My change of circumstances

net-traveller

As some of you may know I was widowed late last year. I sold the van earlier this year.

I've just returned from a 3 week solo trip with car using hotels in europe, some 1600 miles. I've never driven on the wrong side before as I was always the navigator on our trips abroad. I found it very straightforward but I've decided that using hotels for other than a short break really isn't the way to go for me.

Financially I feel that keeping a car and van isn't feasible so I'd like to ask for thoughts on the following -

The vehicle would be used as a car for everyday business so would have to be of a rising roof style as car parking can be an issue.

It needs to be secure and for camping to be capable of holding warmth so double glazing perhaps.

I would like a separate toilet compartment with a sink but shower isn't necessary so something that I can sidle in and out of would be fine.

Fresh and waste water tanks not jerry cans.

2 burner hob without oven and/or grill.

A fridge not an ice box.

Side door + roll out awning.

Enough storage for 3 - 4 weeks at a stretch.

I appreciate that it's a big ask but I don't see why a single person should have to accept less than couples. It has been suggested to me that as a single person I wouldn't want an awning nor a separate WC. I don't see the logic behind that, if anything I would think that more security would be better.

Any thoughts and suggestions please.

Hi Julie and potentially welcome back to the fold,

If you are looking for a brand new 'van then have a look at Hillside Leisure.

A friend has just had a bespoke conversion made by them (on a LWB High roof Transporter) and the quality looks very good.

We also looked at their stand at the Malvern show ('cos our friends had just got their's and we hadn'd seen it yet :D ) and again where very impressed with the layouts and quality.

HTH,

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental

what about a VW camper? loads on ebay. Westphalia's probably the best IMO but not cheap (you dont mention budget) A friend has just bought a very nice VW van and is having it converted over the winter....There are lots of Mazda bongos around as well. You wont get a dedicated washroom with these size vans but they will accommodate a porta potty.

we had a VW Westphalia rising roof when kids were young and loved it! It had propex gas heating and porta potty hidden in seat box behind passenger seat. At last have a panel van again, and wish we had never heard of a coachbuilt!

Glad your thinking of coming back to motorhoming and I am sorry for your sad loss.

Have you thought about a VW California. That has a lift up roof (like a wedge) and can have an awning.

or there is this

http://www.marquismotorhomes.co.uk/used-Motorhomes/used-model/Properties/make-0/berths-0/price-0/model-0/fuel-0/type-EV,HT/order-0/per-20/page-2/modelno-13591

this one could be a bit long:

http://www.brownhills.co.uk/motorhomes/used/17424_Peugeot-Autosleeper-Stratford-2.2-HDI-/-100BHP--2200--used-motorhome.aspx?type=Used&photo=1

I am sorry for yoy loss but must congratulate you on your determination to continue. Depending on your requirements there are a lot of car derived vans with conversions which when fitted with an awning could give you what you want. Or look at some of the smaller coach builts like NuVenture.

Have you considered the 'Solo' clubs?

Hello Julie.

Do you want new or used. Don't know where you live but Leisuredrive have 4 outlets around the country, there maybe one close to you. I had reason to go to their place Nr Bolton 18months ago and was really impressed with their setup, politeness and quality. If I'm ever in the market again for the type of van you are after, then this company would be the first on my list to see. Just Google Leisuredrive and have a look.

Dave

We had a 2002 VW T4 for six and a half years which apart from not having a separate loo (there was a porta-potty) was a super vehicle and easy to park in an ordinary parking space. For over 2 years it was our only vehicle. Ours was a high top but a widower we knew had one with an elevating roof (Auto-Sleeper Trooper) and he found it ideal to use as a camper and an everyday vehicle. Some of the T4s (orT5s) have "lo-line" roofs which will fit under height barriers. Some of the Bilbo's vehicles have a loo and wash basin.

New T5 conversions (especially Auto-Sleepers) are VERY expensive but T4s should still have plenty of use left. We found it an economical vehicle and a great multi- use and everyday vehicle whilst being able tio live in it for up to 8 weeks at a time. Whilst not having double glazing we didn't find that a problem and used in in all months of the year in England. We found it a very cosy van.

