Fiat 3.0 engine 'hunting' on tickover.

Nigel

Hi there everyone, On my Rapido based on a fiat 3.0 2007. When i went to go away last week, i started it and left it on idle and it started to gently rev up and down at a steady and constant pace (what i would call hunting) and seemed to have a quiet whining noise as well. It seems to disapear after about 1500revs. When i arrived on site it seemed ok again but when i was at the service point on the way home it came on again after it was idling for a minute or so. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Hello Nigel,

I am absolutely sure that you have a faulty EGR solenoid valve.

When the engine is idling and you can hear the noise, open the bonnet and you will see a bracket about half way across the windscreen bulkhead. Behind this bracket is a solenoid valve which uses air pressure to control the exhaust gas recirculation device in the throttle body. Anyway.... There are two rubber pipes coming out of the back of this unit. Put your hand behind the bracket to the right hand side and gently wiggle the right hand pipe off the valve. This should cure the noise and restore smooth idling. You can leave the pipe off while you source a new valve from Fiat. It will not do any harm.

Nick

Well sorted out the problem, I had a look while at the garage for the mot and it turned out that that air pipe to the egr was split where it was pushed on. The whining/vibration was caused by the change in engine revs just enough to cause the metal sump to resonate. new piece of pipe fitted and good as new. I changed the short one as well as this one was showing signs of cracking. It looked like the pipe ends were a bit small for the fittings so were a bit stretched which i think caused their premature failure. I have fitted some gates hose now and all seems fine. :-D

Archived