Digital MMM

Daniel the editor

Thanks Daniel

Nice to see that you do listen to requests for subscribers.

For those who don't know I was the person who made the original request, as I was going full time and had no address to continue paper subscriptions.

I let my subscription lapse and purchased copies as and when from newsagents.

Thanks also to Jim who kept copies for me while I was in Spain last winter.

I have now subscribed to the digital version

I assume the .pdf version will include all the ads, and it is not possible to omit/delete these? If it were possible to leave these off it would, presumably, reduce the file size by 50-75%, which would be a help.

May I also ask whether postal subscribers also have to pay to download the .pdf copies? I ask, because those who subscribe only to the electronic version will, of course, be able to retain the .pdf files for future reference at no extra cost (in fact, at reduced cost :-)), whereas those who opt for paper copies will either have to resort to the scanner, store paper, or lose it.

Final question. It is usually an just article, or an interchange item, or similar, that one would like to keep for reference. Is there any way these can be split out of the whole magazine, so that only the parts of interest need be saved? I appreciate this may be possible for anyone who has the full version of Acrobat, but given its price, I'd think that will be very few of us. :-) Could the electronic magazine be compiled as a series of .pdf files, like chapters, that could be saved individually (a bit like tearing out and filing the pages), possibly - to keep the advertisers happy - only after the whole mag has been downloaded?

Brian Kirby - 2011-10-15 4:03 PM

Final question. It is usually an just article, or an interchange item, or similar, that one would like to keep for reference. Is there any way these can be split out of the whole magazine, so that only the parts of interest need be saved? I appreciate this may be possible for anyone who has the full version of Acrobat, but given its price, I'd think that will be very few of us. :-) Could the electronic magazine be compiled as a series of .pdf files, like chapters, that could be saved individually (a bit like tearing out and filing the pages), possibly - to keep the advertisers happy - only after the whole mag has been downloaded?

There is plenty of freeware available that can do that. My favourite is

http://www.pdfsam.org/

Bas

Brian Kirby - 2011-10-16 5:27 PM

Thanks for that Basil. Do you mean it allows you to abstract complete parts of a .pdf file, even if password protected, including for example illustrations, and save them intact as separate files? Like taking a scan off the .pdf?

I've not actually worked with pictures in a .pdf but I have joined and removed parts of pdf's (including so called protected ones) and it appears to be able to cope with that quite happily.

Bas

Archived