Hope you find something to suit you and that you are able to return to "motorhoming".

(If you would like any further info regarding our experiences/views on such vehicles send me a pm.)

Best wishes

Thanks for the replies.

I'm now considering a day at the NEC next week. It'll give me the chance to look at the vans and the build quality so I can then make a short list of those I'd want to visit later which may involve travelling the length/breadth of the country.

For sure it's not going to be a quick decision.

VW T4 Westfalia California.

High Top roof, you can sleep up there and no bed to make up.

It has:-

Proper toilet, wardrobe, blown air heating, + 2 seats with seatbelts, 3 burner hob, fridge, drives like a car and is much better built than the new VW conversions. We sold ours, but before we did we spent ages looking for something as good. None of the new conversions came anywhere near.

We finished up with Hymer 522 but that would be to big for you.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x306/twoandaquarter/IMG_0034.jpg

H

Hi

The commonest omission on the majority of suggested vehicles is the lack of double glazed windows in the rear.

Except for the side door entry, the following all appear to meet your requirements.

Should be suitable for a single traveller.

Worth a look whilst at the Show, if only for comparison reasons.

http://www.nuventure.co.uk/

Have a look at the Rio

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Reviews/Motorhomes/Auto-Sleeper-Mezan-Low-Line/_ch1_rw105

http://www.freebornmotorhome.co.uk/new-motorhomes/romahome/4

Have a look at the R20/R25 or R40 range.

Best of luck with your search

Hi Julie

We are considering downsixing at some time, so that we can have the economies on just one vehicle, and our needs are that it can carry passengers and be easy to park.

We;ve just returned from France, and on the last night were parked next to a UK couple who had done just that. They bought a Reimo conversion, which had 4 travel seats, plus loo, on a VW base,with a rising roof, but could still get under the magic 2m barriers.

This might ne one altenrative for you to have a look at, or maybe a similar model from Bilbos, which on paper also look good.

Hi net-traveller if you decide on a van conversion then we are currently selling ours as we now want a slighter bigger one. It is easy to drive and fits in a standard parking bay. A firm in Bristol is selling it for us and the link is shown below. I wish you success in your search.

The manufacturer Horizons Unlimited are going to the NEC.

http://www.familytravelcentre.co.uk/motorhome-for-sale.php?mhId=3878C44C7E0B4ADE8025790B0043886B

Guest JudgeMental
Julie does not want a hightop but a rising roof model...It really does pay to read threads properly first (not that I often do *-) )

Guest Chloe MMM

Hi net-traveller,

Have you tried using our online Buyers Guide (also a printed version in the back of MMM each month)?

You can specify number of berths, layout etc and it'll bring up a list of vehicles that match your spec.

Give it a go, it might help.

Good luck in your search and we hope you enjoy the NEC show.

If the ability to get under height barriers is important to you, be careful with VW T5 rising-roof vans - unless they have lowered suspension (which is rare), they are very close to the 2-metre level, and I wouldn't risk trying to go under barriers, which might be bent. Therefore, if you can't go under the barrier safely, you might as well go for a high-top, and have extra space, and insulation (noise and heat).

Apart from the side door, (it has one in the rear), the Romahome R20 and 25 are nice, warm, cosy, and practical little vans, which would be worth checking out.

Hi

As someone with a raising roof VW here are some thoughts.

Windows: There are pros and cons with having the original glass windows. They are more secure, don't scratch and let in more light. At night they can be insulated with silver screens and, because the volume of a small camper is a lot less than a coachbuilt, when you are on a hook-up a small electric heater can provide background warmth. Obviously, double glazed units are better insulated and less prone to condensation. Much more heat will be lost through the roof, although I tend to drop mine at night because it's warmer and quiter.

