Digital MMM

Daniel the editor

Good evening

Lots of you have been asking for this, so I am happy to be able to tell you that we have just launched an online version of MMM.

It is an exact digital copy of the printed magazine and is available through iTunes (for your iPad or iPhone) or through the following link, which allows you to view it on your laptop or home PC:

http://www.pocketmags.com/viewmagazine.aspx?titleid=666&title=MMM

We hope you will find this useful when you are travelling in your motorhome and are not able to buy a printed copy.

It will go on sale as soon as the printed version comes out.

Over the coming months we will be uploading back issues so you can use this new online service as an archive and (if you want) no longer have to store printed copies in your spare room (or wherever).

Also (hopefully by Christmas) you will be able to download a digital issue and store it on your hard drive rather than just view it over the internet as currently. This means you can have a searchable pdf of an issue on your computer to view wherever and whenever you want.

You can do this already on your iPad but not yet on a PC or laptop. I'll post again as soon as this is available.

However, for now if you buy an issue you can view it for as long as you want and as many times as you want on your PC or laptop using your wi-fi connection.

I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks

Daniel

bob b - 2011-10-10 10:38 PM

How about an introductory free edition? It would encourage people (like me) to tryout the new format.

I like this idea :-D :-D :-D

When the downloadable version comes out, what format will it be in (?)

I would like to break them down - so all Reviews together, all Touring articles together, all Interchange articles together, etc..

Will this be possible.

flicka - 2011-10-10 11:42 PM

How about an introductory free edition? It would encourage people (like me) to tryout the new format.

I like this idea :-D :-D :-D

When the downloadable version comes out, what format will it be in (?)

I would like to break them down - so all Reviews together, all Touring articles together, all Interchange articles together, etc..

Will this be possible.

I would have thought that the downloadable edition would be no different fron the on-line version - ie. "an exact digital copy of the printed magazine". Assuming this means a common-or-garden .pdf file, then you should be able to create your own 'sectioned' version easily enough.

I noticed on the PocketMags website that my subscription would start with the next issue, but if you want to start earlier you can send them an email to request a previous edition.

As I am interested in something in the current issue, I sent the email and received a reply within 15 minutes saying that it had been included.

I looked straight away at my account and sure enough the October MMM was there.

How's that for service!

More than some merit in this even if it's only an old copy to pilot. I say this for the following reasons:

1 I currently subscribe to the hard copy version and am unlikely to buy a second subscription and would not wish to stop my current sub. until I know it works for me.

2. For those of us who have to depend on Welsh rural broadband speeds I would want to make sure I can down load it first. i.e. a Tomtom map takes 6 hours to download.

3. And finally for most people reading from a screen can be more difficult and I would want to see if it suits me.

So all in all a little free trial or pilot would certainly encourage me to test it out. I'm sorry if this sound negative, I actual like the idea and if it worked would certainly convert.

OK lots of questions there – so in turn:

Yes we are working on getting it compatible with the Kindle. I don’t have a timeframe yet, but it is work in progress. I’ll let you all know as soon as it becomes Kindle friendly.

Introductory free offers: unfortunately the costs associated with getting this live on the platforms we currently offer it on plus other costs mean it can't be free, but we have kept the price as low as we can. I think it is great value considering it is exactly the same as the print version (except of course there is no paper). With the app included, you can trial a single issue for under £2:50. I want as many people as possible to have a go with this and I know it will not suit everyone, but for those wanting to try it out I think £2:50 is acceptable.

Downloadable version: the downloadable version will be exactly the same as the print issue and the same as the issues you can currently get on iTunes and pocketmags. It will simply be a pdf version that you can store on your hard drive. I think this will be a great advancement as it can be searched and filed as you wish and easily accessed. And yes you will be able to split it as you wish, so all technical or travel pages can be grouped and stored together. I hope to have this facility available in the next few months.

How big is the pdf: it is big but not as big as it was! I can find out the exact size, but don't know it off hand. Some of the delay in getting this live is down to the fact that MMM is one of the largest magazines (in terms of pagination) on the shelves. Reducing the print pdfs to a size that can be easily downloaded has been a major challenge. But with a good braodband speed it should now take no more than a few minutes (it hasn't taken me more than 10 mins from a variety of wi-fi spots including a couple of free ones). We are working on making it even smaller, but don't want to compromise the quality of the pictures. We are also putting in hyperlinks and telephone links (for those of you who use the iPhone/andriod app). However, because there are over 1,000 web addresses in the average issue, this has also caused problems, so currently we have to limit the number of live hyperlinks. Again this will be resolved shortly.

Subscriptions and subscriber benefits: none of the benefits that a print subscriber enjoys are transferable to a digital subscription. Again watch this space as we intend to link the subscriptions systems so there will be the need to just subscribe once and switch between getting a printed copy (when you're at home) and a digital copy (when you're travelling). This is also wip, but it is my intention to get this available asap. However for now you need to subscribe to the printed version to get all the member benefits and can either have another subscription to the digital version or even buy individual digital copies when you want them. Bear in mind that Apple (not MMM) has recently (last night) changed its iTunes t&cs, so have a read of them if you download through this service. I could subject you to them but the document is 62 pages long! Should help me sleep tonight.

I hope that helps. I am excited by this launch - a digital version will suit so many readers because you travel so much. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks

Right ok...... quite like the idea of electronic copy, but as a long term subscriber having had all the previous issues, why would I want to pay again for what I already have bought just to save space and throw out previous copy that I have kept!!

When this idea was first muted I, stupidly it now seems, thought that previous issues would be available on CD/ DVD at nominal cost as has been done by other magazines.

So not good from my point of view, I guess I will remain a paper subscriber and occasionally throw out the piles of out of date copy.

Bas

Daniel the editor - 2011-10-13 8:14 PM

How big is the pdf: it is big but not as big as it was! I can find out the exact size, but don't know it off hand.

For some people who only have a 1gb broadband download limit and use if for downloading other stuff too, it all adds up.

So sometimes size DOES matter and this is one of those times so please if you could oblige with the size when you get the chance I'm sure we'd be grateful. :-D

Archived