Easylifter Hydra Trail WANTED

crob

Hi All

I have looked recently at the Easylifter Hydra Trail as manufactured by Easy Lifter Systems of Loughborough. It sits on a couple of small wheels and cleverly rotates the trailer as you reverse. I have a 220kg scooter, and this seems the ideal solution - BUT OUCH! the cost. Over £1,000 plus the cost of a towbar.

So, does anyone have/know of anyone, who has a used one available for sale, please?

Thanks for reading this.

Keep on travelling!

Colin Robinson.

These have been discussed on here before(by flicka I think?)and there's a lengthy discussion over on the MHF forum..

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-85106-new-easylifter-hydra-trail.html

It seems as if some have questioned it's legality(..starts from about page 20-21 on the above forum)

It seems a novel idea though... ;-)

Edit:Sorry,didn't mean for the post to come over negative... :$ )

We saw one of these when we was on holiday in the Summer at the CC Brighton site. It had a 4 cylinder Susuki on it and it was an impressive piece of kit. OH went and chatted to the man that had bought a Burstner Elegance with this attached. It was very well made and worked impressively and looked really cool behind the motorhome. We think its worth the money, I know its a lot, but you get what you pay for.

Definitely something that we would think about if we wanted to tow a bike rather than the Smart.

I'm interested in one of these , but I'm a little concerned at the weight it would impose on the towbar, which is not designed to accept a very great download. Even vehicles like discoveries only have a noseweight capability of about a hundred kilo's. So I would guess that a motorhome would have considerably less, especially if there is a big overhang. But I stand to be corrected if anybody knows anything to the contrary.

peter - 2011-10-10 9:29 PM

I'm interested in one of these , but I'm a little concerned at the weight it would impose on the towbar, which is not designed to accept a very great download. Even vehicles like discoveries only have a noseweight capability of about a hundred kilo's. So I would guess that a motorhome would have considerably less, especially if there is a big overhang. But I stand to be corrected if anybody knows anything to the contrary.

Peter, it sits on two wheels like a very short trailer :-D

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm

Fiat Ducato ( Peugeot Boxer & Citroen Relay) nose weights vary depending on which Chassis (SWB, MWB, etc..) The Maxi version (2007 onwards) can take 100kg.

Those given in the vehicle manufacturers handbooks are for "standard" vehicles, i.e. without Motorhome chassis extensions.

Hopefully your Motorhome manual will give specific nose weight for your Motorhome.

Weight on rear of Motorhome

(with acknowledgement to D A Burleigh on Motorhomefacts)

"You have 4 weights to predict and compare with the limits:

1) Your payload should not be exceeded;

2) your rear axle loading should be less than the maximum;

3) your front axle loading should be greater than the minimum, and;

4) your loading on the towbar should be less than its maximum.

1) You have some control over,

2) and 3) Are problematic the greater your rear overhang from rear axle to load,

4) Can (though not always) be a killer for loading a scooter or motorcycle.

F=existing Front axle load (before adding new rear load)

R=existing Rear axle load (before adding new rear load)

L = weight of new rear load

W=wheelbase

O=Overhang centre rear axle to centre of mass of new rear load

Add new rear load, and

NewF = F - L*O/W

NewR = R + (O+W)*L/W (end quote)

Don't forget to include weight of Towbar to "R" if not already fitted.

While at the NEC today I asked Mr Easylifter directly about the c&u regs and requirement for suspension/springs between frame and wheels. He explained the function of the pantograph arrangement and questioned definitions of suspension/springs so I asked him again. He said "where does the frame begin and end. I said this didn't answer the question to which he got even grumpier than usual and just said "I've explained it twice!" He seems to consider that the "frame" is the motorhome. Other than this question of legality over suspension or lack thereof it is an excellently made piece of kit.

D.

peter - 2011-10-10 11:25 PM

They make a cheaper one that has all the weight on the towball. A 100Kg bike on there? I think not.

I assume you mean the one without the wheels. It does not sit all the weight on the towball, how could it remain level with just the towball supporting it? Their are two additional support points on the towbar bracket. Watling engineering, among others, will supply a towbar with a nose weight of 150kg.

DuxDeluxe - 2011-10-13 10:07 PM

I like the look of these but would not even consider buying one until the question of its legality has been resolved.

You could consider the EZETOW one which I have looked at. My current rack, which I have had four years works fine but I wish to buy a 250cc bike so weight becomes an issue. The Ezetow is about the same price, £1200, but includes a spare wheel and certainly has suspension.

