Thermal Blind for the winter

scud24

Hi now that its getting near winter I am looking to buy a thermal blind for the cab in my motorhome..not sure what I should go for? internal fitting or external fitting and what make, any option would be welcome its got to fit a autosleeper Ravenna on a 2002 transit cab.

Hi Scud

External is the way to go, it will insulate better and you won't get a much condensation on the inside of the screen which internal blinds are notorious for.

I've found these on the O&A 'Buy & Sell', not sure if they are still availble, but worth a ring if they're near you.

Para-gon Silver Screens Insulation Kit to fit MK4 Transit Cab 2001 Onward, Used Once, Mint Condition complete with storage bag with instructions

£50 ono

Private Ad

Located in Kent area

Tel : 01622 882140

Its also worth having a browse on the Caravan Club site too:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/CaravanClubApps/Applications/caravan-classifieds/results.aspx

Hi Scud, I agree with Mel, external blinds are definitely the way to go. We looked on Ebay for a long while to get a set for our A Class and gave up. We eventually bought some from Taylormade. These are the cheapest and we used them early this year and are very pleased with them. We have found the fit to be perfect. Mr & Mrs Taylor are motorhomers so if you call them you may not get a reply straight away. The best place to find them is at a show where you can buy direct.

http://www.taylormade-covers.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

We have external Taylor made blinds. Useful even in summer for stopping the windscreen area getting to hot. (Parked of course, just in case someone suggests otherwise)

We still find the cab area quite cold on a cool night.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Taylormade FULL bottom skirt (not the over bonnet and down the front single skinned version)

The Full bottom skirt appears to be padded (as the screen cover is) around the doors. Seeing as the cab is metal, I was wondering how effective the skirts are at preventing heat loss.

Rgds

Hi Scud,

Now we're from the other camp, we only ever use internal screens in our MH and do not find it cold or suffer from condensation even when camping in sub-zero temps.

BUT, we always make sure to set the cab heater to 'recirc' before turning the engine off as this effectively blocks the heater intake and stops any draughts from the heater. I'm not sure if this works on a Transit but worth investigating.

Also how good are your door seals as even the smallest draught can feel very, very cold.

I like the fact that internal screens are always clean and dry to put away, unlike external which can be very wet or dirty at times :-( and where would you put them then?

Oh yes, and you don't need to go outside to take them off :-D

Ours are Vanconfort and came with the MH as an added bonus.

Keith.

We've stuck with internal blinds for the reasons Keith has stated and we've found them more than adequate for our "all-season" UK use..We do occasionally get a small amount of condensation but nothing that a quick wipe doesn't cure..

(..okay,if we were spending the winter parked up in northern europe then *maybe* we'd look a full,long external set..)

Keithl - 2011-10-04 8:53 PM

Now we're from the other camp, we only ever use internal screens in our MH and do not find it cold or suffer from condensation even when camping in sub-zero temps.

Keith.

I'm intrigued, how do you manage not to get any condensation? Do you keep your heating on all night? In all the 'vans we've had we've always had some condensation on the screen after a cold night.

The benefit of using external screens is that if you wish you can actually use them inside if you want by wedghing them up against the screen, so you have the best of both worlds.

Our Burstner was factory fitted with the internal blinds on the front and side windows of the cab, and we haev been very impressed with these.

however, for the winter use, we do supplement this with an external screen, which we have created from the Taylormade ones from our previous motorhome, and which we adapted to fit. So we now have the standard single external cover all round, plus the cab windscreeen externally insulated from the old internal one, velcroed underneath. We find this works well.

In the summer, when parked up (usually in France!) in baking heat, we just use the internal blinds, plus the single skin external ones and find this reduced the heat transmission into the cab very well.

Prior to this van, we always used internal insulated ones all year, but found considerable condensation in winter conditions.

Archived