aires/stelplatz in germany

fairweather camper

Hi Val

I agree the "Bordatlas" is the best resource, but I'd advise you to buy the book (Vicarious sell it) as well as download the POIs.

Reason being, the Bordatlas includes a wide range of "stopovers," from parking places to campsites, with different charges (including some free ones), and different facilities. It's not just a German version of an "aires" guide. The POIs give you the locations (very accurately), but the book will help you decide which ones suit you.

It's in German, but the symbols and limited vocabulary mean that even if you've only got "basic holiday German" you'll soon get the hang of it.

They also do a second, slimmer, volume covering the rest of Europe - but sparsely! Even so, we found these two books by far the most useful on a multi-country tour in 2009.

Enjoy yourselves!

fairweather camper - 2011-10-11 1:11 PMWe are travelling in Germany next June/July and would like to use Aires/Stelplatz is there a website that has these on that i could download to my Garmin.I have downloaded the French ones, but cannot seam to find any for Germany.Any help would be most appreciated.Val & Bob

Have you got an extension hose for your grey water? Some of the newest Stellplatz have the grey waste, with the chem. waste in a shuttered box. Once you've put your Euros in, the shutter opens but you need an extension to pipe the water from your waste tap into the box.

I agree the Bordatlas is the best but, if you can afford it, the Dutch book "Camperstop" comes up with a few alternatives http://www.outdoorbits.com/camperstop-europe-2011-guide-book-isbn-9789076080253-p-1792.html

WhiteCheyenneMan - 2011-10-12 ,

if you can afford it, the Dutch book "Camperstop" comes up with a few alternatives http://www.outdoorbits.com/camperstop-europe-2011-guide-book-isbn-9789076080253-p-1792.html

[/quote

As a result of this suggestion I looked on the Outdoor Bits website yesterday afternoon, finding it easy to use and liked the opportunity to view some pages of the Camperstop Europe book.

Although the p&p is expensive, Outdoor Bits' overall price was the cheapest I could find for the book so I ordered it and IT ARRIVED TODAY. That was excellent service.

Thanks for the recommendation WCM.

mel wood - 2011-10-18 11:50 AM
WhiteCheyenneMan - 2011-10-12 , if you can afford it, the Dutch book "Camperstop" comes up with a few alternatives http://www.outdoorbits.com/camperstop-europe-2011-guide-book-isbn-9789076080253-p-1792.html

[/quoteAs a result of this suggestion I looked on the Outdoor Bits website yesterday afternoon, finding it easy to use and liked the opportunity to view some pages of the Camperstop Europe book.Although the p&p is expensive, Outdoor Bits' overall price was the cheapest I could find for the book so I ordered it and IT ARRIVED TODAY. That was excellent service.Thanks for the recommendation WCM.

Pleasure ;)

This Summer we travelled from Calais through the Mosel and Rhine valleys - absolutely brilliant. I had recently purchased the Ventura Snooper satnav and it has all of the Bord Atlas sites on it and in English. The stelplatz are usually excellent and some of them are unbelievably good. The satnav not only listed them but gave information on them, hard standing, toilets etc. It always took me to the chosen site with no problems. There are so many stelplatz up and down the Mosel and Rhine you will not have a problem.

We did the same as you Geof then we went along the Romantic Straz and on to Fussen then back tracked along the other side of the Mosel :-D we love Germany we seem to find more places to stay than when we come back into France! that was the 4th year doing that ;-) I wonder where we will go next year??!! probably right. B-)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived