New Camper - but very noisy!!!

Clementine

So exiting, after 6 years of being Camper-less we are now the proud owners of a second hand Trigano Tribute 650.

We have just fetched it and drove it home, but it is very noisy, it's sighing and squeaking and shuddering, ok the roads in Purbeck are not that good and have lots of pot holes What can we do to reduce the noise? Thank you in advance for advice.

You will slowly find most of the rattles and sqeaks and cure them with sponge rubber, paper tissues, sticky tape and so on.

Some you will never find, but they seem to fade away after a while. I don't mind the rattles and squeaks as I drive along, it's the sudden rifle shot sounds as I am just nodding off that get me!

H

This is on the 330 chassis, have found them to generaly be very good, being much less harsh than our 350H chassis, check the tyre pressures again the tyresafe data sheet. but it could just be the tribbies are noisy conversions

When we've had a new van,I always "tune out" any furniture rattles/sqweaks,by fitting something like this on any offending doors and/or draws:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floor-protector-felt-pads-pack-of-21/22872

(...they help take any slack out and cushion any rattles).

Also,I assume having just collected it,the van would've been empty?..once reloaded,you'll find that also makes a difference..

..but as has been said,also check your tyre pressures.

(...although goodluck with that can of worms.. ;-) )

Guest Peter James

When I drove a quiet car I found a single rattle or squeak would drive me round the bend.

Now I drive a camper van with 100 simultaneous rattles and squeaks I don't notice them at all. They just seem to dissapear into the general background noise.

So I think you need to create more rattles and squeaks until there are so many you don't notice them.

Your first job should be to identify where the rattles are coming from, our main rattle was from the oven top ie; panrest which I have cured by placing a sheet of bubble wrap underneath it and another under the lid now if it moves jumps about it is silent! then the grill I wrap a tea towel around the bottom of the pan and fold it inside the wire mesh that cures that! the next is in the drawer or flap that I keep pans in under the oven, I use another sheet of bubble wrap to fold around my big pan/steamer and the other things I have squares of the rubber roll that you can buy from £shops or Wilkinsons I cut squares so each piece is seperated! it does the job even though a bit annoying having to pack things properly when moving.

Basicly you have to stop anything that comes into contact with another item if you like a quiet drive :-)

Under the bed/seat area can be another place we use foam sticky strip along there, also it can be used to stop the shower door from sliding if you have one by just making it tighter.

Pack heavier items low down so they cant shoot out and damage anything when on the move!! and one area that we recently had a problem with! we have a pull out storage unit with shelves that I keep tins in :-S because it had a plastic stop for the shutting mechanism it had managed to jump out when we were travelling a bumpy road in France which I tried to deal with when O.H. was driving!! not to be recommended!! he modified that by removing the plastic and fitting a piece of metal for the lock to catch onto !! so fingers crossed it survived the 6 weeks battering this Summer so I hope that is cured.

that.

You will, once you have had a couple of trips out ,cured all of the most annoying bumps and rattles :-D I know I was quite shocked when we drove our M.H for the first time, having pulled a caravan for years oblivious to what is going on behind us, Happy travels you cant beat it just enjoy and dont stress everything else is far easier than pulling and setting up a caravan/tent .

Hi Clementine I have a tribute 665 3 months old its just about de-rattled one of the best things I did was to fit Drive-Rite air assisted suspension. My van was riding on the bump stops which made for a very hard ride. I dumped the bump stops and replaced with Drive-Rite and it made a world of diffrence.

I was at a Main dealers yesterday and had a quick look under a brand new Tribute 655 and it was sitting on the bump stops and there was nothind in it. Hope this may be of help. Cheers Mel

X250 doesn't have bump stops, it has suspension assiters, these are designed to work in conjunction with springs.

Two things rattle on our Globecar, the grill pan which we 'wrap' with tea towel, and window stays which we cured by 'rings' of elastic.

Archived