Saving energy

JENIAN

Now the weather is cooling at vast speed towards winter as anyone any thoughts on conserving energy.

We have a conventional combi gas boiler, serviced every year. Double glazing, no cavity wall insulation as no cavites, roof insulated to max thickness. I have often thought about keeping the heating on for 24hrs at a low setting so the house does not cool down. Rooms we do not use have the radiators turned down low (thermostatic valves fitted to all Radiators). Any thoughts please.

Ian

We do all that and have also changed our heating thermostat to one that allows us to have different temperatures at different times of the day. i.e it goes up in the evening, lower in the day and then down even lower for the night. The temperatures are set slightly low and if we get uncomfortable we go to the stat and just increase it slightly. At the end of the period the stat automatically returns to the pre-programed levels.

What I can't do anything about is that in October 2010 we paid £400 for our oil while this month we paid £600 for the same quantity. 50% in exactly one year :-(

I can empthise with you over the oil prices we lived in the sticks for over 10yrs with an oilfired boiler. Many of our friends still use oil and basiclly the oil companies have all of us over a barrel (no pun intended).

Our gas fired combi boiler serves 8 rads + hot water but we have no room stat, only control is the thermostatic valves + the adjustment on the boiler. Been wondering if it's worth having a room stat similar to yours. We have the boiler serviced once a year etc etc.

Kind regards

Ian

Guest pelmetman

I would strongly advise you to think about investing in a log/multi fuel burner. Although the initial outlay is a fair sum it will soon pay for itself.

We never have to buy wood as friends are always happy to give it to us. Only this week friends have given us a Transit Van worth of free wood, why they don't use it themselves your guess is as good as ours.

We chose a flat topped stove which takes two kettles (for hot water) and two casseroles for cooking, the best thing we ever bought.  

Sue

we've got a combi condensing boiler with bulk Calor gas tank that costs us about £500 a year to fill up along with a log/multifuel burner in the lounge. The log burner really does help keep the fuel bills down. We have tsv's on all the rad's and a wireless programable room stat in the lounge, so when the log burner warms up the lounge enough the bouler is switched off by the room stat.

Archived