We bought a Hydratrail this summer and have just come back from seven weeks in Germany, via the Dusseldorf show and Lake Constance, and we think it is a very good piece of kit. Everywhere we went, especially at the show, we got stopped and asked about it, and photos were taken. The opinion of various nationalities was that it was good, and cheap. The nearest equivalent is made in France and we were told it was approaching 4000 euros! Everywhere we went people said it was cheap. It did exactly what was claimed for it, and we found it quite easy to use. We have no connection with the firm other than being satisfied customers.

It might be an excellent piece of kit but I still want to know if it complies with the c&u regulations. As far as I can see ( have had a close look at one recently) it may not do so. Being a satisfied customer or not will not help in the event of a possible prosecution.

rupert123 - 2011-10-13 10:29 PM

You could consider the EZETOW one which I have looked at. My current rack, which I have had four years works fine but I wish to buy a 250cc bike so weight becomes an issue. The Ezetow is about the same price, £1200, but includes a spare wheel and certainly has suspension.

Thanks - I'll have a look

Hi Folks

I haven't been on the site recently due to the introduction of some competition in this part of the world,viz::

www.motorhomecraic.com. It's only kicked-off so perhaps you will have a look!

I have advertised a Honda PS125i Sporty and- wait for it- an EASYLIFTER HYDRATRAIL motorcycle/scooter rack for sale on :-

www.motorhomecraic.com;

ebay;

gumtree.

I will not bore you with details re the combination( you can look at photos and details on the above mentioned sites) but perhaps I might refer to my experiences with Easylifter Hydratrails (plural):

I had the original rack with one wheel and used it extensively at home and in France with absolutely no probs . When the Hydratrail with two wheels became available I purchased it and used it in France and at home wwith no probs either. Both racks were especially good for boarding/disembarking ferries due to their operating angles of depression and elevation.

May I say that whilst in France the local constabulary had cause to examine the rack with nothing but praise. Whilst in France I saw their attempt at a similar rack- it resembled a first world war tank!

The reason I purchased the Hydratrail was because of a payload issue with my mhome and some kind individual on this site referred me to the Hydratrail as it takes some 85% of the bike weight and the weight is trailed as opposed to carried on the mhome.

The reason I am selling the combination is because I've moved to a Toyota iQ and a Brian James trailer -- time and tide : old age!

rupert123 - 2011-10-13 10:25 PM

They make a cheaper one that has all the weight on the towball. A 100Kg bike on there? I think not.

I assume you mean the one without the wheels. It does not sit all the weight on the towball, how could it remain level with just the towball supporting it? Their are two additional support points on the towbar bracket. Watling engineering, among others, will supply a towbar with a nose weight of 150kg.

Not much point of doing that though, if the chassis won't take the load. As for a rack staying level on the towball only, I have a bike rack that does exactly this and has a max' loading of 75 Kgs

bob b - 2011-10-10 10:45 PM

I too would be a bit concerned about towbar loading. Although the weight sits on two wheels when stationary, once underway the weight will move fore and aft.  When braking, the weight would move onto the towbar I'd have thought.

The designed movement of the EHT in use would 'iron out' any possible issues I would think - it would certainly not be any worse than having a caravan on a tow ball - as you brake it puts more pressure on, as you pull away, it reduces ... so what's the difference?

I take Dave's point about it not having springs however, as I see it the designed movement of the framework between the main part of the trailer and the towball would even it out, as I said above.

Looking at the EHT and comparing it to an A frame, I'd quite happily use the EHT (assuming it is legal and done properly) but would be very cautious about an A frame!

:-S

May I refer to the aspect of "suspension". On examining the French version ,which has a type of suspension, i investigated this matter further and discovered the the Hydratrail's suspension is derived from the suspension fitted to the motorcycle. There's more to this rack then meets the eye!

As far as driving with the rack and bike you would not be aware it's there; it's especially efficient at reversing!

peter - 2011-10-18 8:07 PM

rupert123 - 2011-10-13 10:25 PM

Not much point of doing that though, if the chassis won't take the load. As for a rack staying level on the towball only, I have a bike rack that does exactly this and has a max' loading of 75 Kgs

Peter I must be missing something here. If a rack is just clicked onto a towbar with no additional support how can it possibly stay level, it would swivel around the ball. The chassis ability to take the load is another issue and it is easy to keep throwing up objections without trying to answer the question.

Archived