House Insurance. Beat this !!

art338

As an aged person it’s been my wont in the past to use the Saga system for house insurance. This week I received their annual quote of £293.09 for a simple buildings only cover with NO extras.

I have a plumber across the road and an electrician and a builder nearby, plus I do all minor repairs with few problems.

So … today I thought I would seek some alternative prices via the internet. Very simple was the answer and well over 50 quotes were shown. Tesco were the cheapest at £62.67.

Ah says I, no doubt a mistake here so I called their insurers (Tesco) and went all through the details, all was correct, they even used the same underwriters Ageas a UK company.

And … as a Tesco food customer a discount was offered. So I ended up paying £58.78 for what appears to be the same cover.

I’m not a particular fan of Tesco or any other company, but …………. Beat that.

art

Have to say, I have not heard that good reports on Saga home insurance. One client of ours put their house up for sale having previously claimed on their Saga policy for subsidence caused by a leaking water pipe. After that they continued to pay the annual premiums for a few years and then decided to move.

And then the fun started.

The survey flagged up the subsidence but Saga had not done something re one of the registers to state that the problem had been dealt with and signed off.

Hence no sale possible as no lender would lend against the house with this issue listed against it.

Saga were a nightmare to deal with and not at all helpful or sympathetic.

It was only when they were threatened with taking the costs incurred to the FOS and that full details of all correspondence demanded that they started to realise that they had to do something.

Once again the magnificent and awesome "Subject Access Request" via the Information Commissioner obtained all the information our client required to prove their point and the records were duly updated by SAGA and compensation paid. But the sale of the house was delayed by nearly a year!

What a nightmare!

8-)

Dave

No not at all, a quite normal semi house in a normal road, I need the simplest price I can find and I do all the maintenance required to keep it ticking along. I offer to pay the first £500 if making a claim so anything under that I would cover myself anyway.

I want no contents or any other cover, If a carpet or furniture gets damaged or lost then thats my fault and I will buy another, simple. If you wanr to see the house on Google Earth I will pm you details.

And yes I do have a big shed and its big enough to live in and I did sleep in it when it was too hot.

art

We have used Tesco the last two years, this year it came in at £250 house and contents (in our case detached bungalow) I got a quote from Saga for £191 rang Tesco to tell them we wouldnt be going with them and not to take the payment DD, he asked what our best quote was when I told him he gave us it for the same plus £20 in vouchers ;-) so it was worth ringing around. Havent received the vouchers yet ! but as its not due untill the 18th Ill wait and see.

That quote art would be hard to beat I would think, but personally I wouldn't be happy having no content cover. I just did a quick recon up on what we would need if we lost everything and our house is only 2 bed. It would be in the region of £15000 + replacing like for like.

I like peace of mind ;-)

Dave

Insurance companies are rip off merchants. My motorbike insurance was due this month and i recieved the usual reminder through the post a couple of weeks before. A week before the due date i got a phone call from them asking if I'd recieved the reminder and woud i like to go ahead with the policy. I told them i was just checking against other companies (their renewal price was the best so far anyway) and they immediately offered me £20 off if i went ahead tha day. Same underwriters same excess same everthing. >:-(

Regarding any contents cover insurance we have no problems with that, we are simple in mind and outlook and only pay out for what we consider necessities like vehicle insurance where others can cause damage our property. Should we have a serious loss within the house we are fortunate in that there is always the M/home to live in until improvements are made.

We consider it’s all a matter of common sense like switching off all appliances when away from the building and at night and turning off water mains when away. Removing aerial connections if the weather is stormy, and so on. We live very comfortably and consider that any errors that are likely to occur are our own making and therefore act accordingly.

