump to an accumulator tank ,then direct to the taps, even with the taps tured of, the pump keeps going

If you have an accumulator tank you must have a pressure switch as the tank is not needed with a switched system. 30secs on Google confirmed the SF126 has a built in pressure switch so either the diaphragm has a hole in it or it just needs adjusting. When adjusting make sure it functions correctly over the full range of working voltage it is lightly to encounter i.e. 11 - 14.5v.

There is an upgrade kit available for £34 not sure what you get with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived