Discounts - New Motorhomes

daisymaisy

Hi all

Am looking to purchase my first new motorhome (many years an avid caravanner!) with no part exchange involved - Costs new have amazed me - so therefor am looking for best deals/discounts I can get.

Would appreciate any advice/hints/tips when negotiating with dealers for best price & what sort percentage (approx) one can expect

I understand that a good way to secure a fair discount (from new price) is to purchase a pre-registered "last years" model - which I am happy to do (providing the motorhome is unused & mileage is negligle)

Am considering Marquis (mainly for location) - but am willing to use whoever gives a good deal & service within reasonable distance of West Essex (am considering models from Elddis/Swift/Bailey)

Thanks - in advance of any guidance offered :-|

Hi daisymaisy

IMO -

Any "pre-registered demonstrator" should offer the best opportunity for a discount, but they will have mileage on the clock.

2nd best opportunity will be unregistered stock of 2010 or 2011 models, especially if you want to take delivery this year.

BUT if what the trade are saying is right, there are less "old" models on the forecourts.

Swift have dropped various models for the 2012 season, so any "previous" models should also give a reasonable opportunity for discounts.

I wouldn't expect much in the way of discount for the Bailey as it is brand new to the market, but still worth a try.

2012 models - have a look at the NEC Show to see what is being offered.

I won't indicate a discount in %age terms, there are too many variables - individual model appeal, dealerships looking to get cashflow to fund new model stock, manufacturer offer support, etc., etc..

But have a look through a recent MMM, to see what is current, there was one Dealer advertising " Prices that they would not allow us to publish" (or e.g. see October - "Bargain Hunter page 189) then try your prefered dealer to see if they can match -or get close enough to offset long journeys for Warranty / Service work.

Enjoy looking, resist the 1st offer & be prepared to walk away, if you don't feel happy with any deal, there's always another Motorhome out there that may just have your name on it.

As you may well know this is the best time of year to go buying next weeks NEC show will be a good starter with lots of show offers , look at what takes your fancy , then add say Bike Rack / Full Alarm / Solar Panel / then how much on road price . Whats your best price without trade in ? Then say well I have only £XXXXX available if you can do it for that I will give you a confirmed order and deposit if they will not budge just say thanks anyway we will see if we can do better with another dealer and get up and walk away , you will be supprised how quick a salesman will change his mind .This tactic worked twice for us and we got a cracking deal each time £5000 less than full up price.

Guest Chloe MMM

Hi daisymaisy,

If you buy MMM magazine, have a look at the monthly Bargain Hunter feature we do. In this feature we go to motorhome shows or search the internet for the best deals on motorhomes that month.

Most of the deals are on brand-new unregistered models and we always look for at least a £4,000 discount (sometimes we find as much as £12,000 off a model).

We find that the best places to find amazing deals are at shows (the Motorhome Show Season Finale, which takes place in Lincoln every September) is always good for a bargain - you'll find that dealers are trying to shift their older stock to make room for the next year's fleet of motorhomes.

Also, search on the internet, you'll often find that dealer websites will have a 'special offers' or 'manager specials' section with discounted stock.

Ex-demo models nearly always boast a fab discount, too - just ask about mileage and have a good look for any wear and tear.

Good luck in your search!

Chloe MMM - 2011-10-07 10:50 AM

...Ex-demo models nearly always boast a fab discount, too - just ask about mileage and have a good look for any wear and tear...

... and also ask about the warranties, as (assuming that the vehicle has been UK-registered) will already have partially expired.

My advice would be to buy from a Dealership that has a branch within Reasonable travelling distance from your home, don't be tempted by less than a £2000 differance, to buy a long distance away, you can spend nearly that on diesel, IF, you have problems (and many do !) and have to drive backwards and fowards.

I bought from Brownhills at a show ( August 2010), my nearest Branch was Swindon, all was fine until that Branch was closed down, JUST before my Vans annual service was due ! The nearest branch now is Newark which is over 200 miles away !! SO, in future ,I'll be very careful where I buy from.

(I should have realised as they had closed Cannock and Canterbury just the year before ! )

And Don't Believe the Dealers Advertising !! they HAVE been known to Exagerate !!! ;-) Ray

If you are prepared to widen your choice of models & buy in mainland Europe you will save at least 10 grand, if you must have RHD it's not a problem but delivery is a bit longer.

Our Belgium dealer is closer to us than the nearest UK dealer for our van and when we take it over the lower bills pay for the ferry & we get a nice long weekend in Belgium or France.

lennyhb - 2011-10-07 5:27 PM

If you are prepared to widen your choice of models & buy in mainland Europe you will save at least 10 grand, if you must have RHD it's not a problem but delivery is a bit longer.

Our Belgium dealer is closer to us than the nearest UK dealer for our van and when we take it over the lower bills pay for the ferry & we get a nice long weekend in Belgium or France.

As far as I'm aware, the only new RHD motorhomes obtainable from dealerships based in mainland Europe were HYMER vehicles. Do you know differently, please?

Guest 1footinthegrave
On our recent trip I was astonished to learn from, as odd as it sounds considering I'd never heard of it before from two different people we met on our wanderings with their shiny new vans, that you can get a zero rated new van if you or a member of your family is disabled. The van has to be adapted for use by the disabled person, and in both cases the folk only had to have an outside "D" handle fitted to be exempted, in one case saving the guy £10000 off his new van, and a saving of £12000 for the other guy. Bizarrely in the one case between ordering the vehicle and taking delivery the blokes Ma in law died ( the one who had the disability ) but the VAT people allowed the deal to go ahead as this event was after the initial order. I'm now thinking of knee capping the missus ! ! ;-) ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2011-10-09 11:35 AMOn our recent trip I was astonished to learn from, as odd as it sounds considering I'd never heard of it before from two different people we met on our wanderings with their shiny new vans, that you can get a zero rated new van if you or a member of your family is disabled. The van has to be adapted for use by the disabled person, and in both cases the folk only had to have an outside "D" handle fitted to be exempted, in one case saving the guy £10000 off his new van, and a saving of £12000 for the other guy. Bizarrely in the one case between ordering the vehicle and taking delivery the blokes Ma in law died ( the one who had the disability ) but the VAT people allowed the deal to go ahead as this event was after the initial order. I'm now thinking of knee capping the missus ! ! ;-) ;-)

No one will be able to save the VAT on a motorhome because they have the kind of disability that stops them walking to the shop and for which they may qualify for a Blue Badge.