We have no thoughts on ‘peace of mind’ as has been suggested, the insurance industry aims to suggest that we should be non-responsible for our own actions. We have a different view.

art

Art, whilst I respect that you are entitled to insure what you deem to be required, have you actually gone through what you consider to be the 'basics' and totted up the cost of replacing just them ... such as furniture, clothes, towels, curtains, crocker, pans etc, etc - the very small premium that it would cost you to have a small amount of contents cover would be miniscule compared to what you'd need to spend to replace even a fraction of your stuff. I appreciate that you seem to do all the right things in turning off appliances etc, but you simply cannot allow for everything. I really hope you never have any misfortune but I think you are taking a very big gamble ... for example, what about if you are burgled, or a pipe bursts and floods the place and can cause an awful lot of damage very very quickly - it does happen.

nowtelse2do - 2011-10-11 1:05 PM

Is anyone going to Portugal, if so can you pick this up for me.

e-bay item no 250906762934.

Will now have to up my contents insurance to a minimum £75000 8-)

Dave

Wow, you could really have a brilliant Greek party with that lot ....! (lol)

In my view Art isn't considering replacement cost.

He's considering insurance on the balance of probability. All insurance is a gamble, (in my view) particularly the type that's not compulsory, i.e contents.

My Mother and I have this conversation every year. She whinges about the cost of boiler and central heating cover but then I remind that she needs warmth and hot water in a boiler failure.

Does she, (or more likely me), also want the hassle of trying to find a plumber?

Then there's fact that she can afford it without thinking about it - good for her.

She then pays up having had the gamble explained.

Martyn

We all know contents insurence is a rip off, we have been paying it for 50 years now and have only ever claimed for a coffee table glass top !! but still we pay because we Might have a fire or some such catastrophe :-S and you can bet yor life if we decide not to pay it THAT IS EXACTLY what will happen. Mad or What??

maggyd - 2011-10-11 10:14 PMWe all know contents insurence is a rip off, we have been paying it for 50 years now and have only ever claimed for a coffee table glass top !! but still we pay because we Might have a fire or some such catastrophe :-S and you can bet yor life if we decide not to pay it THAT IS EXACTLY what will happen. Mad or What??

If it's a 'rip off' why do you keep paying it? Then again you could be like my friend whose pipe burst when he was away for a month and completely flooded the  entire house. It had to be gutted and almost rebuilt inside. The contents, worth about £75K, were a write-off and it cost the insurance company thousands of pounds just to put him in rented temporary accommodation for three months.

I suspect that the entire episode cost his insurers £250K and I also suspect that he doesn't think that contents cover is a 'rip off' and neither would you if you ever have to claim!

Just in case people haven't worked it out, that's how insurance works!A hundred of us pay and only ten may make a claim - but if you're one of the ten..........!

And what price is peace of mind? Just imagine going away and spending the entire holiday worrying about if your uninsured house is going to be OK.

Guest Peter James
LordThornber - 2011-10-11 8:51 PM

In my view Art isn't considering replacement cost.

He's considering insurance on the balance of probability. All insurance is a gamble, (in my view) particularly the type that's not compulsory, i.e contents.

My Mother and I have this conversation every year. She whinges about the cost of boiler and central heating cover but then I remind that she needs warmth and hot water in a boiler failure.

Does she, (or more likely me), also want the hassle of trying to find a plumber?

Then there's fact that she can afford it without thinking about it - good for her.

She then pays up having had the gamble explained.

Martyn

Problem with boiler & central heating cover is that if they say they can't fix it because parts are not available you still have to pay for a new boiler.

Watchdog found British Gas claiming parts were not avalable that were easily sourced over the internet, then claiming £3k to fit a new boiler a local plumber would do for half the price.

Mothers cover is with Homeserve, her policy covers all eventualities I'm happy to say. That's why we, (she) buys the warranty - it's on a needs met basis.

As for British Gas, well we don't have cover but 2 years ago our boiler went dicky and of course it was in winter - when else?

We couldn't get a plumber to save our life so gave in and used the one off British Gas deal which then was summat like £168. Now of course that £168 covered a repair no matter what, be it a 20p washer or a new boiler.

