Electrical and gas adaptors on Hymer bought in Germany

eldimmo

Hi Everyone! Looking very seriously at importing a 3 year old Hymer from Germany to UK. Has anyone any info please on gas and electrical connection/adaptors from German standard to UK/other European countries or are there any 'universal' fittings? The van has 2x11 kg (propane?) (I believe this is a German standard?) and european (german) mains and 12 v sockets. Also , completely separate from this, has anyone solved the problem of "Comprehensive " insurance from the point of collection (in this case Southern Germany)?? Many thanks in anticipation Ben

I suggest you contact Hambleton Engineering (Tel: 01772 315078) for information on electric/gas adapters and what's available. Personally, on my German specification Hobby, I use the common-or-garden mult-fit 230v 'Continental travel' adapters that are widely obtainable in this country. I considered swapping the German-spec 230V outlets for cosmetically matching UK 3-pinners and decided against it, but the latter are obtainable if you want to go down that road. 'Officially imported' Hymer(UK) RHD motorhomes certainly have them. Can't really help with the 12V outlets as I don't use them, but the simplest option might be to purchase a few German-spec plugs when you are over there and put them on whatever appliances you plan to run on 12V. I believe Hambleton can provide an adapter to convert a German propane connection to the UK traditional LH-threaded male 'poll' propane connector. This would be appropriate if the vehicle has an on-bottle 30mbar regulator. If it has a 'fixed' bulkhead-mounted regulator then the best thing might be to swap the bottle-to-regulator gas-hose for one that fits UK gas bottles. Depends which bottles you plan to use (a big subject covered extensively in earlier forum threads). The 'comprehensive' insurance question is currently being addressed (see "Buying a Secondhand Motorhome in Germany" thread). Hopefully I shall be able to get a conclusive answer from the Caravan Club on this matter and I'll report my findings to the forum when I'm in a position to do so.

Thanks for the PM thanks. I seem to have a blind spot about the name of this company and I thought I hadn't got it spot-on when I originally replied to your enquiry. The phone number I gave is right, but the company's correct name is HAMBILTON Engineering. They have an informative website (www.hymerdirect.com) that carries additional contact details.

Archived