Truma Water heating problem

tommo29

My Truma 6002 EH will not heat water in electric mode. All lights are on green on the top and yellow on the bottom. Will not work on 900 or 1800 watt settings, works fine on gas. I have checked the ECB's, the 10 amp fuse, pressed the reset button all to no avail. I am at the point of trying to contact Truma.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like the wrap around heating element has failed, happened to mine and had to be replaced, the new one also failed and had to be replaced under the two year warranty it came with, no problem except I had to dismantle half the wardrobe to access the haeaer, I did this to save on the cost at the repairers, mine was done by WISPAIRE at Romsey, Trumma Agents, great people to deal with.

Just a shame that they apparently can't make an element that lasts more than 2 years of intermittent use. When a 5 quid kettle from tesco lasts for years

peter - 2011-10-09 9:17 PM

Just a shame that they apparently can't make an element that lasts more than 2 years of intermittent use. When a 5 quid kettle from tesco lasts for years

Well they can, my first one was 6 years old, the new one apparently was duff and had to be changed, Sods Law ?

The electric elements in a 6002EH are embedded in the central heat exchanger not an external belt element, that is the conversion for a non electric c series heater.

Tommo, does it work on electric for space heating or not? If not then the elements are the most likely item to have failed, fairly major job as the whole heater will need to be removed to replace them.

D.

tommo29 - 2011-10-09 5:00 PM

My Truma 6002 EH will not heat water in electric mode. All lights are on green on the top and yellow on the bottom. Will not work on 900 or 1800 watt settings, works fine on gas. I have checked the ECB's, the 10 amp fuse, pressed the reset button all to no avail. I am at the point of trying to contact Truma.

Any suggestions?

I shall assume

a) That you have owned and used your C-6002EH heater for a while and have become familiar with the way it operates.

b) That your heater has successfully heated water on 230V in the past and the problem you have described has suddenly occurred.

c) That you have a copy of Truma's C-6002EH Operating Instructions.

A Truma C-6002EH has a Power Selector Switch that permits the user to choose 230V electric operation (900W or 1800W) via a pair of heating elements integrated into the appliance's central heat-exchanger, or to choose gas-only operation, or to choose 'mixed' gas/230V operation (900W or 1800W). The Power Selector Switch carries a yellow 'electrc mode' indicator light that illuminates when the heater is operating on 230V.

A Truma C-6002EH also has a Control Panel that allows the user to select various combinations of water and/or blown-air heating and to adjust the leisure-vehicle's 'room temperature' when blown-air heating has been chosen.

(Referring to Truma's Operating Instructions) To heat water-only using 230V-only, position "C" (900W) or "D" (1800W) on the Power Selector Switch should be selected. On the Control Panel, the outer ring should be turned to either the "40" (40°C water temperature) or "60" (60°C water temperature) position.

This procedure should cause the following to happen:

1. The yellow light on the Power Selector Switch should illuminate and remain illuminated until the heater is turned off (or gas mode is selected).

2. A green "Operation Monitor" light on the Control Panel should illuminate and remain illuminated until the heater is turned off (or a fault occurs).

3. A yellow "Water heating phase" monitor-light on the Control Panel should illuminate and remain illuminated until the water in the heater has attained a temperature of 40°C or 60°C depending on which Control Panel setting the user has chosen.

I'm not sure whether your description "All lights are on green on the top and yellow on the bottom" exactly matches 1-3 above, but, if the yellow "Water heating phase" monitor-light on your heater's Control Panel is not illuminating, then the problem may relate to the heater's water-temperature-sensing thermostats.

As Dave Newell suggests, try selecting electric (230V) operation and blown-air operation (turn the 'room temperature' dial to position "9")? If the heater then produces warm air you will at least have have confirmed that the 230V heating elements are OK: if not then that's where the problem lies regarding the water heating.

As you've already followed Truma's trouble-shooting advice regarding 230V electrical operation fault-finding (confirm 230V availability, check 10A fuse, reset overheating switch) I don't think there's much else you can do other than seek advice from Truma.

Who to go to will depend on your location. If you contact Truma uk at Derby they can advise on your most local service engineers. You probably need to allow a couple of hours labour plus the cost of the elements themselves, all too often the unit is installed in a difficult to access location and it will definitely need to be removed to replace the elements.

D.

Archived