Haha, what a good result, over the course of 3 visits they finally repaired it after fitting over £350 worth of parts and goodness knows how much equivalent labour costs.

I dread to think how much a "normal" repair would have cost.

We were very glad of having the van to live in and shower in with it living at home or we'd have been struggling to keep warm and clean 8-)

Martyn

Guest Peter James

Glad you got your money's worth Martin.

I have cheap electric heaters as my back up.

Extra running cost must be a lot less than an emergency plumber.

Peter James - 2011-10-12 2:53 PMGlad you got your money's worth Martin.I have cheap electric heaters as my back up.Extra running cost must be a lot less than an emergency plumber.

How terribly clever of you. Tell me, my emergency plumber gets things up and running very quickly and I can then do civilised things such as have a hot bath or a shower.

How long does it take you to fill a bath using your electric kettle, or perhaps you balance pans of water on your inexpensive electric heaters?

Or maybe you're not bothered about having baths or showers if it involves spending a few quid on a decent emergency service? 

francisgraham - 2011-10-11 11:15 PM
maggyd - 2011-10-11 10:14 PMWe all know contents insurence is a rip off, we have been paying it for 50 years now and have only ever claimed for a coffee table glass top !! but still we pay because we Might have a fire or some such catastrophe :-S and you can bet yor life if we decide not to pay it THAT IS EXACTLY what will happen. Mad or What??

If it's a 'rip off' why do you keep paying it? Then again you could be like my friend whose pipe burst when he was away for a month and completely flooded the  entire house. It had to be gutted and almost rebuilt inside. The contents, worth about £75K, were a write-off and it cost the insurance company thousands of pounds just to put him in rented temporary accommodation for three months.

I suspect that the entire episode cost his insurers £250K and I also suspect that he doesn't think that contents cover is a 'rip off' and neither would you if you ever have to claim!

Just in case people haven't worked it out, that's how insurance works!A hundred of us pay and only ten may make a claim - but if you're one of the ten..........!

And what price is peace of mind? Just imagine going away and spending the entire holiday worrying about if your uninsured house is going to be OK.

Yes that is exactly why we pay it :-) but we still can have a grummble cant we??

Although I am now in the gardening business I am actually a qualified plumber of the old school and it amazes and amuses me of how people can be so easily ripped off by people like British gas.

My gas registration certificate ran out a long time ago and it is not worth my while renewing it but that does not stop people beating a path to my door in the winter for advice on what is wrong with their broken boiler.

Because my ticket has run out it means that I cannot touch any gas appliance, I wouldn't entertain any combi or condencing boiler, my own boiler is a Glow Worm wall mounted balanced flue, cast iron heat exchanger and the only thing that can go wrong is a boiler stat or a thermo couple of which are easily sourced. There are times when I have had people crying down the phone asking me to come out and repair their boilers but of course I can't now my ticket has run out, I feel really sorry for people who get ripped off.

francisgraham - 2011-10-12 3:11 PM

How terribly clever of you. Tell me, my emergency plumber gets things up and running very quickly and I can then do civilised things such as have a hot bath or a shower.

How long does it take you to fill a bath using your electric kettle, or perhaps you balance pans of water on your inexpensive electric heaters?

Or maybe you're not bothered about having baths or showers if it involves spending a few quid on a decent emergency service? 
Hi NutjobI see you are still incapable of answering anyone without reverting to your usual sneers and patronising manner.

Guest Peter James

I think francisgraham is up for a Duke of Edinburgh's Award, same as me ;-)

When I say Emergency Plumber I'm thinking of the sort you see on Rogue Traders. Usually a big Emergency Plumber advert in yellow pages, with a freephone number.

With what they charge, you can run an immersion heater, microwave, convector heaters etc etc for a long time.

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2011-10-12 6:38 PMI think francisgraham is up for a Duke of Edinburgh's Award, same as me ;-)
Nooo........ he'd be wasted there.......I reckon the Samaritans:D  

Archived