Toilet compartment: There are a number of conversions with a toilet at the back. Some have a cassette toilet and some have a stand alone unit. The advantage of the cassette toilet is, obviously, that it's more ergonomic and it's easier to empty but the disadvantage is that it takes away a large volume of storage above the toilet which can be significant in a small camper. Having a separate sink will narrow your options - you could put a bowl in the kitchen sink. Rather than have a separate compartment you can then close of the whole of the rear of the camper with a curtain (even with a separate compartment a curtain is likely to be needed if you have an elevating roof).

Seating: Conversions with a rear washroom tend to use the front seats as part of the bed. As a result, the seats can be very high (leaving legs dangling) and have a long seat base. I would suggest you try a few and see if you are comfortable. With this layout you do tend to lose the feeling of space that you get with a traditional side kitchen layout. Some conversions replace the original manufacturer's front seats with "lay flat" seats but I wonder if these are as comfortable on a long drive, and whether the beds they make are as flat?

Roof: Some are easier to put up and down than others. Try them out to make sure that you are happy with the process.

Height: As someone else mentioned, the latest short wheelbase VWs tend to end up just over 2m high unless lowered suspension has been fitted. I believe some converters specify this as a matter of course.

Storage: It's all about organisation. I use "pack-it" cubes to good effect. One downside of the rear kitchen layout is that you lose the rear boot, which is brilliant for throwing bits and pieces like levelling ramps and chairs into. You also lose the area above the boot which is handy for taking the bedding during the day.

There a quite a few converters that can fulfill most of your requirements. My Bilbos is very well made and I would recommend their conversions to anyone but none of their conversions have double glazed windows. I'm sure there are plenty of other conversions with equally high quality.

Guest JudgeMental

My friends 2007 VW combi (just bought for conversion) has blacked out windows. you can see out but not in.

My new Adria has the same blacked out windows but they are proper double glassed units. This arrangement offers so much privacy but still allows plenty of light in, and a fantastic view looking out..You can sit up in bed with acup of tea watching all the comings and goings outside, while admiring the view, BUT no one can see you....

a separate wash room a waste of space for single people and a porta potty more then adequate

JudgeMental - 2011-10-09 12:15 PM

My friends 2007 VW combi (just bought for conversion) has blacked out windows. you can see out but not in.

My new Adria has the same blacked out windows but they are proper double glassed units. This arrangement offers so much privacy but still allows plenty of light in, and a fantastic view looking out..You can sit up in bed with acup of tea watching all the comings and goings outside, while admiring the view, BUT no one can see you....

... please tell me you do not do this in the nuddy Eddie ... also, just remember that if you don't close the blinds on a night and there is a light behind you, you'll be making 'shadow' patterns for all to see!!!! 8-) :$

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2011-10-09 6:28 PM

JudgeMental - 2011-10-09 12:15 PM

... please tell me you do not do this in the nuddy Eddie ... also, just remember that if you don't close the blinds on a night and there is a light behind you, you'll be making 'shadow' patterns for all to see!!!! 8-) :$

You wished! you likle stalker you.... :-D

The point I was trying to make a van has less privacy then a coachbuilt as windows lower..so with one way windows you can be dancing around in your skimpys and as long as cab curtains closed you are resonably private ..point taken re after dark...... ;-)

Been to the NEC today. Seems to me that the new model Nu-Venture Nu-Rio with side caravan door (rather than back door, as it seems that's your requirement - though we prefer the back door ourselves), might be just the ticket for you - only thing missing on the van from your spec seems to be an awning - didn't ask whether that would be available as an extra. Separate toilet, good beds, end kitchen with proper drainer, based on the medium sized Citroen Dispatch and price of £36K. Worth a dekko.

Went to NEC yesterday, wednesday.

Had a good look around and returned with some info which I will digest.

I also looked at (I'll wash my mouth out later) folding and pop-top caravans. We had both in the past.

The East Fife stand also had an interesting little caravan thingy so who knows.

I now need to decide how much I would use a camper as a camper. One thing I have learnt in the past few months is that I appear to have less spare time than I used to. 'Work expands to fit time available' perhaps or it's just that I have to do everything myself and it seems to take longer than twice the time of doing it together.

It's going to take me some time to weigh up the various pros and cons but I'll treat it as a project and go step by step.

;-)

Archived