One of the MH's main users would have to be severely disabled and usually wheelchair-dependent. If a dealer convinced you that you qualify, it is still you that has to sign the declaration form and should the IR decide that you don't qualify, they will demand repayment of the VAT from you, not the dealer, as it was you that signed the form.

Anyone contemplating avoiding VAT in this way must contact their local IR office and make absolutely certain that they will qualify, and the terms and conditions are extremely strict.

No one whose disability is such, that providing a grab handle would solve their problems, will qualify. 

Guest 1footinthegrave
I guess like most schemes scams happen, and I can assure you that neither of the vehicles had ANYTHING other that an external "D" handle fitted, I went to great lengths to establish that, no inside wheelchair clamp, or anything else that would be remotely be a specific adaptation for a wheelchair user. I'm sure there are genuine cases, but obviously to cook something up with a disabled family member being nominated as a user would not take much doing for the unscrupulous. :-S

Derek Uzzell - 2011-10-08 9:31 AM

lennyhb - 2011-10-07 5:27 PM

As far as I'm aware, the only new RHD motorhomes obtainable from dealerships based in mainland Europe were HYMER vehicles. Do you know differently, please?

Wasn't aware of that Derek I assumed as Hymer do it most would, considering half the German manufacturers are in the Hymer group.

francisgraham - 2011-10-09 12:13 PM
1footinthegrave - 2011-10-09 11:35 AMOn our recent trip I was astonished to learn from, as odd as it sounds considering I'd never heard of it before from two different people we met on our wanderings with their shiny new vans, that you can get a zero rated new van if you or a member of your family is disabled. The van has to be adapted for use by the disabled person, and in both cases the folk only had to have an outside "D" handle fitted to be exempted, in one case saving the guy £10000 off his new van, and a saving of £12000 for the other guy. Bizarrely in the one case between ordering the vehicle and taking delivery the blokes Ma in law died ( the one who had the disability ) but the VAT people allowed the deal to go ahead as this event was after the initial order. I'm now thinking of knee capping the missus ! ! ;-) ;-)

No one will be able to save the VAT on a motorhome because they have the kind of disability that stops them walking to the shop and for which they may qualify for a Blue Badge.

One of the MH's main users would have to be severely disabled and usually wheelchair-dependent. If a dealer convinced you that you qualify, it is still you that has to sign the declaration form and should the IR decide that you don't qualify, they will demand repayment of the VAT from you, not the dealer, as it was you that signed the form.

Anyone contemplating avoiding VAT in this way must contact their local IR office and make absolutely certain that they will qualify, and the terms and conditions are extremely strict.

No one whose disability is such, that providing a grab handle would solve their problems, will qualify. 
I would agree with the above, my wife is disabled with a blue badge, we looked into buying 'new' without paying VAT, but as she is partially mobile, NOT wheelchair bound we were not eligible (we were told by Dealers x 2) So, either, someone is telling 'porkies', WE were misled, OR there is a Fiddle going on ? we ended up with a very nice 'Low-line' Chassis, Autocruise Staburst 2005 (but we would have prefered a 'New' one, of course). Ray

Guest ChrisB

There are a number of misconceptions about vehicle conversions and zero rated VAT.

I have been purchasing adapted vehicles for over 25 years and the rules for eligibility in the mid 80’s were very strict (pre VAT with “purchase Tax” and “Car Tax”). A little simpler to understand now, but the key to adaptations is that they are “substantial and permanent”.

It’s not a “money saver” in the majority of cases. The cost of adapting my day vehicle for wheelchair access was in the order of £6000; VAT saving on the base vehicle was £3000.

The HMRC rules for zero rating goods (and services) are clearly set out below.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageImport_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000184&propertyType=document

Ramps/wheelchair restrains/occupant seatbelts would be sufficient, but in many instances lowered floors and internal modifications will also be necessary (expensive).

In the past some dealers have been telling “porkies” about requirements, but I had hoped such practices were no longer taking place. Desperate measures for desperate times?

In the past each vehicle would be inspected post conversion. Now it is nearly always left up to the converter to decide eligibility – but HMRC do check up and they have considerable powers.

We have purchased 2 Motorhomes @ Zero rated VAT & agree with Chris, the cost of additional requirements &/or adaptions usually equate to or exceed the VAT element.

The Blue Badge holding Disabled person does not have to be the Driver, but the point most people tend or choose to forget is that the Vehicle is designated for the Disabled User & use of it without the Disabled person present contravines the rules. (There is provision for a non-disabled Driver to take the vehicle to a garage for pre-booked servicing.)

This can result in a conviction & the LOSS of the Blue Badge for the holder, even though they were not in the vehicle. I haven't come across anyone having to subsequently having to pay the VAT, but AFAIA HMRC do have that course of action available to them.

So beware & don't flaunt the rules.

IIRC, HMRC do not check at time of order or even at time of delivery, but do check when the documentation is submitted post sale, by the dealer. By which time it is too late & if eligability is not allowed a fine for fraudulant submission & VAT bill, will be coming through your letter box.

Archived