Motorhoming with dogs

Guest Chloe MMM

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2011-10-11 3:22 PM  Yes some folk are responsible, but don't kid yourself for a minute that they are the majority.
Your right:D................. parents nowdays*-)

I think you are doing the kid a dis-service by underestimating the care and support that they need when they've been through the traumas that some of them do. Not everyone is able, or permitted, to take on the care of children from such organisations as Barnardos. It is a sad thing that these organisation are needed in the first place, but unfortunately they are. As for taking on dogs and not kids, whilst I am quite prepared to say they are my 'family', I am under no illusion that they are a real replacement for kids as that would be just stupid, but they are the closest we can get to them, so we make the most of it.

As for cleaning up, your experience is different to what we usually see/observe and we have on a couple of occasion had the need to proffer a bag to someone to clean up after their dog and they always have, but I admit not everyone does so. We don't like dog mess being left around any more than you do, but don't use this to 'abuse' people on here and suggest that some of us don't do so - you don't know us or what we do.

As for house-sitting and looking after people's dogs who's owners say their dogs are happier at home ... of course they would ... they don't want to have to take them with them to possibly cramp their style/spoil their own holiday by having to care for their dogs, and don't want to make themselves feel guilty by thinking that they may be depriving them by leaving them at home - if they are the sort of people that would put them in kennels, in cages or strap them down and drive in such a manner as they were unhappy (I'd be too if hubby drove like that!) then it sounds as if their dogs are definitely better off at home.

Our dogs have a lovely holiday and we take a lot of care to make sure they are happy, relaxed and contented, lots of breaks, walks, plays, treats ... they probably have a better holiday than we do!!! One of our dogs was badly abused for her first 12 months or life (physically and mentally) and then ended up in kennels up to the age of 18 months and was petrified of her own shadow ... even though she's a lot better now (at 8 years old) there's no way we could leave her at home when we go on holiday, she'd be a nervous wreck thinking we'd abandoned her regardless of who was at home with her. Being able to take our pooches on holiday was one of the reasons we actually got into motorhoming in the first place.

B-)

1footinthegrave - 2011-10-10 9:17 PM

The typical delusional reaction of a so called dog lover, they enjoy their holidays indeed. It's well documented that pigs have higher intellegence than dogs,don't see many of them on their hols, for Gods sake they are just animals. They see you as a feeding station, nothing more, nothing less. You in turn are quite happy to let them smear their unwiped backsides over your van and home furinshings, let them crap where others can step into it ( yes I know you clean up ) then no doubt when the time comes to sell your van advertise it as having had no pets or smokers in it.

Odd that I cannot take my 8 year old granddaughter to more and more campsites, but "dogs welcome is the norm", she neiother craps all over the place,or annoys with yelping and barking.

What a BITTER AND TWISTED Old F@rt. >:-(

maggyd - 2011-10-11 9:51 PM

1footinthegrave - 2011-10-10 9:17 PM

The typical delusional reaction of a so called dog lover, they enjoy their holidays indeed. It's well documented that pigs have higher intellegence than dogs,don't see many of them on their hols, for Gods sake they are just animals. They see you as a feeding station, nothing more, nothing less. You in turn are quite happy to let them smear their unwiped backsides over your van and home furinshings, let them crap where others can step into it ( yes I know you clean up ) then no doubt when the time comes to sell your van advertise it as having had no pets or smokers in it.

Odd that I cannot take my 8 year old granddaughter to more and more campsites, but "dogs welcome is the norm", she neiother craps all over the place,or annoys with yelping and barking.

What a BITTER AND TWISTED Old F@rt. >:-(

Yes, and think how 'Wound up' he must get when he chooses his 'perfect pitch', only to find he has 'Dog lovers' on either side of him, and that must be most (75%) of the time. Shame ! (lol)

Tell us where these 'sand dunes' close to you are, and we'll come down and clear the place up for you.

I can almost hear you saying ' I do not Beleeeive it' Ray. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

And you last two posters illustrate the point perfectly," BITTER and TWISTED old fart", why because I and many others object to dogs s**t all over the place then instead of apologies, or condemnation of this disgusting behaviour, verbal attacks are launched against you and that's a typical reaction. As for cleaning up our sand dunes, well thanks for the offer, but here's the thing but for some of you anti social morons it would not be there in the first place,but I'd be happy to supervise the clean up, you'll need a mighty big bucket and more than one though thanks to your dog lover pals who will no doubt tell you to a man they clean up, mind you that must be a challenge when your pooch has a dose of the runs though.

On a positive note more and more beaches, parks etc. public areas are banning dogs, ask yourself why that is, surely not because of responsible dog lovers.

No you arent the only one that objects to Dog Muck >:-( I also object I have had four children and I have ten grand-children, its your HOLLIER than Thou attitude I object to and condemming All Dogs and dog Owners.

I have no intention of explaining to YOU or anyone else Why I have dogs or why I take them on holiday with me !! you presumptious old begger . You couldnt answer the question that was asked !! so why did you feel you had the right to answer with an attack on anyone with a dog?? I know why and so does everyone else.

If anyone is still reading this thread after all the 'hate mail' can I ask for info on Vets and campsites.

I know this has often been discussed but most of the time the comments concern vets near the ports. We will be coming up from Spain to Calais via Rouen and would prefer not to have to spend 24 hours waiting around in the Calais area. I would rather spend the time traveling. Has anyone used a vet north of Rouen close to the motorway?

If you're near Valencia, you could use our vet. They'll post date the passport to fit the 24-48hr window.

Looks like they're sensibly (and logically) changing the rules in January to five days, so we'll be legal at last!!

So much sense having our dog treated for ticks and tapeworms before travelling through Spain/France without needlessly double dosing.

I haven't read all the way through this thread - lost the will to live halfway, so it's possible someone has already made this observation, namely that everyone who has posted on this thread is 'a responsible dog owner'. Are they really, or don't the true offenders visit this forum?

derek500 - 2011-10-12 5:21 PM

If you're near Valencia, you could use our vet. They'll post date the passport to fit the 24-48hr window.

Looks like they're sensibly (and logically) changing the rules in January to five days, so we'll be legal at last!!

So much sense having our dog treated for ticks and tapeworms before travelling through Spain/France without needlessly double dosing.

Thanks Derek, very helpful. Yes we will be down South of Valencia ( Oliva) so that may be an option. Would you be kind enough to pm the details, probably better not to name the helpful Vet in public. Also my Spanish is somewhat better than my French.

stantheman - 2011-10-12 5:34 PM

I haven't read all the way through this thread - lost the will to live halfway, so it's possible someone has already made this observation, namely that everyone who has posted on this thread is 'a responsible dog owner'. Are they really, or don't the true offenders visit this forum?

I suspect that the vast majority of dog owning motorhomers are responsible owners. As for those who aren't, who do leave poop unscooped, I wonder where they are because I haven't come across much if any of their leavings on the sites or in the towns I've visited recently.

Guest pelmetman
I dare say the number of presumed:D doggy bags have been increased by the number of parents who chuck out their nappy bags.........So maybe DNA testing is the best option(lol)

Archived